Getting coordinates on the actual VIDEO

Reaction score
Good Day, all! I am going to take video of a wetlands area that is approx. 17 acres. We are interested in having the coordinates actually show ON THE VIDEO as the drone flies around from place to place.

Is this possible? Can someone please tell me how to do this???

Thank you!

Is this in the DJI Go Settings, or in the video playback settings? Thanks, didn't know this was possible!

It’s in the DJI go settings, causes the AC to record an additional seperate file alongside the video file, which contains (and can be made to display upon play back) a bunch of info including GPS, baro pressure and others I can’t recall right now.

I don’t know what happens if one edits (cuts) the video file but someone one here will - just be aware gps info is not stored in the video file I’m pretty sure.

Thats correct. The 'enable video caption' option will create a separate .srt file along with the normal video file. As noted, the data is not burned into the video file, so it (the data from the .srt file) can only be seen when using a video player that supports separate subtitle files. For example, the widely used VLC.

Burning the data into the video would require software. I've never had a need, but if it were me I would use an old school favorite such as Handbrake to burn in the subtitle data, then use the exported video from Handbrake (with the data now burned in) to edit in another video editor. I'm sure there must be a more modern method, but as I said I have never had the need so I'm not so updated in this area.

Reactions: Lindsaybev and Loz
Thanks OSO your post reminded me it’s a subtitle file, so OP may also perhaps look for subtitle editor as I’d assume such a thing would by design need to maintain sync between content of the two files if / when edited, just an idea anyhow..

Reactions: Oso
It’s in the DJI go settings, causes the AC to record an additional seperate file alongside the video file, which contains (and can be made to display upon play back) a bunch of info including GPS, baro pressure and others I can’t recall right now.

I don’t know what happens if one edits (cuts) the video file but someone one here will - just be aware gps info is not stored in the video file I’m pretty sure.
A fount of information! Thank you so much for the quick reply!!

Thats correct. The 'enable video caption' option will create a separate .srt file along with the normal video file. As noted, the data is not burned into the video file, so it (the data from the .srt file) can only be seen when using a video player that supports separate subtitle files. For example, the widely used VLC.

Burning the data into the video would require software. I've never had a need, but if it were me I would use an old school favorite such as Handbrake to burn in the subtitle data, then use the exported video from Handbrake (with the data now burned in) to edit in another video editor. I'm sure there must be a more modern method, but as I said I have never had the need so I'm not so updated in this area.
May be "old school", but at least I am a bit familiar with Handbrake! You win the "most informative" award! Thanks!

And, thank you, to everyone!

As long as you burn the data on to the video before you edit, the data will remain accurate without the need to edit 2 files

Reactions: Loz and Lindsaybev
Got the video, got both the mp4 and srt files....now I will get to work on the rest of the project! Thank for everyone's help!

Reactions: BigAl07
Is this in the DJI Go Settings, or in the video playback settings? Thanks, didn't know this was possible!
Thought I would let you know what I have learned about playing back the subtitles. (also known as the GPS coordinates, Barometer (altitude), Home coordinates, etc.)

Yes, you can see all of this information on top of your video in a rather large white font, right in the middle of the video, only if you use a media player that will play the .srt file. People have said VLC will do this. But you must have the .srt file in the same folder as you have the .mp4 (what I save) when you play the .mp4 file.

For me, I wanted to edit this file a bit, the placement of the subtitles and the size, color of the font. So you must find a video editor that will allow you to do this specifically for an .srt file. I have Sony Vegas Pro, which necessitates a special plug in to do this I, for an extra $100.00. I understand that Handbrake will do it for free, but it too seemed a little more complicated with more plug-ins. I also read that Handbrake was a bit slow doing this with large files. (Last two sentences are only "what I read" about, not based on personal experience).

What I did find, and use, was VideoPad. It was VERY QUICK, and VERY SIMPLE to use. It does cost about $39.00 for a lifetime license. But it was a very nice, on the web (so not loading down the computer) service. It served the purpose perfectly. It also does more than subtitle manipulation. But I have not really investigated more. See Link:

Video Editing Software. Free Download. Easy Movie Editor.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: doktorinjh

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj