Geofence - an attempt for Your privacy

Reaction score
Here is a link for rules of Geofence
DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Hm, i will have to authorize every flight over my garden in my City, even in my own house. I will stay with old firmware forever, and with DJI for never. Now i have locked a flying over airports and stadiums. Personally i dont care about that, but in new fw i will have locked almost everything in my country, even TSA zones over few kilometers up, and every one my flight will be tracked.

This is the last nail to DJI coffin. NO for alleged safety. This is only about tracking people or to find a scapegoat!

There is no other stupid solution on the market. Even with toy syma, parrot or anything else your flights are not collected and processed.

And what in a case of some air incident what could happend in the same day and area of Your flight?
Gov ask DJI for flight data, they get all DJI users who flied that day, all of them will be called to police, questioned and their drone will be keep by Government for analyse. It may take even a year.

And even not in a case of air incident. Someone will get a white toy for 30 bucks and his neighbor will call a police (only because he can), and a few people from authorization area could be questioned and waste a time.

Sorry, i do not have a time and desire for a that kind of unpleasantness.

IF this geofence systems could aplly to current no-fly zones and stadiums - OK - this is ont a big deal and i can understand security concerns.
But locking a 3/4 space of country? For a God sake!

Check maps for Your countries. This is the quarter of my:
bXsqYwQ.jpg

And what is the logic for putting NFZ for TSA zone, active over FL095 when Phantom limit is 500m?
And about cities - there is no NFZ there, of course you need to get a clearance to fly over Warsaw, but everyone will get it. Authorization by DJI is not needed. A garden near home at downtown is NOT area near airport!

Yellow authorization zones should be only 'warning' zones, and not all of course. Most of them should not have even 'warning', because there is no law or logic reason for that.

Only one reason of that. Not Your safety at all.
iYl33zx.jpg

Last edited:
This is my first look at this web site. What's up with all the warning zones? I looked up my town, and as expected the tiny private airport with the occasional Cessna is there. But, a factory is also there, with a 5 mile radius warning zone around it. How did that get there? Ironically, it is the factory my wife works at so I know a lot about the place. There's no need to give a "warning" just because I'm within 5 miles of a factory. And, if the drone crashed on the roof (I would never fly it over the factory, besides the factory is beside the airport anyway), it would cause virtually no damage... you might break a window or an antenna, and I'd expect the pilot would be fully responsible for the damage. Can any business just declare a special 5 mile zone around themselves? This is absurd... the entire country would quickly be a warning zone (at least).

You should read the FAQ before overreacting.

HOW GEO WORKS
Geospatial information in GEO is categorized in one of three ways:

1. Warning Zone. In these Zones, which may not necessarily appear on the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning message that may be relevant to their flight. Example Warning Zone: A protected wildlife area.
  2. Authorization Zone. In these Zones, which appear yellow in the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is limited by default. Authorization Zones may be unlocked by authorized users using a DJI verified account. Example Authorization Zone: Model aircraft flying club near an airport.
  3. Restricted Zone. In these Zones, which appear red the DJI GO app, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is prevented. Example Restricted Zone: Washington D.C. If you believe you have authorization to operate in a Restricted Zone, please contact[email protected]
The GEO system is advisory only. Sometimes the Zones in GEO do not necessarily match the parameters or shape of official geospatial features due to an abundance of caution or technical reasons. Each user is responsible for checking official sources and determining what laws or regulations might apply to their flight.

I have readed. Where i am overreacting? 3/4 of my country is in Authorization Zone.
Please read and check the map before posting.

HOW GEO WORKS

1. Warning Zone. In these Zones, which may not necessarily appear on the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning message that may be relevant to their flight. Example Warning Zone: A protected wildlife area.
  2. Authorization Zone. In these Zones, which appear yellow in the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is limited by default. Authorization Zones may be unlocked by authorized users using a DJI verified account. Example Authorization Zone: Model aircraft flying club near an airport.
  3. Restricted Zone. In these Zones, which appear red the DJI GO app, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is prevented. Example Restricted Zone: Washington D.C. If you believe you have authorization to operate in a Restricted Zone, please contact[email protected]
The GEO system is advisory only. Sometimes the Zones in GEO do not necessarily match the parameters or shape of official geospatial features due to an abundance of caution or technical reasons. Each user is responsible for checking official sources and determining what laws or regulations might apply to their flight.

I am not overreacting, and I read the FAQ. I understand a warning zone puts up a warning. What I am asking is why one lone little factory can declare a 10 mile wide diameter as their special warning zone. How did this data get in there? Can anyone just put their own info in there? I doubt the FAA came up with it on their own. I am surrounded by factories... if they all decide to be warning zones, the map will just be one giant green warning zone, sea to shining sea, making it utterly useless.

And, I just checked out that map for the recreational property I own in another state; I plan to do the majority of my flying there because I bought the drone primarily to scout out the land for features and possible building sites from above. My land is a mile from a lake, and for some reason that lake is also marked as a 5 mile radius "warning zone". This seems nonsensical to me. There's not much special about this lake, besides its beauty and remoteness. Actually, come to think of it, I have seen a seaplane floating in front of an expensive house on the far side of that lake... I guess that could be the reason, although I'd still like to know how the data got there. His sea plane will be fine.

Oh... I'm starting to see a pattern... my wife's company that is the "warning zone" has a helipad. I just remembered that. No one has ever seen a helicopter land there, but it does exist. I hope no one expects me to contact the "control tower" if I fly within 5 miles of a private seaplane dock or an unused helipad.

The problem is not in warning zone - OK - warning is warning. It is only information, and good it is.
The problem is in authenticating a most of flights on a 3/4 country coverage. This autenthication is stored, processed, analysed and it could be used against You, even if you not did something wrong.

You do not need to authenticate of flights only in potential risk places as airports, nuclear plants etc, but you need to authenticate almost all of Your flights. Look at the map in my first post.

There are TSA zones marked as 'authentication zones', where TSA zone is starting from FL095 and above...

This can serve to undermine the presumption of innocence. This is very very dangerous to all DJI customers operating in area of potential air incident caused by any other person.

All clear here in the Land of the free... Except for a small airport in yellow. It says you can get a 3 day pass to fly in the yellow areas.

People, You dont see a point.
1. Tha pass could be given only by a Your local authority in Your country, not a DJI.
2. on DJI you can make self-authorization, independently if you have real authorization or even NOT.
3. IF will be some air accident, even NOT connected with Your activity, you could be tracked and questioned by authorities in a role of suspected.

I agree a warning zone isn't much of a problem, however if its intent is to actually give me some kind of helpful useful warning, having most of the country be a warning zone makes it not a warning zone. Everyone will get that warning ever time, and automatically dismiss it, just like they dismiss that browser warning that comes up on lots of web sites that don't have their SSL certificate set up properly... I know the web site is fine, so I dismiss it, although I suppose there's still a 1 in a billion chance the web site might not be fine and instead have been taken over by someone else, but... thanks to that warning happening all the bleeping time, I'm going to click through it as fast as possible and not notice a potential issue.

Yes, I see your point about authorization zone being a bigger issue. Fortunately, I'm not in one, although there is a big one nearby covering an entire city thanks to a medium-sized airport that's there. (And the area around the airport most definitely should not be flown with a drone, although areas further out within that 5 mile radius should be perfectly fine for <400ft flights.)

HOW GEO WORKS

I'm curious about Restricted Zones. Would it actually be impossible to take off and fly? Is that what is meant by "flight is prevented"? What if I have permission from the tower/runway manager and local land management because we are working on a joint project? Would I need to download different firmware/software to be able to fly or would I/we still need to contact flysafe?

Thanks for your help!

yes, but it is responsibility of UAV operator, to know the local law.

And another thing. If someone will want to do some bad thing near airport he will buy some cheap drone, not DJI, or even he buy DJI, he will authorize the flight from fake email on cellphone number, he DO bad thing, and You will be tracked and questioned in a role of suspected, NOT him.

This system impacts on the normal user like You and me. Criminal is free here. It similar to guns. Guns limit will impact normal people, not criminals. Criminal will always have a gun.

I'm curious about Restricted Zones. Would it actually be impossible to take off and fly? Is that what is meant by "flight is prevented"? What if I have permission from the tower/runway manager and local land management because we are working on a joint project? Would I need to download different firmware/software to be able to fly or would I/we still need to contact flysafe?

Thanks for your help!

Unable to start engines.

The only issue I have is with giving my credit card so I'll buy a prepaid one with a couple bucks on it in case the stored data gets mismanaged.

I keep rehashing this in my head. It's why I have held on to my P2V+ and not purchased a P3P till yesterday.

...and as much as I dislike the heavy hand of government, I think after reading the FAA site some more, looking at DJI's direction and such, I think the hobby much like the Phantom is maturing. The ability to self authorize is not so bad, if we put ourselves in the mindset that operating a UAV is the same as flying a GA craft, then what we are doing is more like filing a flight plan or for a boater, a float plan.

This does mean the wild west days of just flying anywhere without caution are over but in the end it feels like the long game of media and drone paranoia will die down.

That said, yea, I'll use the same prepaid gift card Visa and alternate email address as I did for FAA registration. Oh and I am keeping my P2V+ just in case.

Reactions: willbaroo
There is a possibility to unbind a P3 from current e-mail and bind it to another?

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1451669377.258731.jpg

If you move outside the restricted area and start you get a warning. If you fly toward the restricted area it's like you hit a wall and it won't move into it. App shows "Collision" on the upper left corner.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4