Getting started...advice/questions

Reaction score
Ok, just got a Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 this week. I've flown it about six times now but I'm a little restricted since I work at an airport (no fly zone) so after work I'm confined to a large hanger in manual mode. When I finally got to fly it outdoors with GPS and a calibrated compass I was blown away by the stability and ease of flying. Once our lake fully freezes over I'll have thousands of acres of wide open spaces to play in...even if it is really cold.

So at this point I have a few newbee questions. First, any cold weather flying advice? Things to avoid, neat stuff to do, suggested gear, etc. Also, since it's so cold out, is there any way to program in waypoints into ground station before going outside and turning everything else on? Next, any suggestions on a good hard case for the V3? Not just for the Phantom but also for all the gear I'm going to need but just don't know it yet. Lastly, and this is big one, anything you wish you had done differently when you first started flying?

1.In cold weather the battery performance will be less with probably lower flight times; beware of that.
2. The alternative app from IloveCoffee, allows you to prepair a waypointflightplan upfront using as temporary homepoint you smartphone or tablet. ( you can find and download the alternitve app in/from another threat in this forum.)
3. There is another threat on this from discusing al kinds of bags/boxnes for the birmd.
4. No; nontheless I have a bonus advice for you. On GS mode, make sure that you take your first waypoint close by your homepoint ( note: the ACTUAL home point and not you temporally home point, if you have used that) with no obsticul between you home point and firtst waypoint.
[emoji106] Happy flights [emoji4]

K9pilot said:
Things to avoid

Trees. Seriously. Trees are my kryptonite. I lost connection and my little guy started returning to home. The thing is so smart you almost forget it can't see. And of course there was a tree in the way. That cost me $900. Well more than that actually. $900 to replace the camera and another $900 to remove the tree.

20140906_113536_769.jpg

My case off Amazon

Attachments

• 20141125_200141.jpg
    20141125_200141.jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 534
  • 20141125_192451.jpg
    20141125_192451.jpg
    820.4 KB · Views: 543
Pick up a pair of gloves that allow touch screen operation if flying in cold weather.

K9, Newby here too but look at the tradecraft cases if the cases GSSP was talking about from amazon are not to your liking. Tradecraft looks to be a sponsor of this site ( or just advertises on it ) Their cases start at 179.99 & the case has tons of storage & waterproof also. If you don't mind a case with some cosmetic damage ( scrapes, etc ) they have those at $149.99. I bought mine from them & it is very sturdy.
http://www.tradecraftcases.com/

I own the Go Professional case. It's on the higher price side, but it's made of high quality materials and has enough room to store everything that comes with the Phantom -- plus 3 more batteries. I haven't dropped the case, but I'm confident that everything inside would be protected if I did. The reviews on Amazon are excellent too (which is why I decided to go with it).

Microraptor cases. Amazon. Waterproof very rugged and wheeled. Took it to Canada. It holds everything you will need and then some. I have the OSHA yellow.

Thanks for all the replies.

I've only flown it in cold weather so far so I'll be interested to see what endurance I get when it's warmer. Regardless, two batteries out last my ability to stand around when its in the teens. I have tried the GS mode waypoint from about a 10' hover and it shot straight up then proceeded to its first waypoint, which is different from what I've read here. I've also had it do the slow climb to it's first waypoint so I'm not sure what the difference was.

Don't worry rb, I'm petrified of trees so no kryptonite for me thanks. I do find it interesting though that your drone flew into a tree and you then cut it down. May I suggest that you don't let anyone else fly your drone, especially kids. I'd hate to see what happens if they crash it...lol. You did better than I would have though. I'd likely have taken a chain saw to it right there and then had to explain why there was now a tree sticking out of my house...

The swipe glove is a must, as is a heavy glove with the index finger cut out. Taking it on and off is distracting.

I'm still trying to decide on a case. They all look good but often their photos often look like there are parts missing from some of the packed items (wi-fi extender etc.) so I'm worried mine won't fit without removing stuff. A question for those who do have cases. Blades on or off? Leaving them on seems like it might invite damage but taking them off every time seems like it would be another opportunity to loose a blade in flight.

K9pilot said:
I'm still trying to decide on a case. They all look good but often their photos often look like there are parts missing from some of the packed items (wi-fi extender etc.) so I'm worried mine won't fit without removing stuff. A question for those who do have cases. Blades on or off? Leaving them on seems like it might invite damage but taking them off every time seems like it would be another opportunity to loose a blade in flight.

I just received the GoProfessional case with wheels from B&H. So far I like it and the externder and device holder fit in there perfectly attached to the TX.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...i_vision_whl_xb_dji_vision_hard_case_for.html
I have the blades off but I think leaving them on would be fine also.
You can't lose a blade in flight unless a motor malfunctions and spins it off, which you can't avoid anyways. The self-tightening feature does just that, self tightens the blades. You really only need to just spin them on without any additional tightening, although I always snug them a little because I am **** like that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj