Getting my first P3P, and which device for monitor??

Reaction score
I am getting my first P3P, and i been reading about best monitor to use, and seems like Iphone brands are top of list, But having over 1200 in my setup, I just cant afford sop spend 6-700 more for the ipad mini 4 or the iphone 6. I looked at walmart, they had some small tablets that was samsung brand and was 119- 149. Will one of those work? I am sure needs to have at least 16 gb of storage. Any one have a comment ?

I fly with a Galaxy Tab 4 7.0. Think I paid $119. It's dedicated to the P3, so I cleared out most of the 'crap' that eats resources, and now It works well.
You'll need a hood, and/or anti-glare screen protectors in broad daylight,
but I've never seen any tablet that is clearly visible in daylight. The later model Apples do the best job of it from what
I've seen, but they're out of my price point too... maybe someday...

That is what I probably looked at in Walmart, was 2 models, 1 at 119 and another at 139. I just wondered if they were good enough. How do you clear out the other crap or bloatware they force onto you?

Another great option is the NVIDIA Shield K1... super-powerful, built in HDMI, and built in screen recording. [Relatively] inexpensive at $199

Reactions: Noble 1
Amazon refurbished Samsung tab 3 - 7" tablet. $78 and never leaves my controller. Great processor and bright screen.

That is what I probably looked at in Walmart, was 2 models, 1 at 119 and another at 139. I just wondered if they were good enough. How do you clear out the other crap or bloatware they force onto you?

I just backed it up first, then started killing apps I'd never use. I did install Zapper Killer, which kills all running apps. I do that just before I fly, put it into
airplane mode, then start the Go App, or Litchi. I did keep some things like email, web browser, google store (to get app updates), but all games
utilities, and non flight software went the way of the Do-do bird on the Tab 4.

You can also disable auto update check, auto update installer, and auto sync.

I've managed to get memory usage to under 40% before I start the flight App. Works great.

I am getting my first P3P, and i been reading about best monitor to use, and seems like Iphone brands are top of list, But having over 1200 in my setup, I just cant afford sop spend 6-700 more for the ipad mini 4 or the iphone 6. I looked at walmart, they had some small tablets that was samsung brand and was 119- 149. Will one of those work? I am sure needs to have at least 16 gb of storage. Any one have a comment ?
Just make sure you get a Tablet with GPS, Cellular and a Barometer. This tablet is very thin and light weight. Check out the iPad Air 2. I purchased a 64 GB refurb from Amazon for under $500.00 iPad Air 2 - Apple

Just make sure you get a Tablet with GPS, Cellular and a Barometer. This tablet is very thin and light weight. Check out the iPad Air 2. I purchased a 64 GB refurb from Amazon for under $500.00 iPad Air 2 - Apple
I am sure there has be few others with those features, I spent over 1250 on what I got now and cant afford another 500.oo for a ipad now!

I just backed it up first, then started killing apps I'd never use. I did install Zapper Killer, which kills all running apps. I do that just before I fly, put it into
airplane mode, then start the Go App, or Litchi. I did keep some things like email, web browser, google store (to get app updates), but all games
utilities, and non flight software went the way of the Do-do bird on the Tab 4.

You can also disable auto update check, auto update installer, and auto sync.

I've managed to get memory usage to under 40% before I start the flight App. Works great.
What do you use for a screen shade?

I use a home made screen shade. Cardboard, black felt and some duct tape... Making your own you can
make it as long as you want, and can alter the angle of the back plate to further reduce glare.

29D15B93-DA39-4CF9-8C82-A418529E21C5_zpstvlgazer.jpg

171E6C32-DF01-441D-A8D2-78C39AD09CE1_zpstbhsscfl.jpg

And NO it doesn't fold up... When I'm not using it I wear it as a hat.

Last edited:
iPad mini 2, 16GB, cellular, retina display. Don't do music, movies or other stuff, plenty of head-room as it were

Im loving the Nvidia Shield K1 so far. Does everything for flight apps great. Graphics are excellent. I just bought a sun shield and am hoping that cuts back on glare because I cant see squat in broad daylight.

If you are in a position to upgrade cell phone and plan, many companies will do a 100 dollar iphone 6 entry phone exchange and share plan it with an ipad mini 4 wifi/cell for additional 24 per month.

So you end up with a new iphone 6 cell phone 64 and ipad mini 4 retina 16, barometer, A 8 chip, shared plan for same dollar as your old phone and plan except you've added 24/month for share plane and new ipad.

All this will come in handy in the future when you want to hand your iphone to a friend and have p3p track them with 3rd party apps.

Im loving the Nvidia Shield K1 so far. Does everything for flight apps great. Graphics are excellent. I just bought a sun shield and am hoping that cuts back on glare because I cant see squat in broad daylight.
I got my Nvidia Shield ordered, it will be here thur or fri. I will need to get with someone who knows how to optimize it and weed out the crap apps on it to get it to perform well.
I am sure the sun and glare is a problem with ANY pc or phone outside.

Reactions: Noble 1
I got my Nvidia Shield ordered, it will be here thur or fri. I will need to get with someone who knows how to optimize it and weed out the crap apps on it to get it to perform well.
I am sure the sun and glare is a problem with ANY pc or phone outside.

I agree with any phone/PC in glare. I need to learn more about optimization as well. Heads up on the shield, it doesn't come with a charger. I'm having issues because I'm using a crappy charger I had laying around the house. But I've read that if you get a good quality charger the power issues aren't quite as bad.

I use a home made screen shade. Cardboard, black felt and some duct tape... Making your own you can
make it as long as you want, and can alter the angle of the back plate to further reduce glare.

29D15B93-DA39-4CF9-8C82-A418529E21C5_zpstvlgazer.jpg

171E6C32-DF01-441D-A8D2-78C39AD09CE1_zpstbhsscfl.jpg

And NO it doesn't fold up... When I'm not using it I wear it as a hat.

How well does that bad boy reduce glare compared to manufactured ones?

How well does that bad boy reduce glare compared to manufactured ones?

I've been increasing the angle of the back plate, which has improved its effectiveness quite a bit. This was my second attempt at
making one, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I'd say it's comparable to store bought shields. Having said that, a friend of mine
made a shield from a can of matte black spray paint, and a cut up plastic (gallon) milk container that works awesome. The Tab 4
was too big, so I cut up some cardboard.

For what they're charging for screens, trying to make your own just makes $en$e.

If you are in a position to upgrade cell phone and plan, many companies will do a 100 dollar iphone 6 entry phone exchange and share plan it with an ipad mini 4 wifi/cell for additional 24 per month.

So you end up with a new iphone 6 cell phone 64 and ipad mini 4 retina 16, barometer, A 8 chip, shared plan for same dollar as your old phone and plan except you've added 24/month for share plane and new ipad.

All this will come in handy in the future when you want to hand your iphone to a friend and have p3p track them with 3rd party apps.

I only wish I could easily do this.... In theory it's a great idea. BUT!!

Cell phone companies are sneaky #&*@%s. I am out of contract right now, and spent 20 minutes talking to a sales person that did nothing
but try to dodge answering direct questions. I walked out with my iPhone 4S.... Right now I have unlimited data, and want to keep it, and
the three letter company I'm using wants me to switch off to a set data plan... Nope. Not doing it. Time to move on I guess....

Shared data plans are bad joo-joo... and an easy cash grab for phone companies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic