Gimbal Drop

Reaction score
New P3A owner here. I don't have many flights with it yet, but I did take it out last night in an open field. One thing I noticed that was happening was after some aggressive flying the camera would drop about 20 degrees. I would move it back up and do some more aggressive flying, again, it would drop. Typically, I don't fly this aggressively because I would want to get good stable footage, but I'm curious whether others have also noticed this type of thing. It is something you should expect after aggressive flying or do I possibly have a weak motor in the gimbal?

That's not normal at all. I'd recalibrate everything and check out again. Mine has never done that.

Just to be clear, this was after very aggressive flying. Hard banking and full throttle to full reverse maneuvers. It would put the maximum amount of stress on the gimbal, but I thought the motors might hold the camera in to place.

Do you have an ND filter installed? Perhaps the ND filter is adding weight causing extra load on the gimbal motors when flying aggressively.

Do you have an ND filter installed? Perhaps the ND filter is adding weight causing extra load on the gimbal motors when flying aggressively.

No filters. Just "out of the box" P3A. This is frustrating because this will be the 3rd P3 I've had in 2 weeks trying to find one that operates normally. The first one was a P3S that had very bad jello effect. It was obvious one of the motors in the gimbal wasn't working properly. I got a 2nd and found the same issue existed, but not as pronounced. Moved up to P3A since I didn't want to risk another P3S. I was thrilled at first to see there was no jello effect whatsoever. Rock solid steady when it comes to that, but to now hear that the gimbal drop isn't normal I'll probably have to take this one back.

I should add that I'm all but certain this isn't due to user error. I couldn't treat these Phantoms any more delicately. I always remove the foam carefully from behind the gimbal and I'm sure to delicately attach and remove the gimbal guard. Nothing has been forced haphazardly. I was talking to someone at my local dealer and they said the same thing. If they get an exchange it is almost always due to the motors on the gimbal.

Also, although the propellers are "self tightening", flying full throttle in one direction and then abruptly flying full throttle in the opposite direction could cause a propeller to unscrew and come off!

Also, although the propellers are "self tightening", flying full throttle in one direction and then abruptly flying full throttle in the opposite direction could cause a propeller to unscrew and come off!

Great. One more thing to worry about. :)

Just make sure they are tight. It isn't a common occurrence, it's just possible. In most cases, people don't fly that way anyway.

Thanks. I always do. I do find the way DJI describes it to be a little subjective (secure, tight, but not too tight!), but I'm pretty sure I have them secure without being too tight. At least I haven't had one fall off yet. :)

My rule of thumb:
Tighten props to the point that you don't need a wrench to get them off.

Reactions: Tdeath
I did an IMU Calibration and an Auto-Gimbal Calibration last night and then went out and tried again. There was significant improvement and after some aggressive flying I found the camera to only drop a tick and probably not enough for me to worry about.

Reactions: ullhan84
Just to be clear, this was after very aggressive flying. Hard banking and full throttle to full reverse maneuvers. It would put the maximum amount of stress on the gimbal...
...I couldn't treat these Phantoms any more delicately.
One thing is clear. You and I have a much different idea of how to be delicate. ;)

One thing is clear. You and I have a much different idea of how to be delicate. ;)

lol!...but wouldn't you say these are designed to be flown this way? I never had the impression you should only fly a Phantom 3 with just aerial photography in mind. If I was doing that it is likely I wouldn't be flying aggressively. I sort of thought this is why the Phantom 4 has a "sport" mode. To zip it around and be sporty...right? If doing hard banks and aggressively throttling and braking is something that isn't recommended I would certainly like to know. I don't want to push my bird beyond its limits, but again, I always had the impression doing these types of maneuvers were within normal limits.

lol!...but wouldn't you say these are designed to be flown this way? I never had the impression you should only fly a Phantom 3 with just aerial photography in mind. If I was doing that it is likely I wouldn't be flying aggressively. I sort of thought this is why the Phantom 4 has a "sport" mode. To zip it around and be sporty...right? If doing hard banks and aggressively throttling and braking is something that isn't recommended I would certainly like to know. I don't want to push my bird beyond its limits, but again, I always had the impression doing these types of maneuvers were within normal limits.
Since you asked, my humble opinion is that the P3 is not meant to be flown that way. Even if it's possible to do so, that doesn't mean it's safe or wise to intentionally put the maximum amount of stress on the gimbal. The P4 does indeed have a sport mode as you noted, but it also has a redesigned gimbal that provides more stability and vibration dampening to handle more aggressive flying.

Since you asked, my humble opinion is that the P3 is not meant to be flown that way. Even if it's possible to do so, that doesn't mean it's safe or wise to intentionally put the maximum amount of stress on the gimbal. The P4 does indeed have a sport mode as you noted, but it also has a redesigned gimbal that provides more stability and vibration dampening to handle more aggressive flying.

Makes sense. I think I'll try to refrain from such aggressive flying in the future.

Reactions: Great_Lakes
Hi, I have the exact same problem with my Phantom 3 Professional's gimbal but without any reason.. How did you fix it ?

Mine was pretty minor and it took aggressive flying for it to drop so I simply avoid aggressive flying. The P3 isn't the P4 and I would say the P4 is more capable of handling aggressive flying. But if I do want to push things for a bit I simply don't worry about video footage during that time.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj