Gimbal dead, at least got some good shots!

Reaction score
So add me to the list of failed H3-2D owners, currently waiting on a replacement from BH photo and video (who handled the situation very well). Quite frustrating as when this thing works as advertised it is extremely stable and we have been able to achieve shots with that little gopro that are completely unique in our area. Take a look at our aerial reel shot over the last two months and let me know what you think. Edited using Avid MC 6.5 and After Effects. If anyone has any tips for minimizing the fisheye effect I'd love to hear them! I want to love this product but can't until they improve the design or durability. Phantom was not crashed or even bumped with the gimbal on it and lo and behold I get the loud squeal and eventual failure altogether... Oh well we still have a bit of summer left to do more filming!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n-P3NQ8tek[/youtube]

I would say we got it fully operational for about 15 flights until it started making the noise, and then by 20 it was pooched.

Zircon said:
Well, like you say, you got some great looking stuff with it before it quit on you! Wonder if you'll get a Version 2 for a replacement. ;)

Got my replacement in, and the gimbal is a bit different from the one I received back in June. The gimbal itself looks identical except the board the gopro mounts to is now black and not green. Also, the mounting pieces are now plastic instead of metal. Quality still seems to be good so this is not a gripe, perhaps they wanted to save some weight? This would lead me to believe that there is indeed a V2 of the gimbal. Hopefully it gets more mileage that the first version! For now i am back up and running and will keep the forum posted in case of any developments.

EDIT: also appears now they improved the electronics so that when you put pressure on the gopro when the gimbal is powered up (ie to hit the record button) the gimbal doesn't try to fight it and goes limp. it resets itself after a second or two and powers back up. I hope this new feature means less stress on the motors and consequently a longer life

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20