Gain settings for smooth video

Reaction score
I am primarily using the phantom for video and need to de-tune it slightly. I am running it in naza mode with ATT mode. Many of my videos when played back feel very sickly when i am rotating the vision and need to slow this down. So to get optimized smooth video what do you set your gains to for the control in the assistant software?

Thanks
Dangermouse

dangermouse said:
I am primarily using the phantom for video and need to de-tune it slightly. I am running it in naza mode with ATT mode. Many of my videos when played back feel very sickly when i am rotating the vision and need to slow this down. So to get optimized smooth video what do you set your gains to for the control in the assistant software?

Thanks
Dangermouse

I reckon it's going to be a matter of personal preference. I want to knock my yaw down a bit too but haven't had the weather to do it yet. My plan is to drop the gain by 10%, test fly, drop 10% again and repeat until I hit a spot that suits my flying/filming style. Given the requirement to plug in each time to change it then it's going to be a case of bring the laptop to the flying field I think... I don't recall anyone posting any example settings for the Vision.

To be honest yawing the Phantom never looks that good due to the fish eye effect. Its the same for both cameras, Gopro or Vision. The same goes for tilting the camera, as you tilt the fisheye effect looks awful and it matters not how smooth you do either as the effect is the same. I realise this is a personal opinion and others may be happy with it but I am going to minimise such shots and eliminate all tilting shots. Far better to tilt to frame and then cut that out in the final edit.

I do have the same opinion about the speed of the yaw movement - would be great to reduce it, also waiting for the weather to come down a bit (too much wind at present).

One question though - to everyone having a problem with the fisheye effect - why don't you reduce the angle of the camera in the settings? I've found out that the narrow angle does look good and is much better suited for slow motion work on programs such as slowmoUI - if you take shots with the wide angle the frames extrapolated by the software are always messed up whereas with a narrow angle they are much better.

Just a thought ;-)

You can do that and I often do however you can then lose some picture quality with the Gopro. Try holding the left stick as close as you can to the Tx case and then you may get finer control. I find that I can turn the Phantom as slow as I want with the stock settings however I have been flying for years so I am used to it.

AndySwe said:
Or cut and put a pair of straws from i.e McDonalds ontop of your sticks !

So now we're using Happy Meals to fix stuff?

Sorry ... but I don't understand this ... can you 'splain a bit, please? :)

GneeChee said:
AndySwe said:
Or cut and put a pair of straws from i.e McDonalds ontop of your sticks !

So now we're using Happy Meals to fix stuff?

Sorry ... but I don't understand this ... can you 'splain a bit, please? :)

Extending the sticks making them taller was atleast for me good.
I hold higher up now and get a better controll of fine movment on my sticks.
Guess its very individual , some people prefer to hold as far down the sticks as possible.
Some yaw like Russel Brown showed in his video while yawing and taking panoramas .

Interesting ... I guess I never would have thought about that - I've been holding the sticks at the base, but maybe I'll give your method a shot ... thanks!

Shrimpfarmer said:
To be honest yawing the Phantom never looks that good due to the fish eye effect. Its the same for both cameras, Gopro or Vision. The same goes for tilting the camera, as you tilt the fisheye effect looks awful and it matters not how smooth you do either as the effect is the same. I realise this is a personal opinion and others may be happy with it but I am going to minimise such shots and eliminate all tilting shots. Far better to tilt to frame and then cut that out in the final edit.

I agree with the tilt, it creates a "bullseye glass" effect for the duration. One thing I found with the Rotorpixel gimbal was that the default "centre" lined up the horizon beautifully in mid-frame, minimising the fisheye look (as far as the brain's concerned, anyway). It seemed to do the trick on a yaw as well - you only notice it if you actively look at the edge of the frame. Either keep big straight lines like horizons in the middle of the frame, or don't have them in view at all! :)

Pull_Up said:
One thing I found with the Rotorpixel gimbal was that the default "centre" lined up the horizon beautifully in mid-frame, minimising the fisheye look (as far as the brain's concerned, anyway). It seemed to do the trick on a yaw as well - you only notice it if you actively look at the edge of the frame. Either keep big straight lines like horizons in the middle of the frame, or don't have them in view at all! :)

Its the same with the Gopro, Looks great when the camera is looking straight ahead. When tilted its best to exclude the horizon unless you are shoot in narrow field of view when you can get away with it.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Pull_Up said:
One thing I found with the Rotorpixel gimbal was that the default "centre" lined up the horizon beautifully in mid-frame, minimising the fisheye look (as far as the brain's concerned, anyway). It seemed to do the trick on a yaw as well - you only notice it if you actively look at the edge of the frame. Either keep big straight lines like horizons in the middle of the frame, or don't have them in view at all! :)

Its the same with the Gopro, Looks great when the camera is looking straight ahead. When tilted its best to exclude the horizon unless you are shoot in narrow field of view when you can get away with it.

Yes, I'm in the "avoid" school I think. It's a reason why I haven't done the 7th channel hack and put the slider on. I just can't see any time when I want to tilt the camera when recording as the effect is a little vertiginous, and if that's the case then using the app tilt to line up between shots whilst the aircraft hovers is fine for me.

Pull_Up said:
Shrimpfarmer said:
Pull_Up said:

Yes, I'm in the "avoid" school I think. It's a reason why I haven't done the 7th channel hack and put the slider on. I just can't see any time when I want to tilt the camera when recording as the effect is a little vertiginous, and if that's the case then using the app tilt to line up between shots whilst the aircraft hovers is fine for me.

The 7th ch tilt works wonders for stills when you are zipping around a stationary object and don't want to take your hands off the controls to reframe the shot. I've noticed the tighter I screwed the screw it makes the 7ch lever more precise. Note, you don't want to overtighten but it should be snug and the lever needs to have a good amount of resistance.

Its also possible to change the height of the sticks. ;)
1djitx.jpg

2djitx.jpg

[/quote]

I reckon it's going to be a matter of personal preference. I want to knock my yaw down a bit too but haven't had the weather to do it yet. My plan is to drop the gain by 10%, test fly, drop 10% again and repeat until I hit a spot that suits my flying/filming style. Given the requirement to plug in each time to change it then it's going to be a case of bring the laptop to the flying field I think... I don't recall anyone posting any example settings for the Vision.[/quote]

pull up when your talking about changing the gain is assit.
are you talking about under the
basic icon
gain tab
basic gain yaw 120% change

or
view tab
basic yaw 120%

and when you get a amount set that slows the yaw to a slower level
will you please post a screen shoot of settings from assit

;) :D

you the man

You can also control the speed of the gimbal tilt. It is in DJI Phantom 2 Assistant under Advanced / Gimbal. X1 defaults to 100 but if you put it down to 1 or 2 it will be a lot slower.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.