Futuba

Reaction score
okay guys...fairly new pilot here...question...

Have a V1.1.1. Using stock DJI TX controller. HOW and WOULD I benefit using a Futuba controller? If so, which model and why?

I see a lot of you veterans swear by them. Im just curious of the REAL....yes....REAL Benefits..

Thanks in Advance!

Offers more options and ability- farther and more secure range, and less chance of interference. Utilizing a receiver with more channels offers accessories if you wish. They look cooler. They have lots of buttons and knobs and switches... people think you are like a pro or something :ugeek:

Hiway said:
Offers more options and ability- farther and more secure range, and less chance of interference. Utilizing a receiver with more channels offers accessories if you wish. They look cooler. They have lots of buttons and knobs and switches... people think you are like a pro or something :ugeek:

lol...okay...secure range is the only pro I pick up out of this...I am almost 50, so I dont need to look cool...lol

not sure I need more knobs and switches either...accessories? like what?

Hey I am 67 and want that "cool" look. Also like spending my children's inheritance.
Ken

Khudson7 said:
Hey I am 67 and want that "cool" look. Also like spending my children's inheritance.
Ken

i HEAR THAT KEN!...

STILL NOT GETTING ANSWERS WITH REGARD TO THESE GUYS USING 1000 DOLLAR CONTROLLERS...

OTHER THAN LOOKING KOOL, I THINK ITS A BUST!

Caps lock... :mrgreen:

I use a Futaba 8FGS with my Phantom 2. My reason is , I fly planes and other craft, one controller controls them all.

Instead of carrying the Phantom controller, the 8fg, and I used to have some spektrum, once I saw the Phantom could bind to the Futaba, I was like... OOOoooo... sold my spektrum and receivers, and now just have the 8FGS on the feild.

With using a Futaba receiver in the phantom, (I don't right now, but could_) I could control additional lights, or other switchable things... like a Candy drop for fun flys at our field, or similar.

Thanks guys...I have the answer I was looking for...

basically, its similar to the 65 year old man who buys a corvette to drive around the local college..

got it! :roll:

Whiteram said:

basically, its similar to the 65 year old man who buys a corvette to drive around the local college..

There's a lot more potential benefit than stroking one's own ego :D

However, if you haven't found a need before asking the question, you may not need to mess with it. It might be worth your while if:

- You want to add any accessories that may need a switched channel to control (e.g. lights, multiple cameras/video feeds, etc).

- You want to control the gimbal tilt with a proper knob or slider instead of the little lever on the back of the Phantom controller

- You want to get creative with the control/switch configuration on the transmitter.

- You want to be able to use switches to activate manual mode and RTH both (Phantom controller makes you choose one or the other before flight).

- You want to tweak your control with things like variable input rates

- You will or may add more RC aircraft in the future that you want to use just one controller for

- You want a built-in timer that can be started/stopped various ways

- You want to add the ability to see telemetry data independent of or in addition to the NAZA's flight data. Some aftermarket controllers (Futaba and others) allow you add sensors to read things such as battery level, height/speed/distance, exact GPS coordinates, etc.

If none of those things appeal to you, skip it.

Yeah... ^ what he said.

(...and I am 50 and use a Futaba- the wife has the sports car (T-bird) and I roll with my knees to the breeze on 2 wheels of thunderous mystique and tradition- Corvette drivers wish they had the guts to be me)

Whiteram said:

Sure... you have girls at your airfeild??? Where's that? I've got a 72 Firebird... :lol:

The Phantom Tx does make you look like you're flying a toy..

But there's plenty of other great reasons to upgrade to a Futaba.

some of the things I love about them
-a real knob on front for tilting the gimbal
-I set a switch so that my gimbal will automatically tilt down 90 degrees and back up at my command.
-TIMERS so that I can hear an audible beep telling me when it's time to head back and land. (you can't see the red light flashing while in FPV or when the Phantom is far out)
-a digital readout showing Tx battery level and many other things
-a trim controls
- D/R Expos, so I can make all my controls less sensitive for smoother flying!
- switches so that I can mix channels , as well as set up my Phantom so I can fly in GPS/ATTI/Failsafe, but still enable Manaul if I flip a switch.
- and lastly, they look way, way ,way more professional!! :D

Whiteram said:

Well, sort of. I don't think the college girls will look at you and think "what's that pathetic Rufus up to?"

Guess its safe to say I should see one up close and personal as to see any potential benefit.

72 firebird? really ...really? bwahahaaaa!

Blue, white leather interior, 555, does about 1mile to the gallon, sets off all the car alarms in the neighborhood ... had it since I was 20... or 18... first car. I can fit my hands in the engine to fix it, unlike my Civic... I get my Asian friends to help swap out bulbs during BBQs. fun times... lol...

I have a Futaba 18MZ. I would LOVE to convert my Phantom 2 Vision over to it. The toyish transmitter annoys me to no end. The one potential issue I can see is not being able to center the throttle stick automatically. I am also hoping that Futaba is going to include Quad programming in future updates. They have it in the new 10J, so I see no reason they cannot include it in an update for the 8FG, 14SG, and 18MZ. The quad programming at least allows you to set a beep to tell you when the left stick is centered.

It would also be nice to be able to use the Futaba telemetry stuff in addition to what DJI offers. GPS with logging to be able to see where you were would be cool.

In full disclosure I am a member of Team Futaba and have been flying for the Team for about 9 years now. But I flew Futaba for a long time before that and wold still fly it even if they took my T-shirt away from me!!

SilentAV8R said:
I have a Futaba 18MZ. I would LOVE to convert my Phantom 2 Vision over to it. The toyish transmitter annoys me to no end. The one potential issue I can see is not being able to center the throttle stick automatically.

I know that with some Futaba models (I would assume all, but I'm not sure), you can self-center the throttle stick by adding a specific lever and spring to the gimbal...does that not work on the 18MZ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4