gain adjusment for vision props on FC40???

Reaction score
I had wanted to try the vision props on my FC40 and know its suggested the gains may need to be adjusted. But I cant seem to find any thing other them "people saying to adjusting the gains" with out any elaboration on it. Which gains? and Do you increase them? decrease them or what?

Ive also seen others say they didnt need to adjust theres and it flew fine. tho that dont seem to be the case in my case. Not only can i not take off at all with the stock default gain settings I tried to adjust them down some. But no matter were I have them if I try to do a hand launch not only does my fc40 not want to hover right it also lists heavy to one side. Which Really seems weird its like one side is getting much more lift then the other. or like its got a bunch of weight on its right side even tho it don't.

One of the props is installed in the wrong position or is backwards.
There the kind with the nuts already in them so not any other way they can go on. But i did notice on of them seemed to be off on the angle it sits at and the tips didnt line up with the tips of the others. At first I looked like it was the prop that was crooked but I think it was actually the arm and the motor that is whats actually crooked.

Turns out the arm was not all that crooked tho it was a tiny bit off. But when I tried switching the prop to the other side to see it if was mostly the prop I noticed it was not screwed on all the way and was hard to screw down any more so I took it off and there was a pcs of plastic stuck inside the bottom of the hole in the nut part. Took the pcs out and then it screwed on right and is now down all the way and sits flush with the top of the motor and is sitting right now. So that should be one stone down on being able to adjust my gains. Now that it should hover level.

My FC40 with gimble, GoPro, P2 props and 4000 mah flies fine with no default gain settings.

I bumped them up a bit and was able to get it to hover better but i would still drop with out having to keep giving it a bit of throttle to correct the height. raised them some more and then had the opposite effect and would try to raise. But I still had a hard time taking off with out a tip over and its been while sence I have had that happen but was able to pull back on my right stick a tiny bit right when I took off and was able to take off from the ground. and it seemed a bit too responsive to any of the controls when flying. Except for when letting off the sicks it didn't seem to break as fast as it seemed to off with the regular props and gain setting. But Ill try them back at the defaults again when my battery's recharge. being I never did reset them back after getting the level flight thing fixed.

To any one that flys the 9 inch vision props on the default gains is that also with the stock 2200Mah battery's? is any one flying the 9inch props on the default gains flying a 2700mah battery also?

BTW so far even with the gains not all right It seemed to fly a lot faster. and climbed fast as hell to. It seemed so fast I kept thinking I was in atti mode when I was in gps. Even flying in to the wind it was going pretty fast.

ok now on the defaults it did seem to fly really good in gps mode but in atti mode It would descend while I was flying laps and esp if I was going fast it would drop pretty low. I was flying from about the home point to about 1000 feet away and starting out at almost 400 feet up by the end of the lap it was just a bit over 120 feet. I would raise it back up and make a run back towards my self and it would again be at about 130 feet or so. Ive noticed this before with the old props but it never seemed that big of a drop. I could usually to a few laps before I was so low that Id have to bring her back up again..

Some thing else It seems to do. is when descending it seems to wobble from side to side as its descending straight down. If I let off the stick it levels out then if I go to drop it down it starts wobbling again. It used to only do that once in while with the old props. and not so noticable as it was tonight. Tho it was a bit windy and I down know if thats some thing wind can do as its trying to fight the wind or not.

I don't need to adjust the gains either, the bird flyes just fine. With gimbal, with no gimbal, with a fixed mount, with or without a camera.

However, here are the gain settings for Phanton Vision that I found on another forum:
Basic gains all = 130%
Attitude gains all = 200%

Try and see what happens.

I'm also using default settings on Vision 2 props and it flies ok. Seems a little more 'unstable' in as much as it seems to over compensate then have to correct but its certainly not so bad that I'm worried about it at all.

An explanation of gains: the first four settings - pitch/roll/yaw/vertical = how aircraft reacts to conditions (wind, etc) The next two (Atti gains) = how aircraft reacts to stick inputs. Hope this helps. More -> http://www.dji.com/info/spotlight/what- ... -gain-mean

an explanation of gains: the first four settings - pitch/roll/yaw/vertical = how aircraft reacts to conditions (wind, etc) The next two (Atti gains) = how aircraft reacts to stick inputs. Hope this helps. More -> http://www.dji.com/info/spotlight/what- ... -gain-mean

Thanks.

So you can still setup the basic Gain of Pitch, Roll, Yaw and Vertical manually according to your multi rotor to have a wonderful fly experience.
lol love the way they word this. Maybe After a tiny bit of tweaking. I to get wonderful fly experience. lol lol

The Phantom FAQs has a similar symptom to yours:

The aircraft does not take off or turns over when pushing the throttle stick.
1. The propeller assembly is not correct. Check that the rotation of the propellers and motors are matched.
2. Sensor error is too big, the system will not work. Please connect the assistant software, enter the “Tools” – > IMU calibration, watch the “IMU calibration” videos, carry out basic calibration or advanced calibration.

Not sure if you've tried recalibrating the IMU?

I think it may need a IMU calibration because its showing some symtoms that the compass is off. when hovering and then yawing any instead of just pivoting while staying in place it actually moves position in an arch.

Tho over all it was flying much better today. except for when trying to land it was still doing the rocking from side to side thing that it was doing last night. But today it almost got in to some kind of compensation loop and almost crashed. I was bringing it down and all was fine till I was about 150 feet left to go and coming down pretty fast. it started to rock as it was coming down. Then I let off the stick to try and give it a second to level its self out and then it started started doing it like crazy and every time it went side ways it would drop and at the same time try to correct its self but it was over compensating and it would rock to the other side at about 45 degrees each time and it was almost imposable to control. it keep rocking faster and faster and dropping faster and faster and all I could think of doing was to hit the throttle and try to bring her back up. and even that it took about 10 seconds with the stick all the way up and the motors going full power before she finally was able to climb out of it. With only about 15-20 feet to spare before she would of been crashing in to pavement. Needless to say I almost had to go change my shorts.

I'm starting to wonder if the death wobble she keeps trying to go in to while descending is some thing else other then the gains.
Even on the default settings if I try to come down to fast it does it and if I let it try to land its self it does it every time.

raising the gains from the defaults didnt seem to help all that much tho if I dropped them from the default settings it made it much worse. Which has me stumped being it would seem if lowering from the default gains makes it worse that raising them would stop the out of control *death wobble (* death wobble thats what I am calling it. )

Im starting to think it may even just be the props them selves I also notice that even tho they did seem to increase my top speed in gps mode and it seemed to be going fast in atti mode. It turns out that after seeing the flytrax data that my top speed is not as good as I can get with the stock props. at least I have been able to get is about 42mph on these new ones even with the wind to its back. and if not windy only getting in the 30's mph area. Compared to the mid to high 50mph zone on the stock ones in atti mode. my personal best was almost 57mph and one of the main reasons I wanted to try vision pros was to see if I could gain some more speed. and move my self up in the ranks on the flytrax bolt challenge. I don't like settling for 20th place. and there is only about a week left to try and get to the top. lol lol i need more speed dammit! :) I also notice there is some one else moving near my top speed spot for all the FC40s over all top speed and the distance spot to. and so i need to to make that margin a lil bit bigger.

J.James said:
Im starting to think it may even just be the props them selves...

From what others have said and from what I have read, I would tend to agree.

Watch the props as they spin. There is BARELY any space between them. I am led to believe that they increase the death wobble chance due to the lack of space between them. As in, less air can move freely between them, so you catch more dirty air.

Thats my laymen way of explaining it

ya there is not much clearance between each tip of the props.

Just pushed the gains on the pitch and roll and vertical up to 150% and it was descending much better and only tiny bit of wobble when comeing down real fast but it would stop if i let go of the stick. But I'm still not liking these props Tho they climb real fast and they maneuver a lil better then the stock props I'm just not getting the same top speeds i was getting.

Just did a test flight no camera and frame and even flew a 2200 battery to try and see if cutting some weight would get me any more speed and it still only hit 46mph

While looking for some thing else last night i ended up seeing two videos of others having the death wobble out of control descents after switching to the the 9 inch props and not changing the gains. . That were doing exactly the same thing as nine was tho in one it was sad to see the guys phantom crash and bust on the pavement when he could not pull out of it at all.

I have 9" props and have noticed no handling problems. I have not made any changes in the NAZA software. I have 8" prop guards so I switch between the 9" and 8" props depending where I fly, a treed area or not.

out of curiosity which kind of 9 inch props do you use? are they the 9443 Self Carbon Fibers or some other?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik