Futaba T8J Range w/lipo battery for Phantom

Reaction score
(Stock setup with issued Phantom battery, gopro Hero3, light winds and stock props)

I've read a lot of post about increased range going with the Futaba T8J. The upgrade was thanks to the instructions of ThatHPI Guy at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRUDKZGhwuU

I even changed out the tx battery per http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... XekE#t=64s

I want to know what range I should expect. Anyone have an idea? Everyone thing I see on the internet is general terms. Stock system range is 300 meters. But what range can I expect if I just fly straight away from my home point on a recon mission.

What would my range in meters be???

300 meter is straight line of sight. it will be significantly less with more obstacles between you and the phantom - for stock stuff.

I don't think anyone has put down a max range is because it is an after market product, so the range will vary from craft to craft, and frankly i don't think anyone has really tried (although i think there is a video on youtube where a guy flew it 1.5km away before it crashed into the snow and he was using fpv gear).

any ways, I am planning on upgrading my tx/rx soon to reduce the chance of "fly away".

csimojo, did you also change out to a better receiver than the stock Phantom one?

Sac D said:
csimojo, did you also change out to a better receiver than the stock Phantom one?

Yes. I'm looking for a comfort zone. Would 1000 meters be reasonable as a max fly zone?

csimojo said:
Sac D said:

Yes. I'm looking for a comfort zone. Would 1000 meters be reasonable as a max fly zone?

I changed to the futaba a few months ago. I think a little less than a mile is prob realistic. That being the upper limit.
I find my issue is my range with my Fatsharks using their stock antennas. I am going to have to upgrade those antennas before I can even think about going 1/4 of a mile. And it has to be line of sight. I went around my house and the goggles started glitching bad on the other side.

I use the Futaba T8J also, and I use the Turnigy nano-tech 6.6v 2100mah batteries for the tx, they actually fit better than
the stock setup. Just remember to change the voltage setup in the radio.

Also remember to use Life settings when recharging the battery pack.

I almost forgot, when mounting the receiver in the Phantom, try to put a piece of foam or something under it, to keep it off of the leads for the esc's . You can't go too crazy, because the top shell fits pretty close.

I have an 8j coming in on Friday. Can't wait to set it up and get rid of the toy transmitter. Do you guys really think changing out the stock rx and using a different tx are possibly going to help the fly away situation? I haven't had any issues, but was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on why using a different rx/tx setup would fix this? I was thinking it was maybe more gps driven. I know that many have had it happen even when gps mode isn't operating, but I assume even though gps isn't flipped on it's still connected to the satellite system.

Do you guys really think changing out the stock rx and using a different tx are possibly going to help the fly away situation?

Can't say for sure, but definitely try to keep the receiver up off of the power leads for the esc's.

Another nice feature of your new radio is you can program a switch for failsafe, "return to home" without turning off the radio.
Turning off the radio will activate the failsafe too.
Did you get the T8J-H or T8J-A ? They can both be used for helicopters, or airplanes, but the switches are on opposite sides.
The reason I ask, is because you have to be aware of it when watching videos for programming on youtube. All the videos I've seen are shown using the T8J-H.

Oh, you can program the built in timers any way you like too ! very nice for letting you know how long you've been flying on your battery.
I set mine to activate when the throttle was above 15%, and reset via programmable switch of your choice.
great radio, everything is customizable. :)

Audaciter,

Thanks for the great information and helpful tips. Mine is a heli version so I will make sure to keep that in mind when setting up. Also I'll use a piece of foam tape between the rx and esc wires. I wasn't planning on picking up a radio at first but after coming from hobby grade radio's to using the barebones stock transmitter with the phantom, I just feel it's lacking so much. It flies great, but I miss customizing my setup and having things like timer built in. I went with the 8J due to ease of setup with the s-bus feature. I might come your way if you don't mind if I have any questions once I get it in and do the install.

I'm a total newbie to this, I had to learn the hard way, because mine is a T8J-A so my 3 position switches are on the right hand side of the radio.
I was watching youtube videos,and programming the radio, while I had the Phantom connected to the Naza Assistant.
Once you get the hang of it, it's all good.
Feel free to ask any question, I'm sure somebody will be able to help.

Audaciter said:
I'm a total newbie to this, I had to learn the hard way, because mine is a T8J-A so my 3 position switches are on the right hand side of the radio.
I was watching youtube videos,and programming the radio, while I had the Phantom connected to the Naza Assistant.
Once you get the hang of it, it's all good.
Feel free to ask any question, I'm sure somebody will be able to help.

I just bought and setup a T8J from the videos too. It works fine.
I too was scratching my head wondering why my 3 position switch was on the right and his was on the left. Mine says it is a T8J. It says no where about it being an -A. Must be a British vs American model. You know ....how the British drive on the wrong side of the road. :D

I just bought and setup a T8J from the videos too. It works fine.
I too was scratching my head wondering why my 3 position switch was on the right and his was on the left. Mine says it is a T8J. It says no where about it being an -A. Must be a British vs American model. You know ....how the British drive on the wrong side of the road. :D

The T8J-A defaults to airplane mode when started up, the T8J-H defaults to heli mode when started.
Aside from that, the 3 position switches are on the other side, and the throttle lever on the T8J-A has a ratchet feel to it.
I took my radio apart, and loosened the screw for the ratchet lever, so it wouldn't be so pronounced.

The instruction manual shows the differences between the two types of radio.
Both are capable of exactly the same thing, and can be programmed for heli's or airplanes.

Hi Audaciter,

Was wondering how to set the timer in the Futaba T8J... and also wanted to switch the joystick functions. Would you know how to do this? I wanted to have 2 modes of flight.. the original from DJI Phantom which I currently have and alternative mode. I would like to try flying with the left joystick => up down and pitch left right | right joystick => forward backward and turns left right. I find it awkward sometimes using the left joystick to turn and the right to go forward.

http://skycamera.ca/wp-content/uploads/ ... config.png

Thanks!

Michael

I have set Timer 1 to 5 mins so I know when I should start heading home and Timer 2 to 2 mins as a landing time. (Once the 1st timer goes off I start the second)

In menu 3/3 select Timer.
Under TMR1 -
T = 5.00, MODE = DN-STP, ON SW = SWA DOWN (Switch A then is your start and stop) RS SW = SWH DOWN (Switch H becomes the reset switch)
Under TMR2 -
T = 2.00, MODE = DN-STP, ON SW = SWF DOWN (Switch F starts and stops this timer), RS SW = SWF UP

Hope this helps
Michael

Thank you for the timer setup but it doesn't seem to work with my configuration ... the timer starts when I pull a switch on the top left.

I used this configuration instruction for the T8J for the DJI Phantom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T63T6T0WpgI

Do you how to switch the joysticks setup on T8J so the left banks left and right and the right turns?

Thanks!

Michael

skycamera said:
Thank you for the timer ino but it doesn't work with my configuration ... the timer starts when I pull a switch on the top left.

I used this configuration instruction for the T8J for the DJI Phantom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T63T6T0WpgI

Do you how to switch the joysticks setup on T8J so the left banks left and right and the right turns?

Thanks!

Michael

If I understand you correctly I think you are looking to turn your set into a Mode 4 (whereas it is in Mode 2 as per most of the western world).

To do this turn the T8J off. Press and hold + and - together and then turn it on.

You will see the TX Setting Menu and one of the options is 'Mode' - Change this to Mode 4.

BEFORE YOU DO THIS - I really suggest you open the manual here: http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/8j-manual.pdf and turn to page 91.

Gives you a really good bit of detail on what each mode does. Remember that for the Phantom these apply (assuming the Phantom is in front of you with the status LED facing you):

RUD = Yaw (pivot the Phantom on its central axis)
THR = Thrust/Engine speed
ELE = Fly the Phantom away from you/toward you
AIL = Fly the Phantom left to right

Hope that helps.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4