Gimbal guard

Reaction score
Anyone ever noticed any issues with the carbon/aluminum gimbal guards affecting compass calibration?

Oh gosh yes, I guess I could have mentioned that. It's a P4 standard. I just got it a couple weeks ago and lovin' every minute of it. A fella I fly with has a P4 Pro and he's got the carbon/aluminum gimbal guard. I thought it was a good idea so I purchased one too. He said occasionally he gets a "calibrate compass" indication and thinks it might be because of the guard. I've yet to install mine.

Just where is the aluminum in the gimbal guard.is it visible.....I have the carbon fiber one !
IF and when you install it.......check to be sure the camera IS not restricted in full down movement with the drone on and mve the camera full UP then FULL down....IF so dremel a few new slots in the guard and set it back a 1/2 inch or so.......Good Luck.

In the above ^ im talking about a P3 SE gimbal guard (mine)....I Googled yours and see yours uses 4 aluminum clips to secure it
to the horizontal landing gear legs....the screws would most likely metal....may be some one else can tell you IF them 4
metal screws would affect the compass !

Last edited:
The aluminum is on either landing skid and holds the carbon fiber cross piece. It appears to have a relief cut for the sensors.

Reactions: selaurence
Aluminum is non magnetic and should not interfere with the compass.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Aluminum is non magnetic and should not interfere with the compass.
Yup, it is, as is the carbon fiber piece that connects them. But since the instructions for calibration say not to carry cell phones or keys during the compass calibration process, I just wondered about the proximity of those two conductive materials.

There are magnetic screws all through out the phantom. When you calibrate the compass, it takes that all into consideration. After calibrating, then any new metal can interfere with it.

Also, I don’t think it’s a good idea to have the guard installed with the drone powered up! You can damage the gimbal because ‘start up’ runs the gimbal through some movements. Remove the gimbal guard before starting your drone, then no interference.

Also, I don’t think it’s a good idea to have the guard installed with the drone powered up! You can damage the gimbal because ‘start up’ runs the gimbal through some movements. Remove the gimbal guard before starting your drone, then no interference.
This is what it looks like installed. It's not the camera cover used for transportation.

Attachments

• gimbal guard.jpg
    gimbal guard.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: SDsc0rch

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic