Gimbal clamp

Reaction score
So the plastic thing that I use to Carry my phantom along... That comes with it,sometimes I forget to remove after tuning it on.lol is this bad for the camera gimbal? Thx

It's probably not the best thing for it but I doubt it would do any harm if left on by mistake every once in awhile. I'm sure lots of people have left it on and I've never seen anyone mention any harm done.

I would highly recommend one of the aftermarket locks that goes on the front. They are so much easier to use.

if you do this one time it could even snap or something and cost you hundreds in repairs or possibly even a new gimbal which is about $400 so get a tag that says "remove before flight" and attach it to the gimbal clamp so that you don't forget
look on amazon for a "remove before flight" tag

Millions of Phantoms sold. Have you _ever_ seen a single person make a statement that leaving the lock on caused what you claim? What information do you have to support your claim that it will cause the gimbal to break if done once?

Again, I'm sure this has been done millions of times and I've never seen one report of any damage. Personally, I've probably done it 5 times with no issues.

Millions of Phantoms sold. Have you _ever_ seen a single person make a statement that leaving the lock on caused what you claim? What information do you have to support your claim that it will cause the gimbal to break if done once?

Again, I'm sure this has been done millions of times and I've never seen one report of any damage. Personally, I've probably done it 5 times with no issues.
you are right. I was exaggerating. it will not snap but I have personally seen people damage their gimbals slightly by doing this. I have a friend who has a p3 standard who never took it off before flight for some reason, and one day he noticed a lot of buzzing after he did it. I looked at it and there was a loose screw on the outside of the gimbal. I tightened it with an allen wrench and it was fine, but if not I don't know what could have happened
stay safe!

I did this once so far. No harm done. Hopefully that was my last time.;)

I've had my P3P since last May, and have occasionally forgotten to remove the clamp before a flight. The shaky "Jello-ish" image on the screen alterted me right away.

So I brought the bird down, removed the clamp, and everything was fine. No damage at all. Now I always remove it before turning it on, of course.

The gimbal assembly seems to be very resilant to shaking, wind, and other forces. That's why the pictures and videos are so stable!

I agree that, mechanically, it's not a good idea to add that sort of resistance to something that should be free. But in practice, an occasional mistake doesn't seem to have caused any harm, at least in my case.

I have a friend who has a p3 standard who never took it off before flight for some reason, and one day he noticed a lot of buzzing after he did it. I looked at it and there was a loose screw on the outside of the gimbal. I tightened it with an allen wrench and it was fine, but if not I don't know what could have happened

So how is this even close to your statement of:

"If you do this one time it could even snap or something and cost you hundreds in repairs or possibly even a new gimbal which is about $400"

What you mention is not even close to accidentally leaving the lock on every once in awhile. Heck, it was just a loose screw. Not even sure it was from the lock. Your friend clear never read the manual and completely ignored the huge warning from the Go app every time he flew. He also never seemed to question why he could not move the camera on the Phantom. I'd venture to say this is not the norm (... and I think I'm being pretty nice in that statement).

Nothing bad will happen to your gimbal as there is a motor overload protection built in to the system but it's a good practice to remove it before battery is switch on.

I have replaced that plastic support with one that sits over the camera lens and supports the gimbal.

very
if you do this one time it could even snap or something and cost you hundreds in repairs or possibly even a new gimbal which is about $400 so get a tag that says "remove before flight" and attach it to the gimbal clamp so that you don't forget
look on amazon for a "remove before flight" tag
Not convinced by your answer. You are jumping to a conclusion too fast.

I have done it a few times. No problems. I would definitely try to remove it first. But if you forget, it should be ok. Just dont make it a habit. Fly safe...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Phantomix

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj