Getting ready to buy a Phantom 2 - Question

Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm new to the forum.

I am getting ready to invest in a Phantom 2. My intent is to expand my HD video capabilities. I am a Helicopter pilot and in the past I have set up a camera on the passenger side of the cockpit and just ran the camera while I was flying. As you can imagine, it's pretty expensive to get aerial video this way and, of course, there are severe limitations when it comes to how close you can get the subject.

Here's my question. Is it better to purchase the Phantom 2 with a Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal for approx. $870.00 or should I buy the Phantom 2 without a Gimbal for approx $680.00 and buy a different Gimbal separately and if so, which Gimbal?

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

- Marcel

in my opinion. The phantom with zenmuse is a no brainer. Reason being is that the zenmuse only is over $300. Now with that said. I bought it without the zenmuse because I had a zenmuse from when they were $679 (yes thats what I paid for just the zenmuse). I think the zenmuse is much better than any other 2 axis gimbal. Now if you wanted to do a 3 axis gimbal, I would say to still get the zenmuse package and sell the zenmuse for $200 and spend another $155 for a 3 axis gimbal.

WITH the gimbal!!

I purchased mine a few weeks ago without before realizing the price of the gimbal separately. Now I've bought a $679 copter and still need to pay $350+ for the gimbal.

Thank you all for your recommendations. That was the way I was leaning as well but not knowing enough about the different gimbals such as 2axis vs 3axis, I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something important.

Thanks again!

Oh, if anyone has an opinion to the contrary, please feel free to post it up. It will be another week or two before I make my purchase so I'm still open to other ideas.

-M

This is the same question I had. Glad to see the answers. I researched it and figured this would be the ticket. A follow up question, though: The gimbal is not attached to the airframe when you get it. It is in a separate box. I noticed on Amazon that an answer to the question of 'how long does it take to set it up' was 10-15 minutes. Is this realistic?

ladykate said:
This is the same question I had. Glad to see the answers. I researched it and figured this would be the ticket. A follow up question, though: The gimbal is not attached to the airframe when you get it. It is in a separate box. I noticed on Amazon that an answer to the question of 'how long does it take to set it up' was 10-15 minutes. Is this realistic?

Yes. It's one cable to connect. 4 screws into the main body of the Phantom, 2 screws to hold the gimbal together, 4 anti drop bolts, and 2 screws to hold the gopro in. There are multiple tutorial videos on how to do it, plus you can download the instructions from the DJI website.

I fitted my gimbal, messed around with how I wanted to mount my FPV and GPS, then mounted all that (including cutting and soldering wires) and I was still waiting for my battery to charge........

Thanks for the response. Now I just have to decide when to get it... Much grass.

what i just bought , pretty easy install . really happy with the combo for the price . i had to wait over christmas because they were on back order .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj