Gains

Reaction score
Has anyone adjusted the gains in the Phantom Assistant to tame your aircraft? As I have added options and the A/C gained weight, it is getting more "squirrely" in a breeze. The camera gimbal is faster and you can't see it in the videos, but a small breeze sends the Phantom dancing to stay on point. So, would lower gains smooth out the Phantom, even if it adds to slower response? How much?

Steve,

The general rule when it comes to a/c gains, as I confirmed from CP Helis is, too much gain and you get oscillation once you return the axis input to a bi-polar zero (stick center), and too little gain will cause the axis to 'hunt' near the same zero position.

I believe that's what DJI is saying as well here:

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... ot_Setting

You decide. ;)

Cheers!

I have not tried adjusting the gains, but these sound like the "P" gain in PID process control.

This affects how quickly the input changes to meet the desired setpoint (P= proportional), so the input varies less as it gets close to the setpoint.

If you set the gain to high, it quickly overshoots the setpoint and then undershoots and overshoots until the ripple settles down. This is hunting (oscilation) about the setpoint.

If you set the gain too low, it will take ages to get where you want it to, so will be sluggish to respond - ultimately if the gain is too low it will never reach the setpoint.

I have played with the gain settings a little.
I've learnt that firmware upgrades have different default settings. Therefore you must default the gains after each update.

The issue I see is that DJI has not differentiated the default settings from the old vs new motors/esc's.
My phantom 2 non vision Version 2 (new motors) H33D/Gopro stabilizes video better than my Phantom vision Plus (non-upgrade, old motors) with same H33D gopro setup. Both have the same gain settings/dampeners and similar in weight. The only difference is the motors and ESC's.

You could just try lowering each gain by 10% and fly it. 10% will not make a huge difference but you should be able to see it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair