Geo fence question

S

sandman259

Who ever has the latest update, when you toggle geo off does it revert back to the old nfz system? And if you don't enable it I'm assuming you don't have to get permission and give your phone number or credit card to fly in a nfz? If that is the case I wonder why everybody is freaking out about it if you just don't have to enable it and it will be just like the old app? Am I missing something??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Who ever has the latest update, when you toggle geo off does it revert back to the old nfz system? And if you don't enable it I'm assuming you don't have to get permission and give your phone number or credit card to fly in a nfz? If that is the case I wonder why everybody is freaking out about it if you just don't have to enable it and it will be just like the old app? Am I missing something??

I think you are spot on with question everyone is freaking out is when due they enforce it .right now its just beta testing

So your thinking that it's optional now but in future updates the enable button won't be there[emoji33]. I didn't know it was still in beta, I figured it was up and running now...

on dji forum they said was being beta tested at moment that is what dji guy said who is in charge of it

Hmm so I guess time will tell if they keep it as a option. Or whatever laws come into play could effect that as well...

By default "geo" was toggled on the first time I used it from my ios device. I also got a yellow triangle warning notification since I live just under 5 miles from a runway strip. When I turned off "geo" I was prompted with 2 radio boxes with questions. I had to check both boxes before I was able to turn off the "geo" toggle. I turned off everything and rebooted two times, 1st time with "geo" toggled on. I still had the yellow triangle notification, but no 2 radio check boxes to deal with when toggling "geo" off. 2nd reboot with "geo" toggled off before reboot. This time round I only got the yellow triangle notification warning and nothing else. I will note however when the "geo" toggle is on and powered up, I was not able to toggle it off until the aircraft was powered down.

By default "geo" was toggled on the first time I used it from my ios device. I also got a yellow triangle warning notification since I live just under 5 miles from a runway strip. When I turned off "geo" I was prompted with 2 radio boxes with questions. I had to check both boxes before I was able to turn off the "geo" toggle. I turned off everything and rebooted two times, 1st time with "geo" toggled on. I still had the yellow triangle notification, but no 2 radio check boxes to deal with when toggling "geo" off. 2nd reboot with "geo" toggled off before reboot. This time round I only got the yellow triangle notification warning and nothing else. I will note however when the "geo" toggle is on and powered up, I was not able to toggle it off until the aircraft was powered down.

So the second time you rebooted it with geo off it was still in the off position correct? But you got a yellow triangle warning as well? I'm in the same situation as you, I'm barely in the 5 mile bubble in my driveway and have never seen the yellow triangle thing your talking about but I'm running 2.8.3....is this something new on the update as well? Even with geo off...did you get the same notification before the update flying in that spot? Basically I'm wondering with the geo toggled off does it behave and look the same as it did before the update?

So the second time you rebooted it with geo off it was still in the off position correct? But you got a yellow triangle warning as well? I'm in the same situation as you, I'm barely in the 5 mile bubble in my driveway and have never seen the yellow triangle thing your talking about but I'm running 2.8.3....is this something new on the update as well? Even with geo off...did you get the same notification before the update flying in that spot? Basically I'm wondering with the geo toggled off does it behave and look the same as it did before the update?

Sandman259,

I'm glad you brought this up. "geo off / yellow notification" It's 5am here with no distractions. I was wrong about the yellow notification showing up while the "geo" was toggled in the off position. Sorry for the mistake I made. I've run through it all 4 maybe 6 times this morning to make sure. Also I have never seen the yellow warning anytime before this dji-go 2.8.4 upgrade.
GEO-Display.png GEO-Toggle-Off.png GEO-Toggle-On.png GEO-Yellow.pngGEO-Display.png

Has anyone spoken to DJI about the shapes of the NFZ/Geo ?

At present they are all circles but in real life the shapes are square or rectangle so they have to include a lot of ok space to encompass the true shape.

Sandman259,

I'm glad you brought this up. "geo off / yellow notification" It's 5am here with no distractions. I was wrong about the yellow notification showing up while the "geo" was toggled in the off position. Sorry for the mistake I made. I've run through it all 4 maybe 6 times this morning to make sure. Also I have never seen the yellow warning anytime before this dji-go 2.8.4 upgrade.
View attachment 59533 View attachment 59534 View attachment 59535 View attachment 59536View attachment 59533

Hey thanks a lot for the info...those pics of the map with the red and yellow circles were they with geo toggled off? I don't remember ever seeing those with 2.8.3. Are they showing up like that on the map regardless if geo is on or off?

Hey thanks a lot for the info...those pics of the map with the red and yellow circles were they with geo toggled off? I don't remember ever seeing those with 2.8.3. Are they showing up like that on the map regardless if geo is on or off?
I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 4.7 miles from the airport tower. In version 2.8.3 it always appeared as 1 solid red circle, like the inter red circle in the image. These images are with version 2.8.4. With the "geo" toggled off is the image that displays the inter and outer 2 red circles. With the "geo" toggled on is the imaged with an inter solid red circle with the outer yellow circle.
When it gets quite around here again and family goes to bed, I plan to fire this thing back up in "flight simulation mode" and see how it responds there. Several months back during a rainy spell I flew it over to the airport and landed it at the boarding gates. I figured it would have stopped me at the red circle, but it didn't.

I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 4.7 miles from the airport tower. In version 2.8.3 it always appeared as 1 solid red circle, like the inter red circle in the image. These images are with version 2.8.4. With the "geo" toggled off is the image that displays the inter and outer 2 red circles. With the "geo" toggled on is the imaged with an inter solid red circle with the outer yellow circle.
When it gets quite around here again and family goes to bed, I plan to fire this thing back up in "flight simulation mode" and see how it responds there. Several months back during a rainy spell I flew it over to the airport and landed it at the boarding gates. I figured it would have stopped me at the red circle, but it didn't.

You've been very helpful thank you...keep us informed on anything new or differences you find out using it[emoji106]

Sandman259,

View attachment 59533 View attachment 59534 View attachment 59535 View attachment 59536View attachment 59533

543c2e785939c70c78159b66bc621da9.jpg

Ok I looked at mine today running 2.8.3 and it looks like what yours does running 2.8.4 with geo toggled off. Other then that there is two red circles...wonder what that means?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

So I went a head a bit the bullet and updated the firmware tonight since it looked like when you toggled geo off it was pretty much the same as it was before. Will do a cold imu later and fly tomorrow. One question TnHwymqn, if your flying and you start coming close to the red what happens? Does it just return to home or land? Hopefully not land cause that could be far away. And if your using a iPad without internet how does that work? How does it know if your in a nfz if you don't have a map cause of no internet?

Sorry to break in sandman but this is not on my standard .Is this just out for the Pro/Adv at the moment ?
I am up to date on firmware and Go app .

Hmm not sure I figured it would be on all of them. I updated everything today.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hmm not sure I figured it would be on all of them. I updated everything today.

Thanks,I thought it would be to but looking at the screen shot in this thread you see it but is not in mine .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj