Getting a GoPro 3, but worried about WiFi

Reaction score
I am getting a GoPro 3, and have read don't use the Phantom with Wifi, and GoPro3, else the Phantom gets flyaways? I am concerned even the Remote that comes with GoPro 3 is also wifi, so is it advisable no to use any of these?

With all the fly aways being reported on various boards I've decided to retire my GoPro for a while until this all gets sorted out. I've ordered a 808 #16 v2 keychain camera with the D lens. It shoots 720p 30fps. It's under $50.00 on Ebay. There's plenty of videos on Youtube, that look great. It also comes with the cable foe FPV.

I don't use my GoPro 3 anymore with my Phantom. Wifi turns 'on' when mounted under the Phantom, and even when I use the camera seperately, WiFi turns on when it is near the main controller....

I now use my GoPro 2 under the Phantom, and when using the GoPro 3 I tell my wife to stand 30 feet away from me.

I have 53 flights with GoPro Hero3BE on my Phantom. ( Yes I keep a log of all my flights)
I have always turned the WiFi on the camera off, no issues so far.

Its really hard to figure out the reason for flyaways, wifi?, too much signal noise in the neighborhood?
The Phantom TX seems pretty weak, and the RX inside the Phantom is maybe an issue too?

Anyway in a week or two I will be replacing the TX/RX chain with a new Jeti DS-16 TX and a Jeti RX.
Even if the Phantom is more or less a toy for me, it would be nice to keep control :idea: :arrow: :cool:

Yes, turn off the WiFi and it won't be a problem (something else can give you the issues :) ). It shouldn't turn on by itself if you've got it selected as "off" in the settings.

That's why I posted.

My GoPro 3 turns the WiFi 'on' when it is near the main controller.

When mounted under my Phantom, the Phantom couldn't be controlled anymore after some time.

I managed to land and WiFi was activated... only not by me.

Happened 3 times, then I decided to not use the GoPro 3 anymore.

Weird. I haven't had that issue, mind you I don't carry the remote around with me. in fact I've never used it. So perhaps the answer is just leave the remote at home.
The other thing is, have you turned off the WiFi through the settings menu as opposed to with the WiFi button? I think there are a couple options and I wonder if one functionally operates like a standby switch (I don't have my GoPro handy so I can't check)

telecaster said:
I have 53 flights with GoPro Hero3BE on my Phantom. ( Yes I keep a log of all my flights)
I have always turned the WiFi on the camera off, no issues so far.

Its really hard to figure out the reason for flyaways, wifi?, too much signal noise in the neighborhood?
The Phantom TX seems pretty weak, and the RX inside the Phantom is maybe an issue too?

Anyway in a week or two I will be replacing the TX/RX chain with a new Jeti DS-16 TX and a Jeti RX.
Even if the Phantom is more or less a toy for me, it would be nice to keep control :idea: :arrow: :cool:

I'm just like you, I keep a log of all my flights and my HERO3 always on. I'm up to Flight #33. No Issues so far. I'm always careful on my pre-flights checks and I cross my fingers.

No problems here with my Hero3 Black.
when I first got it I actually flew a few times intentionally with the Wifi turned on (wasn't aware of any potential threats).
But once I heard of those, I made sure it was turned off prior to take-off. never had a problem with loss of control, knock on wood.

Having a substantial electronics background, and working on many different types of TX and RX over the years both commercially and as a hobbyist I have a bit of knowledge on this topic. For those that believe they have a problem, has anyone tried RF shielding and grounding for the receiver, repositioning antenna, and a few other basic radio techniques? (The Phantom has little if any RF shielding as is, and they position the antenna near the camera mount) Its rather hard to believe that with both devices operating in totally different bands segments there is a problem. Transmitter/receiver coupling, while even in close proximity with devices which is not close frequency is near impossible, but saturation may be. Additionally, these devices being digitally bound to common TX/RX combinations, not being in close frequency, on multiple harmonics makes it even more unlikely. Not having a GoPro3 I can not investigate with Station Monitor or Spectrum Analyzer. From specs on both TX in GoPro and RX/TX combo with NAZA, I see little possibility unless antenna or Phantom RX is being saturated with signal from camera, but again, the mismatch in frequency or harmonics makes it unlikely. In any case, repositioning the RX antenna an odd fraction of the wave length, and adding RF shielding and common ground for receiver would add an element of security.

If there are distributers that monitor this forum, has any one requested they contact NAZA-DJI or GoPro product development, engineering, or electronic service for assistance or determination. Just curious with the number of devices from both products out there and being used in tandem with even commercial operators all over the world using the Phantom and other DJI products/devices as well as GoPro why there hasn't been service bulletins coming from NAZA-DJI or GoPro if there was a problem.

While all these products are a FCC Type 15 product and must accept any and all electromagnetic interference in the 1.2 and 5.8 gig segment of the band just like garage door openers and other bluetooth devices. There are numerous techniques that can be employed to make interference rejection more substantial. The greatest we have available is the spread spectrum digitally bound technology and good basic electronics radio engineering techniques.

k8xd said:
Having a substantial electronics background, and working on many different types of TX and RX over the years both commercially and as a hobbyist I have a bit of knowledge on this topic. For those that believe they have a problem, has anyone tried RF shielding and grounding for the receiver, repositioning antenna, and a few other basic radio techniques? (The Phantom has little if any RF shielding as is, and they position the antenna near the camera mount) Its rather hard to believe that with both devices operating in totally different bands segments there is a problem. Transmitter/receiver coupling, while even in close proximity with devices which is not close frequency is near impossible, but saturation may be. Additionally, these devices being digitally bound to common TX/RX combinations, not being in close frequency, on multiple harmonics makes it even more unlikely. Not having a GoPro3 I can not investigate with Station Monitor or Spectrum Analyzer. From specs on both TX in GoPro and RX/TX combo with NAZA, I see little possibility unless antenna or Phantom RX is being saturated with signal from camera, but again, the mismatch in frequency or harmonics makes it unlikely. In any case, repositioning the RX antenna an odd fraction of the wave length, and adding RF shielding and common ground for receiver would add an element of security.

If there are distributers that monitor this forum, has any one requested they contact NAZA-DJI or GoPro product development, engineering, or electronic service for assistance or determination. Just curious with the number of devices from both products out there and being used in tandem with even commercial operators all over the world using the Phantom and other DJI products/devices as well as GoPro why there hasn't been service bulletins coming from NAZA-DJI or GoPro if there was a problem.

While all these products are a FCC Type 15 product and must accept any and all electromagnetic interference in the 1.2 and 5.8 gig segment of the band just like garage door openers and other bluetooth devices. There are numerous techniques that can be employed to make interference rejection more substantial. The greatest we have available is the spread spectrum digitally bound technology and good basic electronics radio engineering techniques.

Why has DJI not had service bulletins about this problem. Will tell you why? They are simply not interested in the problem. If you have been to their facebook page. People have had messages deleted by DJI concerning the flyaway problem, and even people on here have been totally ignored by DJI, they are plainly not interested in any problems people are having and don't answer emails, or if they do, says it's the dealers problem, and with many dealers DJI are very, very slow to respond to even the dealer.

Also it is not GoPro's problem at all, as it is no their product, so why should they. GoPro is not DJI and not linked with them.

As a matter of fact. DJI have solved the problem, by ignoring it's customers and dealers by producing a new Phantom, the Phantom vision. It may have fixed the problem, by not using GoPro at all, with updated firmware, electronics and completely ignored those with the Original Phantom. I would not be surprised that the issues with flyaways, they quickly came out with a new Phantom to fix this problem, and as far as the People who have bought the 1st Phantom, hard luck is DJI's solution to the problem, buy the new Phantom Vision.

Just seems strange with the reported Problems and DJI ignoring the fact, then out of the Blue, look we have a new Phantom Model, and so soon.

Denodan:
Your entitled to your opinion. I don't see it based on any fact, but THAT is my opinion. I'm not an appliance operator. I a builder and designer and go at things from a scientific/engineering perspective and I base my opinion on sound scientific/engineering analysis and experience. Your trashing this device solely on your experience and others feedback. I've and many others have had zero problems. If and when I do, I will find out why. Of course I've had close to 50 yrs experience in R/C in all aspects of the aero side and use that experience, both good and bad to learn. I don't automatically expect perfection from any device i build or purchase, and until I am relatively certain of its performance and fitness to purpose I'm conservative. Only after that period do I push the envelope. Guess thats why I'm not constantly crashing and/or replacing parts or whole units. That wisdom comes with age, building, experience and mind for understanding and analyzing why a product behaves the way it does..........

I shared some simple and easy techniques that have been used for many many years in the R/C hobby that are based on sound electronic engineering principles. Not sure why you chose to go negative trashing DJI and the distributers, but that was your decision. I was just trying to assist in this forum techniques for isolating and shielding stray RF if there was a possibility of stray RF getting into the components and saturating the receiver. By the way, I have shielded both my receiver and ESC's in mine and tested successfully with stray RF on or near the transmitter and GoPro frequencies. Not a glitch, and the dB of the source was considerably higher than what the GoPro signal was. So it works well.

Have a great day

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31