Gimbal Clamp Question

Reaction score
Has anyone ever left their gimbal clamp on when starting up your DJI3? Did you then have problem with the camera and gimbal?

Does anyone not use it when transporting their DJI3? I feel like it will be okay if I just leave it off when transporting it places because I am gonna forget to take it off a lot when starting it up.

Thank you

Does anyone not use it when transporting their DJI3?
This is not a good idea. You could damage your gimbal. Attach one of these to it and you'll never forget to remove it.

Reactions: lotusteve
When the Phantom is powered down, the gimbal is limp. It'll just flop around if the lock is not attached to hold it in place.

I don't get why it could damage it. Doesn't it move all the time when the drone is on?
Hi, if you don't use a gimbal clamp when transporting your Phantom, you WILL eventually damage it. It will just rattle about.....Just make remembering to take it off part of your preflight routine and eventually it'll become second nature.

I just attached a length of doubled-over, red electrical tape like a little streamer coming off my gimbal clamp so that I always notice it before powering up. It was stupid of DJI to make the clamp out of clear plastic rather than making it out of red plastic.

Thank you, gentlemen. Really useful info to know.

I saw that there is a thing called 'Gimbal Calibration,' what is that exactly?

I just attached a length of doubled-over, red electrical tape like a little streamer coming off my gimbal clamp so that I always notice it before powering up. It was stupid of DJI to make the clamp out of clear plastic rather than making it out of red plastic.

I am thinking about coloring the clear clamp with some permanent markers to make it more noticeable to remove during pre-flight checks. lol

............... during pre-flight checks. lol
This is key. Make a checklist and use it till it becomes muscle memory. Gimble clamp becomes a normal item.

I hate the gimbal clamp think it was the one place DJI could have worked a little harder coming up with a solution. The thing feel and looks like a packing part that should be thrown out after opening. And it's a pain in the *** to put the thing on!!!

I use a third party gimbal lock and forgot to take it off only once and man did I take it off fast when I realized it. No harm done. That one time was all it took for me to never do that again, since

When I first started flying I spooled my P3 up with the gimbal ON probably more often then I remembered to take it off.... I received a GIMBAL WARNING and I removed the clamp. I probably messed up and left it on 10-12 times (I'm a slow learner) but no ill effects that I'm aware off.

Actually, I've been pretty amazed at how durable and forgiving the P3 has been. I have made 3-4 really bad flying decisions (most involving trees and walls) and the **** thing has survived my best efforts to kill it... (sometimes I felt that way about my kids too....)

When I first started flying I spooled my P3 up with the gimbal ON probably more often then I remembered to take it off.... I received a GIMBAL WARNING and I removed the clamp. I probably messed up and left it on 10-12 times (I'm a slow learner) but no ill effects that I'm aware off.

Actually, I've been pretty amazed at how durable and forgiving the P3 has been. I have made 3-4 really bad flying decisions (most involving trees and walls) and the **** thing has survived my best efforts to kill it... (sometimes I felt that way about my kids too....)

Me too! If it, (i. e.the gimbal motor assembly), experiences resistance, it shuts down...Gimbal motors shut off immediately.. No damage. But, still not a great idea, if you can avoid it!

Gimbal Calibration is a fix for an uneven horizon. It's performed with the AC on a flat and level surface. You're essentially telling the drone "this is level" and keep it that way.

If your horizon appears level in your videos, you don't need to worry about it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4