General beginner advice please.

Reaction score
I've been into high end rc cars for years and have many but I recently bought a syma x5c and was instantly hooked I watched eBay and bought the cheapest phantom 2 vision I could find that was in good shape and rtf for $750, ive since run across an identical one for $550, should I buy it and sell one on eBay to recoupse some cash for another battery or is it probably not worth the hassle? Was $750 a decent deal and $550 a steal? This hobby is so expensive saving a hundred or two here and there is huge!
Also I ordered prop guards but maybe they're a bad idea because they cause prop wash? I've only run about 5 packs through my x5c should I practice a lot more with it before I try the vision2? Anything special I should know that I probably haven't found on you tube and google? I'm more into sport flying than filming but wanted the camera option and the bigger battery, that's why I chose the vision 2. I read the camera is not removable. I've built so many rc's I can't imagine that's true. Is it? I'd like to remove the camera for sport flying eventually. Also should I update to 3.04 or stay on lower firmware to maintain the 25m/s speeds? Sorry for all the noobie questions but I sure would appreciate thoughts and advice and if anybody wants to drive 1/8 brushless monster trucks or fly quads in Vegas hit me up!

Hi Jason,
Being in Europe I cant tell you whats a good price on ebay for a p2v but if you can sell your own for $700 it might be worth looking at the $500 unit but you will then have to hope it hasnt been crashed or abused so I'll have to leave that one up to you.
Ive never been a fan of prop guards and to be honest I've never even wanted to use them and yes you are right they can contribute to prop wash.
The camera is very easily removable if its the phantom vision 2 (non plus). Just plug out the white power cable and remove the whole under carraige. There will also be a triple coloured wire that just clips out. That will take 15 seconds. Always make sure the battery is OFF when plugging in or out the white power cable as you can fry the camera otherwise.
Upgrading to 3.04 is a matter of choice, it limits the speed, and the descent speed (which helps cut down the chances of prop wash), but without 3.04 you wont have groundstation waypoints through the app, again thats a personal choice.
Apart from that just get out there and learn how to fly her. Take it easy and learn the basics first and you'll be fine. Ask as many questions as you want :)

Thank you so much! I wish I had found this site earlier! I'm out of town working until Monday but by the time I get home I'll have both phantom vision non pluses. If I can show any self control I'm thinking I better practice with my syma x5c a little more lol. The phantom is ten times the price and If it's even twice the fun it's going to be worth it!!!

That's great because I didn't think I would have the self control anyways lol I guess my syma x5c will be retired after only about 4 flights, she was a great first quad, got me instantly addicted!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic