Galaxy Tab S2 8.0" or Galaxy Tab S 8.4"

You're calling us fanboy's but yet you have an iPhone 6, I don't get it

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Per Samsung site, the 0H2 is the latest for my Tab S2
The Samsung "site" itself is always behind. I'm very familiar with Samsung.
I do Samsung rom development..
I have owned a Galaxy S, S2, S3, S4, Note 3, Note 4, Tab 4, Tab S 8.4, and now Tab S2 8.0. The only way to find out the latest and be not behind is to use smartswitch, or go to Sammobile. However Sammobile can be confusing for the tablets. You have to know not only the model number but also the regional product code.

Just fire up smartswitch and see what it says. You have nothing to lose. :)
Trust me!

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

From Smart Switch:

upload_2016-3-6_10-16-56.png

If I read this correctly, it seems like I have the latest firmware on my Tab S2. I did also make backups of my Tab S2 and my Note 5 (can never hurt to have a hard backup instead of just Google cloud).

I have both now.. my daughter has a Tab S 8.4 and I bought a Tab S 8.0 to test...
I can say the DJi App runs better (Live FPV feed) on the S2. I personally was really hoping for the Tab S to work better but the S2 just does.
Not sure exactly why the app runs better but there are several factors to consider that might be why...

For one the clock speeds of the cores are identical however the chips are not..
The Tab S2 has a 64-bit processor the Tab S has a 32bit Processor.
The Tab S2's processor is 20nm down from 28nm on the Tab S.
The Tab S2 has 5.1.1.
The Processor is newer...
The GPU also is smaller down to 14 nm.

Some might be deterred of the Tab S2 by the smaller battery...
However with the addition of the 64-bit processor and the lower die on both the CPU and the GPU the device would consume less energy at the same clocks.
Because of this there was no need for the same size battery to achieve the same battery life as the Tab S 8.4. I assume Sammy would rather have a lighter thinner device then a longer battery life then its predecessor.

I have now tried an iPad mini 4, a Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Galaxy Tab S2 8.0, and an nVidia Shield K1.
All devices work well in the sense that they do not deliver an experience that would put your bird in any comprising situations like some low end tablets might.

They all seem to have their pros and cons...

The iPad mini 4 is solid and delivers the best performance of the bunch. However the lack of SuperAMOLED screen does make the response time slightly slower and the colors not as vibrant.

The Galaxy Tab S 8.4 is great but the FPV gets choppy a lot and over all doesn't seem as smooth.
The only difference in the display of the Tab S vs the S2 is the display is 16:9 on the Tab S and 4:3 on the Tab S2. 4:3 is the same ratio as the iPad.
I also notice that the Tab S 8.4 seems to get warmer it seems. It should also be noted that currently the Tab S2 is on sale for $299 and if you can find the Tab S 8.4 still it still being sold for $399.

The Tab S2 8.0 over all is nice. I am not sure if I am digging the 4:3 but for the DJi app it doesnt matter. It only really matters with Netflix and other wide screen videos as it will be slightly smaller.
However the over all performance seems great. I did not see any of the choppiness I experienced on the Tab S. However with that said it feels the iPad mini 4 was still smoother.
Over all for $299 I would say that the Tab S2 is a good balance of price, performance, and screen quality.

The nVidia Shield K1 is a good one as it is powerful. I did not see the "blow every tablet out of the water" performance that has been stated. It seemed like it was right on par with the Tab S2.
The one thing I did not like about the Shield was the screen. When I compared the colors and brightness to the Samsung's or to the the iPad, I felt they were much better and worth the extra money.
Another thing I did not like were the embedded magnets for the Shield case, some thing about magnets in my P3P case and near my R/C doesn't Jive with me.
Perhaps I'm overly protective... Yes you can remove them but I don't like the idea of ripping a device apart that I just bought to remove things.
For the Price of $199 you really cant beat it. If I had a limited budget and needed to save as much as I could I would definitely select the Shield K1.

I hope this helps someone! :p
Hi.. I'm going to purchase either Tab S2 or Tab S. I really want to have a 16:9 tablet. But you mentioned about the performance issues. Is it too obvious compared to S2? I'm going to root it and install custom rom too.

Hello all...
I just got a P3P was wondering if I could get some feedback from some Android owners...
More specifically people with the Tab S2 8.0" and the Tab S 8.4".
I am open to suggestions of other models but those two at the moment are my main focus.
My daughter has a S 8.4 and I am going to test it tomorrow.
Obviously looking for one that has the lowest lag...
But also overheating, and battery life are also important as well.

Thanks in advance!

Nexus 7 (2013) works very well. $109 for a perfect refurbished unit on Amazon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31