Garmin GLO or Extra Battery

Reaction score
Hello,
Just looking for some advice. I purchased a Phantom 3 Advanced (my first drone) last week along with an IPad Mini 2 Wifi and Garmin GLO. Prior to the drone purchase, the individual that sold me the Garmin GLO told me that I needed a GPS signal in the tablet in order for the RTH feature to work. Without it, if the craft lost connectivity, I would probably never see it again. I have figured out the fella was mistaken.

Now I have a bit of an issue. Should I return the Garmin and get a second battery? After reading a few posts I am not sure I really need the external GPS device right now. Until I get more flight time under my belt......

I will not be resetting the home point to my current location after takeoff
I will not be using the Follow Me feature
Should I hold onto the Garmin or return it and pick up an extra battery?? Looking for some direction on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Will

the individual that sold me the Garmin GLO told me that I needed a GPS signal in the tablet in order for the RTH feature to work
This is not true. RTH will work even when using a mobile device that does not have a GPS receiver. The GPS receiver in your Phantom tells it how to get back to the home point.

You do not need a GPS receiver since you are not going to use the features you listed above.

Reactions: Will T
This is not true. RTH will work even when using a mobile device that does not have a GPS receiver. The GPS receiver in your Phantom tells it how to get back to the home point.

You do not need a GPS receiver since you are not going to use the features you listed above.

Thanks so much for the quick response!!!

can never have enough batterys get more of them

Hello,
Just looking for some advice. I purchased a Phantom 3 Advanced (my first drone) last week along with an IPad Mini 2 Wifi and Garmin GLO. Prior to the drone purchase, the individual that sold me the Garmin GLO told me that I needed a GPS signal in the tablet in order for the RTH feature to work. Without it, if the craft lost connectivity, I would probably never see it again. I have figured out the fella was mistaken.

Now I have a bit of an issue. Should I return the Garmin and get a second battery? After reading a few posts I am not sure I really need the external GPS device right now. Until I get more flight time under my belt......

I will not be resetting the home point to my current location after takeoff
I will not be using the Follow Me feature
Should I hold onto the Garmin or return it and pick up an extra battery?? Looking for some direction on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Will
I would go with the second battery. at this time your probably not going to be flying it to far away and as other have said you can't have to many batteries. Maybe after a few month and many where your flying too if you will want a tracker. I've landed short a few times and was able to find it with the App. The farthest away that I tracked it was 1200 ft.

I have 2 batteries and never use more then 1, getting 20 minutes out of a flight is a long time, for me at least

I only have 6 batterys and 4 for my x star total 10

maybe we need to start a thread on how many batteries do you ready need?
I have 3 for my P3a and 4 for my P2v+(I'm not counting the extra batteries for the long trips for the P2v+) just the stock batteries.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers