Gimbal cannot receive MC data and IMU error (brand new)

Reaction score
So very first time I started my P3 up it had both IMU error (please calibrate) and gimbal cannot receive MC data. I did an IMU calibration and both errors went away. Now just about every other time that I start it it will show both errors briefly and then they will disappear after a minute.

I am still within a period of time where I could exchange this. Does this sound like a potentially dangerous problem, or one that will cause me more headaches in the future? Or will this likely just show when first starting it and then continue to go away?

Deadly. Its cursed. Send it back.

The imu is the balance system for flight. It talks to the gimbal to tell it where the horizon is.

You got that warning because your phantom was thrown or dropped on delivery (or you crashed it). The 'ball bearing' in the imu/gyro gets stuck and needs a hard smack to loosen.

If you decide to keep it..
Goto the quad icon - sensors and make sure the gyro x y is not stuck. It usually shows -/+ 16 if it stuck. Before every flight check your sensor and make sure the mod values look right before take off.

So very first time I started my P3 up it had both IMU error (please calibrate) and gimbal cannot receive MC data. I did an IMU calibration and both errors went away. Now just about every other time that I start it it will show both errors briefly and then they will disappear after a minute.

I am still within a period of time where I could exchange this. Does this sound like a potentially dangerous problem, or one that will cause me more headaches in the future? Or will this likely just show when first starting it and then continue to go away?

Does your camera "go limp" after it does its start up dance? Also, do you have red, green, yellow flashing rapidly error lights?

Curious bc mine did what yours did.. ended up being ruined and had to return it. Did you update firmware? Don't do it.

Does your camera "go limp" after it does its start up dance? Also, do you have red, green, yellow flashing rapidly error lights?

Curious bc mine did what yours did.. ended up being ruined and had to return it. Did you update firmware? Don't do it.

What do you mean by go limp? On my first start my camera pointed down and kept beeping. Then I tried updating controller firmware by hooking it to gimbal, camera pointed down and kept beeping. However whenever I have it link to the controller everything seems fine.

I did update firmware - actually that was the first thing I did before I even turned it on and registered it the first time, which I was afraid might have caused a problem.

I did just talk to tech support today and got somebody that actually sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He told me that occasionally while the IMU is warming up there have been errors such as these showing up and they are working on firmware that will stop that. He told me as long as they keep disappearing then I am fine - I am pretty untrusting when it comes to tech support of any kind but he did seem confident that he knew what my problem was and that it was okay so fingers crossed I guess.

What do you mean by go limp? On my first start my camera pointed down and kept beeping. Then I tried updating controller firmware by hooking it to gimbal, camera pointed down and kept beeping. However whenever I have it link to the controller everything seems fine.

I did update firmware - actually that was the first thing I did before I even turned it on and registered it the first time, which I was afraid might have caused a problem.

I did just talk to tech support today and got somebody that actually sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He told me that occasionally while the IMU is warming up there have been errors such as these showing up and they are working on firmware that will stop that. He told me as long as they keep disappearing then I am fine - I am pretty untrusting when it comes to tech support of any kind but he did seem confident that he knew what my problem was and that it was okay so fingers crossed I guess.

So, normal operation would be. Start controller. Start P3. P3 camera does its "dance" and then stays "rock solid" - aka it faces forward as if you were hovering, with the gimbal in full operation if you pick it up, etc.

By 'go limp', I am saying, it starts up and then just plops downward after 5-10 seconds and the gimbal isn't working - its not moving with the motion if you pick it up. I flew mine fine for 3 flights, then the DAY that 1.2.6 firmware came out, most updated such as myself, then did IMU calibration, then boom.. broken, doing what I think you are seeing. I spent 3 weeks trying everything, it was fried. I'd save your time and if it doesn't fix itself soon, try to get it replaced.

Did you check on here before doing update to 1.2.6? I know its not fair to criticize anyone for doing an update that it says to do, just wish most people would get the word that the 1.2.6 update is Russian roulette.

So, normal operation would be. Start controller. Start P3. P3 camera does its "dance" and then stays "rock solid" - aka it faces forward as if you were hovering, with the gimbal in full operation if you pick it up, etc.

By 'go limp', I am saying, it starts up and then just plops downward after 5-10 seconds and the gimbal isn't working - its not moving with the motion if you pick it up. I flew mine fine for 3 flights, then the DAY that 1.2.6 firmware came out, most updated such as myself, then did IMU calibration, then boom.. broken, doing what I think you are seeing. I spent 3 weeks trying everything, it was fried. I'd save your time and if it doesn't fix itself soon, try to get it replaced.

Did you check on here before doing update to 1.2.6? I know its not fair to criticize anyone for doing an update that it says to do, just wish most people would get the word that the 1.2.6 update is Russian roulette.

Well that sucks. Now I'm worried again. Yes that does sound like what mind did - facing downward, just mine had a beeping along with it.

Yes, I did update to 1.2.6. I am relatively new to this and it never crossed my mind that a firmware update could possibly cause problems. But I'm not new to technology or updates in general, so I guess I should have assumed as much.

The thing that sucks is, and I left this out for sake of simplicity when asking the questions - this is not my first unit. This is actually a replacement/exchange for the first one I bought. The first one I got no matter what I did I could not get a level horizon - IMU on perfectly level surface, followed by gimbal...looked "close" for a day then next time I take it out it was jacked again. Then I noticed artifacts on the bottom of the camera when taking stills. After I saw that as well I got in touch and the company exchanged it, sent me this one.

Now this one has these problems I am asking about. I didn't want to have to try and get yet another exchange from this company and feel like they would assume it is all user error at this point. I think I am stuck keeping it, hoping mine doesn't follow suit with what yours did and just dealing with DJI if it does. I feel kind of defeated/giving up at the moment.

Well that sucks. Now I'm worried again. Yes that does sound like what mind did - facing downward, just mine had a beeping along with it.

Yes, I did update to 1.2.6. I am relatively new to this and it never crossed my mind that a firmware update could possibly cause problems. But I'm not new to technology or updates in general, so I guess I should have assumed as much.

The thing that sucks is, and I left this out for sake of simplicity when asking the questions - this is not my first unit. This is actually a replacement/exchange for the first one I bought. The first one I got no matter what I did I could not get a level horizon - IMU on perfectly level surface, followed by gimbal...looked "close" for a day then next time I take it out it was jacked again. Then I noticed artifacts on the bottom of the camera when taking stills. After I saw that as well I got in touch and the company exchanged it, sent me this one.

Now this one has these problems I am asking about. I didn't want to have to try and get yet another exchange from this company and feel like they would assume it is all user error at this point. I think I am stuck keeping it, hoping mine doesn't follow suit with what yours did and just dealing with DJI if it does. I feel kind of defeated/giving up at the moment.

Yeah mine beeped also. DJI thought it was something to be with a compass problem as my IMU calibration would say It worked, but the compass #'s below it were all zero, whcih means it wasn't getting any compass signal.

You do have promise/hope in it appears you did say that it has worked somewhat since then..correct? How often does it do limp camera, beeping, Gimbal/IMU error? If its working now, id say monitor it and hope for a new firmware to come out quickly.. double check the gimbal cables going into the camera, mine was loose/not all the way in at one point and was worried that maybe somehow, the loose cable during the firmware update caused the system to not get the update to 'flow' through the whole system.

Yeah mine beeped also. DJI thought it was something to be with a compass problem as my IMU calibration would say It worked, but the compass #'s below it were all zero, whcih means it wasn't getting any compass signal.

You do have promise/hope in it appears you did say that it has worked somewhat since then..correct? How often does it do limp camera, beeping, Gimbal/IMU error? If its working now, id say monitor it and hope for a new firmware to come out quickly.. double check the gimbal cables going into the camera, mine was loose/not all the way in at one point and was worried that maybe somehow, the loose cable during the firmware update caused the system to not get the update to 'flow' through the whole system.

Well, here's the good news. I just unboxed the one that I am sending back and plugged the controller in to the gimbal. Does the same thing on my first unit (camera goes down and beeps) when the controller is plugged into it. So as far as that instance, that was just my ignorance to how it functioned.

However, it did do that once when it shouldn't have the first time I started it, right after I first installed the new firmware. That one I still cannot account for why it happened. It has not done it again since, although I have only really started it maybe 7 times, had it in the air for about 3 minutes. I will say I put them side by side, one on iPad one on iPhone and all readings are identical for the most part. I still see both IMU warning as well as MC data warning when first starting on a cold unit, but it continues to disappear within a few seconds.

Maybe, just maybe I am safe from the fate of yours. It seems like it will be okay at the moment, don't be surprised if you see me in here bitching in a week or so though lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers