Getting my oculus rift for FPV soon!

Got the rest of my gear for oculus rift fpv. :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 830
ageedb said:
How does it look?! Do you like it?

I can tell you now, if you can swing another 500 bucks, forget your fatsharks. Anyone who has tried fatsharks has wondered what it would be like to have a super wide view, the OR does this--super side. The downside is that right now the OR has a screen door effect due to the type of LCD used, although the new OR DK2 is coming in August which will be high res with no screen door effect.

More details on flight coming soon. Been busy with life ;)

thongbong said:
ageedb said:
How does it look?! Do you like it?

I can tell you now, if you can swing another 500 bucks, forget your fatsharks. Anyone who has tried fatsharks has wondered what it would be like to have a super wide view, the OR does this--super side. The downside is that right now the OR has a screen door effect due to the type of LCD used, although the new OR DK2 is coming in August which will be high res with no screen door effect.

More details on flight coming soon. Been busy with life ;)

I've been very curious about this. I also build computers as a separate hobby and do a little bit of gaming so the OR has always been in my radar. Never really thought about it in terms of FPV. I can't imagine the quality being that much better since its being transmitted and not direct feed.

You're correct the quality isn't anything near what most people are accustomed to, which is HD. This isn't due to the fact that it's not a direct feed, more so due to the limitations of the technology.

I would recommend this to anyone who has FPV experience and understands it's all going to be in SD. The upside of this is that it's now truly immersive with a much wider FOV. But if you can hold off until August for the Oculus Rift DK2, or hold off until they launch the final version, you should do so.

As for the OR itself, being the first Developers Version--the applications are endless. I've showed it to a handful of my friends all of whom have been taken aback by it. Great party game!

Very cool. I know that most fpv goggles out on the market only have about a 25-40 degree field of view. What about the OR? What's the FOV like?

ageedb said:
Very cool. I know that most fpv goggles out on the market only have about a 25-40 degree field of view. What about the OR? What's the FOV like?

I've really never seen any single number for OR's FOV, but I can tell you that that when you put it on, you'll only see a little black on your peripherals, and it DOES NOT feel like you're just watching a TV in a dark room like other FPV goggles. :D Games like Hawken that actually puts you in the driver seat of a mech really makes you feel like you're there... when the OR goes to market, it will change the face of the entertainment industry, no doubt about it. Everyone I showed was a non gamer, but they could already see the multitude of applications that would work with the OR.

thongbong said:
I would recommend this to anyone who has FPV experience and understands it's all going to be in SD. The upside of this is that it's now truly immersive with a much wider FOV. But if you can hold off until August for the Oculus Rift DK2, or hold off until they launch the final version, you should do so.

Thanks for the report. So with Lightbridge I suppose this could go up another level?

jayhas said:
Thanks for the report. So with Lightbridge I suppose this could go up another level?

Unfortunately at the moment the LB will not work with the OR unless a medium is used to split the HDMI input of the LB into 2 images, one for each eye. Plugging the OR directly into the LB will not result in a useable image. I'm using a third party peripheral for this process, the Transport 3D made by EMR labs, which only supports transmission of SD video.

Just when I thought I was happy with my Phantom, I come across this. I have an OR DK1 and just ordered DK2. Now I'm going to have to spring for this. Are you/can you shoot with a GoPro or did you have to buy the 3D camera that emrlabs sells?

DroneRookie said:
Just when I thought I was happy with my Phantom, I come across this. I have an OR DK1 and just ordered DK2. Now I'm going to have to spring for this. Are you/can you shoot with a GoPro or did you have to buy the 3D camera that emrlabs sells?

You can use a gopro to shoot too. Although you will not get 3D of course. The emrlabs 3d camera works well and easy to install. I also have the DK2 on order also, and am looking forward to getting for obvious reasons.

brooksy said:
Did you get these to work as a FPV? If you did, could you please tell me how you installed them and list what I would need to buy?

Cheers :D

Yes it works well. First you need to get your hands on an oculus rift. You can order the second developers kit releasing in August, well worth the wait or find the first developers kit on eBay or Craigslist etc... Next you need to buy emrlabs.com Transporter 3D.
Connect the transporter 3D to whatever video receiver you have. There are instructions on emrlabs site. It's that simple really.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj