Getting great results with Adobe After Effects, but the files are HUGE

Reaction score
I'm really digging AE, but the files it's producing from 5min video clips are around 200Gb. Are my settings wrong, or is this just the nature of the program? Thank you in advance.
P.S. The finished files play normally, and look amazing.

This definitely doesn't sound right. I wouldn't expect an hour long video to get close to 200 gigs, let alone a 5 minute one.

It be awesome if you could tell us what the source files are shot on, the resolution, the bit rate, the codec. “My files are huge” means nothing.

Reactions: Ripper7620
It be awesome if you could tell us what the source files are shot on, the resolution, the bit rate, the codec. “My files are huge” means nothing.
Thank you for the reply, I'm shooting @4K, 4096X2160, and am using a bit rate of 16 in AE. Normally I've been using the Normal setting, but have just started to experiment with D-log. I'm a complete novice, so there's likely an abundance of user error on my part.

IMG_6040.jpg

So 5 mins is around 900MB using

H.264 (AVC codec)
100Mbs data rate
And assuming 30 frames per second

Your gamma curve (d-log) is irrelevant for the math on space needed.

So I think you probably have a timeline that is higher bit depth or when you saved it out you used a codec that uses less compression.

All things being equal (resolution, frame rate, bit depth and data rate) then the only variable to file size is what codec is used when saving after rendering.

Thank you for the reply, I'm shooting @4K, 4096X2160, and am using a bit rate of 16 in AE. Normally I've been using the Normal setting, but have just started to experiment with D-log. I'm a complete novice, so there's likely an abundance of user error on my part.
Im curious about te bit rate you mention of 16 - i think you might be conflating two different things. Theres bit rate (or data rate which the Phantom can shoot at 100 Mbs) and bit depth which the phantom shoots at 8 bits per channel.

So i'm thinking of your Premiere Project is at 16 bit (depth) then there is possibly where your 2GB came from)....

Im curious about te bit rate you mention of 16 - i think you might be conflating two different things. Theres bit rate (or data rate which the Phantom can shoot at 100 Mbs) and bit depth which the phantom shoots at 8 bits per channel.

So i'm thinking of your Premiere Project is at 16 bit (depth) then there is possibly where your 2GB came from)....
Thank you very much for the reply, I still lack a basic understanding of what I'm doing.

Well lets not kid ourselves... you have a flying camera and jumped right into Adobe Premiere which is a serious NLE. So yep. Learning curve to make your head explode. YouTube is your friend in terms of learning how to use PP. and even Adobe's help site has great stuff.

View attachment 98147
So 5 mins is around 900MB using

H.264 (AVC codec)
100Mbs data rate
And assuming 30 frames per second

Your gamma curve (d-log) is irrelevant for the math on space needed.

So I think you probably have a timeline that is higher bit depth or when you saved it out you used a codec that uses less compression.

All things being equal (resolution, frame rate, bit depth and data rate) then the only variable to file size is what codec is used when saving after rendering.
The final rendering is in an AVI format. I understand the P4P shoots at a bit depth, or rate of 8, but I haven't figured out how to get out of the 16 bit rate, or depth in After Effects, and my codec is H.264.

Well lets not kid ourselves... you have a flying camera and jumped right into Adobe Premiere which is a serious NLE. So yep. Learning curve to make your head explode. YouTube is your friend in terms of learning how to use PP. and even Adobe's help site has great stuff.
Thank you for the reply, I've watched several YouTube tutorials on Premiere Pro, and am now at the point where I just need to jump in and get my hands dirty, as I learn the fastest with hands on experience.

Reactions: ravedog
By the way - get used to it - 4K is huge and will eat up a ton of drive space - even 1080p does as well...

A gig a minute is about what I expect when working with 4K 24P footage. The finished render will depend on what CODEC and what the frame rate and bitrate of the 4K footage is.
I normally edit in Premiere CS6 unless I have to do something fancy, like image tracking and replacement/compositing of new elements from 3D CGI into the film. And AE tries to cache as much of the frames as possible in RAM. My editing workstation used two Xeon 2667 CPUs and 128GB of RAM and even so, it fills up fast.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj