Geomagnetic Storms

Reaction score
Which app has the best estimate of the geomagnetic impact on our drones ?
I have 2 apps, which most of the time, show completely different numbers.
As I type, UAV forecast is showing 1, Magnetology is showing 5 !! What apps do you guys use if any ??
Thanks, Have A Nice Afternoon... It's beautiful here near Philly... going out in about an hour to fly !!
Cheers, Steve

Yes, wise man once say:
“Man with one watch always knows what time it is, Man with two watch never know what time it is”.

Neither of them are technically correct as there is no proven correlation between those numbers and drone performance or safety.

Delete them both.

I use UAV Forecast and Hover and both are showing (0) right now for me.

The official site for solar and geomagnetic activity is:
Homepage | NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center
The chart "Estimated Planetary K-Index" defines the current state of the Earth's geomagnetic field. K=4 is unsettled. K=5-7 is a geomagnetic storm with K>7 a severe geomagnetic storm. I wouldn't be concerned about a geomagnetic storm until K=7 or higher; some possible GPS position and timing errors can occur with K>7. I intentionally flew during a K=7 storm in a wide open space and did not notice any strange behavior with my P3. Your mileage may vary as geomagnetic disturbances during a storm will vary from place to place across the planet. The K-index is updated every three hours. I just wouldn't get concerned about geomagnetic storms until it reaches severe stage at K=7, 8, or 9. The primary effect during a severe storm is the magnetic field is disturbed and wiggling around, in which the drone compass sensor finding geomagnetic north may also wiggle around a bit in the order of a few degrees, enough to perhaps trigger a drone compass error. In such cases, be safe and bring your drone home.

The next person that has problems flying their Phantom due to a high K-index will be the first one ever.
If the K-index ever gets high enough to cause drone problems. drones will be the last thing you have to worry about.

Thanks to everyone for their comments...
Have An Awesome Weekend !!

A place I want to fly says "magnetic disturbance of as much as 6 degrees exists" in that location.
Something to be worried about?

A place I want to fly says "magnetic disturbance of as much as 6 degrees exists" in that location.
Something to be worried about?
I would say it depends on who you listen to. Personally, myself, I do not fly in anything over 7. Wishing you the Best... Stay Safe !!!

Why not? There’s no effect on your aircraft.

Yea. Been discussed here for years.
Not one case of any issues posted.

Just not an issue for our toys.

I would say it depends on who you listen to. Personally, myself, I do not fly in anything over 7. Wishing you the Best... Stay Safe !!!
You are confusing a magnetic anomaly (small local difference between true north and magnetic north caused by geology) with solar flare activity.
These are very, very different phenomena and not at all related.
I have answered the question where he has asked it on another thread: "Large Magnetic Disturbances" on VFR Sectional Chart

Yea. Been discussed here for years.
Not one case of any issues posted.

Just not an issue for our toys.
Well, let's just say that nobody has positively identified an issue and posted about it here.

That doesn't mean there never has been an issue.

What I’m saying is doubling the worst case GPS accuracy from 15 to 30 foot radial accuracy is a non-issue.
It will not cause your aircraft to zoom away uncontrollably.

It becomes less significant when using dual systems such as GPS + GLONASS.

Thus it’s a non-issue.

There’s no need to be snarky.

Your entire world relies on GPS signals for timing and synchronization more than you
seemingly realize so your drone is the least of your worries.

This does not mean it’s not vulnerable to disruption by bad actors but that it’s more reliable and its use more ubiquitous than you might imagine.

GPS.gov: Applications

Reactions: DKG13CC
I'm not been flying drones very long but if I have to be a rocket scientist to figure out geomagnetic storms it's time to quit flying as far as I'm concerned

In this case ignorance is bliss. There’s no need to be concerned with this. If the terrestrial weather is good, go fly.

Reactions: Robert P

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20