Gimbal Jello kind of a shake every once in a while???

Reaction score
So the only problem besides the changing light problem is i notice a shake or so and then the gimbal evens out the video. Is anyone else experiencing this...not sure if its me suddenly turning or rotating or maybe just a high wind but its not rock steady all the time. If anyone can shed any light on this..dont know if there is something i can do to recalibrate it attached to computer to resolve this issue? first ten seconds around 7-11 you can see the shake from side to side at 2:40 slight..I cut most of it out but do notice it quite a bit on videos i've been shooting..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmm1zzYxlhY

Looks like a bit of Cmos or CCD wobble and there isn't much that can be done about that. Check your gimbal operation while holding the phantom with the motors off but a battery plugged in by gently rocking it to and fro and side to side and see if you see any gimbal instability. If not it's probably the problem I mentioned. You should be able to go into the Naza assistant software and calibrate the gimbal.

Ozzyguy said:
Looks like a bit of Cmos or CCD wobble and there isn't much that can be done about that.

Since the Vision uses a CMOS sensor there is absolutely no possibility that the wobble is related to a CCD sensor.

It does not look like it related to the sensor at all as the bad sections of video are not the classic rolling shutter aka jello.

I would check the gimbal for restriction due to mounting and/or cabling and then do the same yawing at lower altitudes where you can see if the gimbal is binding or jerking.

Thats why I included both in my explanation as I did't know which one hence 'CMOS OR CCD. I thought it would be obvious to the simplest of minds.

Ozzyguy said:
Thats why I included both in my explanation as I did't know which one hence 'CMOS OR CCD. I thought it would be obvious to the simplest of minds.

Speaking of simple minds, please explain how a CCD sensor can exhibit "wobble" aka rolling shutter or "jello."

Answer - since a CCD sensor captures an entire frame at one time vs. scanning top to bottom like a CMOS sensor it can't happen.

Simple-minded indeed to compare apples and oranges as you did. Not helpful except to make folks chuckle at your post.

sounds like i'lll have to live with it and just edit out those parts on the video...i've also seen where they say i should do balancing..with sandpaper with the props...might help....how do you check the gimbal calibration to see if its doing anything out of the ordinary with the software im not savvy at using this yet...by the way the house is nice..thanks its a friends and its 6000 sq feet right next to a large lake...

Ozzyguy said:

I notice I this at random times as well but more often when in full forward flight or hovering with camera at about a 45
Ive been trying to narrow it down myself by watching my vids never happens in sideways flight or or slow forward flight
thought I had I figured out as wind pressure on the camera but then noticed it in a hover on a few.

Im with you very random and not every flight

I was just trying to help not bludgeon others who are trying to help to feel superior. Now any sensor will have issues with the len vibration distorting the captured image. Rolling shutter which I didn't even mention is a different, thing involving as you said the sensor scanning the image.

Ozzyguy said:
Now any sensor will have issues with the len vibration distorting the captured image.

You are just digging that hole of ignorance deeper and deeper.

CCD sensors handle vibration much better than CMOS sensors and capture crisp video even with the len[sic} is vibrating. It comes down to how the sensor captures the light coming through the lens.

Not helpful once again.

topshotphoto
I looked at your video and yours looks exactly what mine is doing..except mine doesn't do it all the time..just occasionally...Im outside the swap out period..and guess i'll have to live with it..and like i said just edit out that footage....its kind of annoying it does that...i guess two years from now they'll iron out this gimbal problem and have better gimbals to use...well at least for now mine is flying well...im nervous reading all the problems peeps here are having...if i lose this thing..i won't spend another 1300 to replace....not worth playing russian roulette with this high priced toy....

Just so we're all on the same page, you are not in FPV mode are you? If you are switch it off and test your video. The full gimbal action (smooth video) will only work with FPV turned off.

Oh and for everyone on this thread, please keep the sarcasm for other sites. You may not realize it but you're discouraging others from participating. The users on this forum are overwhelmingly newbies, myself included, who are trying to learn as much as possible about their new expensive toy. Let's keep it friendly.

With a house like that you almost deserve a little extra Jello :)
However this is not something ordinary. It is as far as I can see not caused by FPV mode, shutter rolling or anything of such.
You might want to check the gimbal cables, motors/blades (In case in fact the whole Phantom is shaking)
Otherwise live with it or try to use the warranty.

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers