Gimbal Lock?

Reaction score
Does anyone use the plastic gimbal lock/holder that it came with in the original packaging? I can't tell if it's bad for the gimbal to just let it swing around freely in the case when transporting it. It seems very fragile but it also weighs almost nothing so I don't think it could break from it's own weight by swinging around. Just would like to hear opinions. I have been putting the gimbal lock back on after every use but I feel like I'm going to break something every time I put it on because it doesn't exactly slide on easily.

I use both the lens cover and gimbal lock when not flying.

The lens cover is easy, the gimbal lock is almost impossible to get back on. The gimbal is like a Slinky and the Lock is such a complex shape I can never remember how it's suppose to be positions or which side it goes on and in what position! I always feel so stupid and uncoordinated until I finally get everything oriented and the lock is in place!

RedRyderMedia said:
I use both the lens cover and gimbal lock when not flying.

The lens cover is easy, the gimbal lock is almost impossible to get back on. The gimbal is like a Slinky and the Lock is such a complex shape I can never remember how it's suppose to be positions or which side it goes on and in what position! I always feel so stupid and uncoordinated until I finally get everything oriented and the lock is in place!

i can't seem to get my gimbal lock back on for the life of me! i have looked at all the pictures online with the lock in place, but when i try to slide it on, it seems to put the camera at a weird position and will not slide on all the way without forcing it on which i do not want to do!

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1398084698029.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398084698029.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398084698029.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 5,880
I'm sooooo glad I'm not the only one having a difficult time with it! I've even labeled top and bottom with a Sharpie pen and I still stand there looking at it like a monkey scratching my head! LMAO!!!!

I don't have mine yet, so I'm speaking out of class ...... but coudn't you just cut a block out of some closed cell/stiff foam (like pipe insulation/swim noodle) and use that to imobilize it? :?: :?:
Might be less stress (on both the gimbal and the pilot) than trying to fit a hard plastic lock back in place .........

doesn't look all that complicated (I don't have mine yet, comes tomorrow).

Its got those little groves in the plastic to grip with your fingers. Just remember to always hold that grippy part with your fingers and slide it on right to left (when camera facing you)

Getting the gimbal lock back on isn't the easiest thing, but I always install it when transporting or storing the Vision+. While wrestling it on I always feel like I am going to snag one of the little ribbon cables and mess up the camera. It is becoming easier with repeated installations though.

Here's the way that I have found it easiest to put the gimbal lock on:

Lean the P2V+ onto its back arms. (Position the props sideways so that the Phantom rests steady on its back arms.)
Hold the camera in the approximate correct position with your left hand.
Slide the gimbal lock on with your right hand.
You may have to slightly (SLIGHTLY!) move the camera, as the gimbal lock seems to get stuck on the "ceiling", the flat part over the camera.

got it on finally, but i did have to force it a little, which makes me very nervous! hopefully someone comes out with a 3d printable new design which doesn't put so much stress on it!

b00st3d said:
got it on finally, but i did have to force it a little, which makes me very nervous! hopefully someone comes out with a 3d printable new design which doesn't put so much stress on it!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:404960

I just found this seconds ago. Right after I removed my gimbal lock for the first time (I dont ever want to do it again). :?

Your exactly correct it's hard to get on and I fear breaking the gimbal every time I put it on. In fact look closely at the lock. It doesn't appear to lock on. In fact although it does hold the camera still it is only pushing down on the camera and not actually holding it up. I think a downward blow like dropping the box would break the gimbal and the lock would do nothing to prevent this. BECAUASE it doesn't hold the camera up but only pushes down on it. I have been searching for some thing made from soft foam to use instead of this plastic thing... I don't put the lock on often, only when I will be moving a lot. Lastly I stuff something ( foam ) inside the battery compartment as a reminder I have the gimbal lock on before inserting the battery...

Jeff

ive read reports that this lock can cause damage to the gimble over time, and is the cause of a lot of issues, including the camera shake of death, i am printing out the gimble lock from thingverse, ill let you know how i get on, as the original lock acts on the force between the phantom and the camera, and if forced or pushed, it will put strain on the 3 axis gimble, so im taking no chances, the 3d printed lock using the leg as secure fitting, makes sence

Reactions: David Bruce Kerr
Does anyone use the plastic gimbal lock/holder that it came with in the original packaging? I can't tell if it's bad for the gimbal to just let it swing around freely in the case when transporting it. It seems very fragile but it also weighs almost nothing so I don't think it could break from it's own weight by swinging around. Just would like to hear opinions. I have been putting the gimbal lock back on after every use but I feel like I'm going to break something every time I put it on because it doesn't exactly slide on easily.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20