Future owner -Looking for advice

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm about to order my P2V and wanted to check in to see if you could pass along any advice for newbies? I have some experience in quadcopters, specifically with the AR Drone 2.0

Pretty scary what I have read regarding fly aways and such. Do you recommend a GPS tracking device? if so do you have a specific device you can recommend? Should I buy a case?

Anything helps at this point!

amrflyingdude said:
Hello everyone,

I'm about to order my P2V and wanted to check in to see if you could pass along any advice for newbies? I have some experience in quadcopters, specifically with the AR Drone 2.0

Pretty scary what I have read regarding fly aways and such. Do you recommend a GPS tracking device? if so do you have a specific device you can recommend? Should I buy a case?

I came from flying the Parrot AR Drone 2.0 and I must say the Phantom 2 Vision has been a MUCH better flying experience. SO Much easier to control and SO much more reliable to fly.. I swear I have spent more time repairing my AR Drones than flying them, and thus far I've been on over half a dozen long range or high altitude flights with the Vision and have not had a single glitch or crash thus far (knock on wood).

Though given the "fly away" concerns, which I honestly believe to be the exception than the rule, to be on the "safe" side it may be a good idea using a cellular capable GPS tracker. Though the cell tracking services can be a bit pricey.

Make sure before you fly for the first time to make sure firmware on the Phantom and Controller are up to date. And you properly calibrate the compass in an open field clear of wires or other metals before your first flight. This wont need to be done again unless you relocate to a different part of the globe.

next precaution to take would be in the event of a flyaway keep the Wifi range extender pointing directly towards the Phantom for best possible signal so it maintains a GPS track of where it is so you can easily find it. You may also want to consider doing an antenna mod on the WiFi repeater to better than double the range.

And last tip, make sure you have your name and phone number printed somewhere on the Phantom. I used a regular label maker for mine, it looks perfect on the Phantom 2 Vision and I have it stuck on the bottom of the body just below where the battery plugs in.

Best of luck whatever you decide and happy flying.

amrflyingdude said:

My advice is to buy a Phantom 2 and replace RC with a Futuba (+3km range). Can add a DragonLink for more security and more range. All I found on net as fly aways was with stock RC. None with Futuba RC.

I would get a case - but it doesn't necessarily have to be an expensive one. I find it convenient to have everything I need kept in a case ready to be grabbed and put in the car to go to a flying site. If you don't have a dedicated place you can keep your Vision then a case that fits the whole lot is a great (and safe) storage solution. It's also great to use as a launch pad if the ground is dirty/dusty. I use the Duratool one, more expensive cases are available too with custom fit foam inserts. Pays yer money, takes yer choice!

BenDronePilot said:
amrflyingdude said:
Hello everyone,

I came from flying the Parrot AR Drone 2.0 and I must say the Phantom 2 Vision has been a MUCH better flying experience. SO Much easier to control and SO much more reliable to fly.. I swear I have spent more time repairing my AR Drones than flying them, and thus far I've been on over half a dozen long range or high altitude flights with the Vision and have not had a single glitch or crash thus far (knock on wood).

Though given the "fly away" concerns, which I honestly believe to be the exception than the rule, to be on the "safe" side it may be a good idea using a cellular capable GPS tracker. Though the cell tracking services can be a bit pricey.

Make sure before you fly for the first time to make sure firmware on the Phantom and Controller are up to date. And you properly calibrate the compass in an open field clear of wires or other metals before your first flight. This wont need to be done again unless you relocate to a different part of the globe.

next precaution to take would be in the event of a flyaway keep the Wifi range extender pointing directly towards the Phantom for best possible signal so it maintains a GPS track of where it is so you can easily find it. You may also want to consider doing an antenna mod on the WiFi repeater to better than double the range.

And last tip, make sure you have your name and phone number printed somewhere on the Phantom. I used a regular label maker for mine, it looks perfect on the Phantom 2 Vision and I have it stuck on the bottom of the body just below where the battery plugs in.

Best of luck whatever you decide and happy flying.

Thanks a lot Ben! very helpful indeed!

Do you know what specific GPS device would be good for me to buy?

Pull_Up said:
I would get a case - but it doesn't necessarily have to be an expensive one. I find it convenient to have everything I need kept in a case ready to be grabbed and put in the car to go to a flying site. If you don't have a dedicated place you can keep your Vision then a case that fits the whole lot is a great (and safe) storage solution. It's also great to use as a launch pad if the ground is dirty/dusty. I use the Duratool one, more expensive cases are available too with custom fit foam inserts. Pays yer money, takes yer choice!

Thanks Pull_Up!

I was looking in to the Duratool cases just now. What model do you recommend?

The one I have is Duratool part number D00468. It's 515mm x 415mm x 225mm. You won't get the Vision in it with props attached (but that's a 10 second job, so no problem) but I fit everything in there including 2 batteries, charger, 2 sets of props, my anemometer and a hex driver, screwdriver, etc. My entire Vision kit is therefore ready to grab and go. For the price, and with a bit of judicious foam carving, it's hard to beat. Sturdy and waterproof, too.

Pull_Up said:

I agree wholeheartedly with pull_up. Unfortunately, many cases come with the foam in a block that requires cutting to fit whatever you're putting in it. I am horrible at cutting foam(bought a Pelican case for my air rifle. Cut the foam myself... it wasn't pretty.. :cry: ), so although it's a bit pricey, I ordered this from B&H, although it is on back order for a couple of weeks. Worth the wait though, imho. Good luck and Happy flying! :D

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

Gizmo3000 said:
amrflyingdude said:
I was looking in to the Duratool cases just now. What model do you recommend?

This is the most popular duratools case
works well with stock Phantoms (an Phantom Visions I presume), but if you plan to add extensions to your landing gear or whatnot, it won't fit.

http://www.amazon.com/Duratool-MJ-139-2 ... 167&sr=1-1

I have that case. It does the job. The only downside IMHO is I wish it were a few inches wider, and I'm not a big fan of pull and pluck foam... On the other hand, the cases that come custom cut for the PV are expensive and they're custom cut to someone else's specifications and proclivities...

-slinger

I am such a novice with RC that I did not even know that
some folks want to pack their proclivities in the case! :eek:
Can some of you really do that? :lol:

Here is what happened to my Phantom Vision after more than 20 flights with no issues:

All firmware up to date, everything was working fine, and i have never crash landed or even got close to anything like that, i also own the previous phantom with the go pro. I have been flying rc aircraft for almost 10 years now anyway, i took off with 10 sattelites and i was flying around my house , which is in the countryside, no interference of any sort, at 50 ft, it stopped climbing and started descending in an uncontrollable manner, i tried to add power , did not work, so i wanted to land it as good as i can, and it hit concrete hard. Metal surrounding the camera is scratched, the hull has some scratches too, i hate when that happens, i like to keep my aircraft clean and good looking so i am thinking of selling this thing on ebay or something, because i just hate when something this expensive gets out of control and crash lands so i guess my advice would be to be carefull and i don't know maybe make a lot of money and be able to replace your toys when they fail. I will go back to flying rc airplanes now.

garygid said:

That's why I need a wider case... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Here's my 2 cents.

1. Buy from a dealer close to you, if possible. NOT from DJI Direct. You will get NO support from DJI direct.
2. Make sure you're familiar with the thing before you go out and launch it at the world. ;-) 5 minutes to read through the manual twice will make all the difference in the world.
3. DON'T forget to calibrate the compass before you fly. .
4. Have fun. The thing's a blast.

(I SO look forward to being able to fly more than 150' away though! :x )

Elginet said:
Here's my 2 cents.

1. Buy from a dealer close to you, if possible. NOT from DJI Direct. You will get NO support from DJI direct.
2. Make sure you're familiar with the thing before you go out and launch it at the world. ;-) 5 minutes to read through the manual twice will make all the difference in the world.
3. DON'T forget to calibrate the compass before you fly. .
4. Have fun. The thing's a blast.

(I SO look forward to being able to fly more than 150' away though! :x )

Thanks for the advice!

You make a great point. BUYING FROM A LOCL DEALER, that is my plan, pay more due to taxes but get support if needed. I do have the money now but scratching my head and giving it a second thought. I understand that there will always be bugs, but seems like the flyways are scary and pretty much not fixed. I will wait a week or 2 and pick one up form one of the loca stores.

WISH ME LUCK!

garygid said:

LOL! :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member