Gimbal guards

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a gimbal guard for my P3P and I was going go with the UAV Bits gimbal guard but my friend showed me this one. Anybody has any info on this one in the pic???

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1448662098.434609.jpg

They look like they are the same thing - a CF brace to strengthen the legs and protect the camera and gimbal. I have the one from UAV bits, but I'd save myself $10 and go for the Amazon one if I were buying again.

Reactions: Mark Bailey
I have a similar gimbal guard and the same lens cap. I personally don't like the glare cap but it would provide some protection to the lens. I believe the added protection of the gimble guard to the expensive camera and gimble system is far greater than any minimal drag it may cause.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I have the same "kit". As discussed here before I don't believe the gimbal guard is necessary. It could cause your bird to "high Center" and tip on landing. If your bird crashes from any altitude that guard isn't going to do much to protect your camera from getting ripped from its mount. Also the sun shield for the camera lens is a little sketchy- once mounted it's difficult to remove without stressing the camera, at least it was on mine. The camera lens cap is waaaay more difficult to install than the original. Thumbs down on all three items. If you do buy I think you will use the items once and then they will be in the dust collecting pile. Save your moola and buy an extra battery!!

I don't ever plan on having a hard landing, but having owned Phantoms since their introduction, I have broken the landing gear on both my P1 and P2 when landing hard. It doesn't take much to snap those spindly legs. If you trash the camera or break the gimbal it is a $600 fix. For me the cost of this was well worth the protection it offers.
I've also installed a device similar to this one to protect that fragile ribbon cable in case of a crash:
http://www.amazon.com/SUMOMOTO-Gimb...66&sr=8-4&keywords=phantom+3+gimbal+protector

I've noticed no decrease in flight times since installing either.
The vast majority of Phantom owners probably don't use either guard and most never have a crash, but for me they both are an investment in prolonging the life of my camera (and my wallet).
Have no idea about the sun shades. Living in the Pacific Northwest, I rarely need them.

I agree, the gimble guard doesn't help much with a high engery impacts or falling through tree branches,(been there, done that) etc., but it does provide protection on landings and low level flying. I have a cow-calf farm in the hills of Appalachia and do most of my flying to most of my flying to check on all my scattered cattle so I find the guard benificial when landing or hovering around hillside pasture land. But one thing you must watch for is the guard snaging on a stiff weed, old tree branch or the like and causing the drone to nose down.

The gimbal guard provides a great deal of protection to the camera. The legs by themselves are no protection at all in a crash, they tend to spread apart and leave the camera exposed.
Which ever guard you get, be sure it is carbon fiber, (plastic or 3D printed guards are simply not strong enough.)

Reactions: Mark Bailey
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZNYVBWO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

I looked for a long time and ended up with this one and the gimble saver because I also bought the professional lense kit from rainbowers here on the forum, so I wanted the extra protection and I'm happy with everything. The lense kit comes with a lense cap - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y95G6BO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

The professional filter set for the Phantom 3 | DJI Phantom Forum

Do I need it? I hand catch every time, but if there's a mishap, I know that I have done everything that I can to protect the camera and lenses. So... Yea, I needed it for my own well being. I also have a tracker installed and its mounted to the gimble saver. Most of my flights are for my YouTube channel and I'm really happy with the way everything is working. The lenses were a big improvement.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
FYI If you have the DJI Hardcase backpack it does not allow a P3 to fit into it if the CF Gimbal guard has been installed unless you want to really dig out a trench in the foam of your bag !

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4