Gimbal and Camera Got Wet (Sea Water) :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My own stupid bloody fault.

I was working at a little beach bar yesterday (they wanted a 1 minute video and some stills for marketing) and was struggling to get 6 Satellites locked on, the beach area is tiny and surrounded by boulders.

I have flown there before and new the best place to pick up Sats was very close to the waters edge, well I put my bird a little to close and a small wave came in too far and splashed the camera and gimbal, rushed home put a hair dryer on it for a while then put it in front of a fan for 5 hours, let the camera and gimbal sit in rice overnight, tested it this morning and the camera is flying all over the place.

Going to leave it sat in front of a fan all day and try the rice trick again tonight but I think it's fxxxxxx.

Any suggestions? Is it worth taking back to the shop I got it from and say the gimbal has just started going crazy? Or try and buy a replacement camera and gimbal, there must be lot's out there that have been discarded because of the ribbon problem?

My phantom is my job so need a quick solution.

I live in Thailand btw.

I had a seawater incident as well. I shook it out to dry as much as possible and I waited three days before trying it again. No luck. I saw that circuits had begun to corrode when I opened it up. I was not successful.

Sorry to hear about the problem, my friend. It's a tough one.

Salt water is death to electronics.
Simply drying out will not save them as the salts remain and corrosion starts very quickly.
If electronics get wet in salt water, the best treatment is usually to immediately flush with fresh water to remove salt, followed by alcohol to help dry the water out. This is not foolproof but if your device is cactus anyway, it can be worth a shot.
However if it's been a couple of days it's probably too late for this to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20