Geo System - Unlock Area option

Reaction score
I just noticed the option in the attached picture. I had just done a software update and hadn't seen it before.

I am in the process of attempting the geo-fence unlock process for an INDOOR photo shoot that happens to be under a red zone for an Air Force Base.

I don't want access to the base airspace, but I wonder if this switch would allow me to fly indoors (in a gym off-base).

Does anyone know what turning this switch off does?

cdf50fc6adce83a07ccc9d9fd20e0072.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Turn it off and if any Air force pilots ask you if you are involved...... shake your head and walk away (knowing you are)...

I turn mine off... no ill results..

So far..

I live right under a Int'l airport approach...

And I fly alongside them...

I may be able to help here having been through all this with DJI Flysafe who were really helpful.
(Im a commercial operator in Australia so it might be different but here goes.)
Normally an "unlimit" still won't allow you to fly in the red zone. You will need to apply for a licence key. Contact [email protected] and explain what you need and they can help you.
I did a hanger inspection job last week and it works perfectly. You need to be logged onto your account and have internet access for the key to work. In a red zone you need to unlock with the software key every time you ARM the aircraft. Your telemetry is being logged in real time as you fly so remember that you are being monitored when flying in these areas.

Its a good safe system and it works well. The deal is, if you have approvals and the experience to fly at a towered airport (also a clearance from the tower) you can do it.

Flying inside of course is a different ask but you need to go through the process because as far as I know there is no "flying inside" unlock while you are using the GPS system.

Merry Christmas

Thanks guys!

I have used the DJI unlock process once when I did a photo shoot near an airport in Sacramento Ca. I have made the same type of request this time too.

Since I'm not going anywhere that would interfere with the lowest aircraft in any way, literally inside a building, I was hoping I could just use my judgement and switch it off.

I'm a former fighter pilot and heavy airline transport pilot who used to fly from that base, so it is very strange to have to ask an overseas company to fly there... But it is what it is...

Thanks again

I live within 3 miles of Disney and apparently that's a no fly zone... I can't fly at my house.

I assume if I was able to turn off this string like you can I would be able to. I don't see this option to shut it off though? What's wrong that I don't see it?

You won't be able to fix that one I don't think....

No fly zone unlocking is primarily for commercial operators that are engaged in UAV work within a restricted area.

It's probably a very busy heli area so you would be in a "co-mingling" airspace..

I used to live there (Anaheim). cop heli's every few mins... (high crime area). But Disneyland itself is a no fly zone due to security risks.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj