Getting started

Reaction score
Hello ... I am a pro videographer and very interested in getting started with the DJI Phantom. I have questions since I am trying to make up my mind on which unit.

I do a lot of work at a local lake here in SoCal. I like the gimbal idea for stability. But I also like what I see in the DJI Phantom 2 vision.

I have two GoPro Hero 2 cameras. If I go to the first generation Phantom I guess I will have to move up to the Hero 3. No problem there but again, I have mixed feelings. I am trying to determine if I should go with a mounted gimbal on one of these QuadCopters or just go with the Phantom 2 Vision. I like the idea of being able to control the camera (mainly up and down) but I cannot do that with a Hero mounted in a gimbal. Correct?

Also (and I hesitate to ask this) what happens if the Phantom goes into the water. Is it a complete loss?

Thanks so much. Would appreciate any advice.

Danny

The Hero 2 should be fine to use on a Phantom and gimbals are available that the HERO 2 fits.
Of cause the HERO 3 is lighter and a bit better in so many ways in comparison to the HERO 2.Being able to record 1080p at 50/60 fps is the biggest advantage the HERO 3 has over the HERO 2 in this situation.

You can control the pitch angle,move it up & down,with most any gimbal out there.It's a matter of connecting the gimbal to the Naza box inside the Phantom and if you want to move it during flight you will need to buy a lever to fit into the pot on the back of the TX to adjust the angle.

Is the lake you mention fresh or salt water?
There have been a number of reports from people that have crashed into fresh water and after recovery and drying the Phantom can survive to fly again.
Salt water is a different story.Crash into salt water and the Phantom will surely fry.I speak from personal experience.
I had to replace one motor and most of the electronics,all but the Naza unit.And that was from just dipping one arm into the water not complete submersion.

Id say a hero3 black and gimbal are your best option for video use, the hero3 black as the protune feature will make it much easier for you to mix footage with other cams and the gimbal gives stabilized footage in tilt or pitch axis for 2 axis gimbals and there will be a few 3 axis gimbals coming that will also help with yaw stabilization. As PTCX said any gimbal should have remote pitch control whilst also stabilizing this to deal with motions oofthe craft. The vision has no tilt stabilization as it onky works on the 1 pitch axis plus a hero3 blaco is far superior to the vision camera for video use especially if you want to use the higher res or frame rate modes and grade footage shooting in the high bitrate protune mode.

Thanks for your help guys. It means a lot.

It would appear that what I need is the Phantom 2 (not Vision) with the gimbal. I have been doing some research and some of the gimbals come with remote pitch.

I just need to be sure I get a unit that does have the wireless ability to watch the video on my SmartPhone. Those things seem to be available.

So Phantom 2, Gimbal with RC pitch, FPV, etc.

Here is one site I have been looking at:

http://www.dronefly.com/ProductDetails. ... e=P2Gimbal

Thanks so much !!

Danny

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj