Getting a P2 next week, I have a couple questions

Reaction score
I am brand new to this hobby. I have planned on getting into this for a few years and now here I am.
I am getting a bare bones P2 next week and am confused on a few points after watching some videos.
1. Return to Home. I watched videos of P2's zooming away out of control and getting lost. When signal was lost why did the drone not return?
2. I actually WANT to start out flying manual and not in FPV if my terminology is correct. What is the realistic range that I can be safe in with a standard setup? After seeing the runaway drone vids I don't want my first one going byebye.
3. After I get the manual skills imbedded in my brain I want to move up to FPV. Total loss how this works, but it does seem to favor GoPro. I have a Drift Ghost HD I motovlog with, can I use this camera?

Hi Mike,

1: Perhaps they had taken off before it had set its home point or flown it too far away and lost all orientation and made things worse.
2: I think you mean LOS (line of sight) flying (manually) - this can be done in GPS, ATTI and full manual mode ... practice with GPS mode first then when comfortable try ATTI mode... BEFORE entering full manual mode, i think theyre a bit arse-heavy for manual fun but they can still be flown in full manual, i used to stunt my Phantom 1 in full manual, the Phantom 2 is much heavier tho.
3: FPV is when its transmitting what the onboard cam is seeing to a monitor or goggles (i use goggles and a GoPro on a P2 with H3-3D gimbal), not sure on your cam tho, on the GoPro you can get the video from the USB charging port or the larger rear port. Your problem will be attaching it to a suitable gimbal, there are various types so you need to look if they support your camera, failing that as long as its strapped to a gimbal well and can transmit the video via your cam to an onboard video transmitter (you will need to add) you should receive it ok on a monitor/goggles.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
I am brand new to this hobby. I have planned on getting into this for a few years and now here I am.
I am getting a bare bones P2 next week and am confused on a few points after watching some videos.
1. Return to Home. I watched videos of P2's zooming away out of control and getting lost. When signal was lost why did the drone not return?
2. I actually WANT to start out flying manual and not in FPV if my terminology is correct. What is the realistic range that I can be safe in with a standard setup? After seeing the runaway drone vids I don't want my first one going byebye.
3. After I get the manual skills imbedded in my brain I want to move up to FPV. Total loss how this works, but it does seem to favor GoPro. I have a Drift Ghost HD I motovlog with, can I use this camera?

1) About 95% of the video that claim they were flyaways were actually pilot error. The RTH has two functions failsafe and critical low battery an both have to be setup in the P2 assistant software. Take a look at the two photos.

2) Manufactures says 1000m (3280.84') but if you live in the US you are required to fly within visual line of sight (VLOS) doubt you can see it at 1000' away. Even with FPV you are limited to VLOS. You also have register your P2 with the FAA if you live stateside.

Your Screenshot.jpg
Phantom Mode.jpg

here is a link to the manual v1.4, P2 assistant v.3.8, RC controller v1.2 and windows driver. Just scroll down to the downloads.
Phantom 2 - The Spirit Of Flight
Before upgrading any software check to see what is already on both the R/C and P2 if this used P2 an if its new you will need to download the windows into the P2 before you use its software.

Here's a link to FAA registration for the P2:
https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/

Thanks for all the info and help everyone. I will have to check my camera to see if it will connect to the Drone. I seen a video on youtube lastnight of someone using the Drift with a GoPro universal mount? I think, but not sure if it was just recording or FPV. Time to crack the books and get to studying!! Thanks for the help!!!

Mike FPV is a video system consisting of a video signal from a camera to an iOSD then to a video transmitter and to a monitor/receiver. Now your the problem with the Drift camera there isn't a gimbal for that camera and without the knowing which leads are the video/ground setting up an FPV system would impossible. Another point is since there isn't suitable gimbal you would have to mount it in a fixed position you're limited to 90° or straight ahead viewing only. The Drift camera originally came with stick on mounting adapters but because of the cameras design I do not think GoPro mounts will work.

To go with a used GoPro and new zenmuse gimbal plus a complete FPV system would run over $500. There are cheaper aftermarket cameras and gimbals that would bring your costs down but you get exactly what you pay for.when it comes hooking it up.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic