GCU for Phantom Zenmuse

Reaction score
Opwan said:
Anyone know if you can add the GCU module for the Phantom only version of the Zenmuse for GoPro to use on a different quad that is non-Phantom?

The Phantom-only version of the gimbal doesn't include a GCU, that's the difference between the regular and "Phantom-only" versions. On a Phantom, the GCU is built in to the quad's mainboard.

If you want to use the gimbal on a non-Phantom airframe, you'll need the stand-alone GCU from an H3-3D or H3-2D (either will work, they're the same hardware)

The difference between...? I'm guessing some places might be selling the GCU's labeled as being for the -3D at a higher price, if that's what you're wondering. Functionally the hardware is the same.

Opwan said:
Dronefly.com has the H3-2D for $69, everywhere else it's $159 for both the 2D and 3D! Wonder what the difference is? But your sure the H3-2D can be upgraded to work with the H3-3D gimbal?

No upgrade needed for an H3-3D will work with a GCU labeled for the -2D. The GCU is just a data bridge + PMU for gimbal, so it makes sense it doesn't matter which version.

Tell her she's now on the new 3-year plan :D

I don't think your plan will work I'm afraid, although the mainboard might be transplantable (if not elegantly), the NAZA in the P2 is firmware married to the smart battery...without one of those (or some other workaround) it won't let you fly.

To answer your other moot question, the Phantom's components technically can be used with 4S, at least the P1's can, I'm not sure if they left that feature in P2 NAZA mode or not. However, I wouldn't try to use the Phantom's mainboard as your PDB for those motors and ESC's.

Also, you're running kv340 motors off of 4S?

Opwan said:
I was gonna try a 4 cell, I realize I probably need to go to a 6 cell. Just haven't got that far in my research.

Cool, I just hadn't seen ones like that run on 4S much, didn't know if maybe you had some particular reason :)

If you really want to sell the P2, throw it up in the classifieds here and it'll move.

Opwan said:
Several guys on RC Groups forum are using 4 cell lipo's on their Tarot 650 Ironmans, hum, what to do? And getting really great flight times too!

Did they say what motors and props exactly? I've seen ironman 650's w/4S but usually on kv680-770 motors.

That's a very versatile platform and I know people like to try all sorts of configs on it. A 650mm quad can swing some pretty big blades.

FYI - the H3-3D Phantom version works perfectly with the H3-2D GCU - I bought the GCU from eBay so that I could use my P2 Zenmuse Gimbal on my F550 hexacopter.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4