Futaba T8J and R2008SB Receiver - No LED - SOLVED

Reaction score
Great Forum guys.

Just got a new Futaba T8J and watched the Videos on how to install. When I connect the receiver to the SBUS of the NAVA, power up the Transmitter and then the Phantom so I can link the Receiver, the LED on the receiver never lights up at all. Does this mean I have a defective receiver?

Re: Futaba T8J and R2008SB Receiver - No LED

JTheed said:
Great Forum guys.

Just got a new Futaba T8J and watched the Videos on how to install. When I connect the receiver to the SBUS of the NAVA, power up the Transmitter and then the Phantom so I can link the Receiver, the LED on the receiver never lights up at all. Does this mean I have a defective receiver?

Does the Rx show that it's getting power?
(and you have Sbus selected in the NAZA?)

If you've followed all the steps in the online video, (and double checked to make sure you haven't overlooked anything), then I'd probably have to agree that the Rx might be defective. - but I'd say def go over everything just to be sure, making sure everything is plugged in properly.

Did you bind the receiver to the transmitter???

PF

I would imagine that the only way to tell if the receiver is getting power would be that the LED lights up and flashes because it is not bound to a Transmitter yet. I reconnected the stock receiver and it appears to work, so it must be getting power from the NAZA.
Following the Video(s), I removed the original receiver, unglued the wire that comes from the X2 on the NAZA and connected it to the R2008SB in the SBUS connection. The end of the wire is keyed, so it can only go on one way. I turned on the Futuba transmitter, then connected the battery to the Phantom. It powered up as expected but the LED on the R2008SB did not light up or flash at all. I went ahead and pressed the bind button, but it still did not flash or go solid, nothing.
Even though it wasn't in the Video, I went ahead and connected the USB Cable and started the NAZA assistant software. It showed that the NAZA was in PPM mode, so I switched it to DBUS. I powered down the Phantom, Exited the software, removed the USB Cable and then powered the Phantom back on. Still no LED light on the R2008SB.

I just got the Phantom a few days ago and have flown it about 10 times with the Transmitter that it comes with. I went ahead and ordered the Futaba as I wanted a better Transmitter. I got it from Amazon and it said it was a NEW Unit. I'm wondering if it is because anytime I have purchased anything that has an LCD screen on it, it came with a piece of Cellophane over the LCD screen to protect it. This unit did not have anything on it and the LCD screen has some scratches on it that I did not put there.

Frustrating to say the least. Anything I may have forgotten?

PhantomFan: That's what I was try to do, bind the Transmitter. But NO LED lights up on the receiver.

The fact that there's no light is definitely a sign that something is wrong there, as it should have either a red of green light.
-My T8j came with covering over the LCD, it's still on there in fact, so sadly, it sounds like you may have gotten a return or similar that might not have worked to begin with. :(

Hopefully you can figure a way to get a replacement, or a local hobby shop you can go to that can help you test out the Tx to make sure it's working as well.

Just an Update.

I found a local hobby shop about 30 minutes from my office and I went ahead and purchased another Futaba T8J system. When I opened this one, it does have the cellophane on top of he LCD screen where the first one did not, and when I attached the receiver, and powered up the Phantom, it lit up instantly.

Upon further inspection of the first unit which I bought from Amazon (It said that they were the seller), the F switch on the transmitter is frozen, will not move at all.

So, it definitely was not a NEW unit but more like one that was returned by someone because it was defective. Going to put the Phantom back together and calibrate the compass and give er a test flight. The NAVA system is all setup for the Futaba, that worked like a charm from the Video telling how to set it up. I'll let you know how the flight (night fight) went.

Cool. I look forward to your report. Did you install the self-centering throttle, or did it come with a self-centering throttle? Again, to consolidate equipment, I might just install a Futaba rx in the Phantom and sell the OEM DJI tx.. That way my V-tail ACRO quad (KK2.1 flight controller), Phantom, and Flamewheel F450 will all operate off of ONE Futaba Tx.

PF

The first flight using the Futaba Transmitter was perfect. All of the controls worked as expected. This first thing I did before flying, was to flip the GPS/ATTI switch 6 times to see if it would go into the Compass Calibrate mode and it did. Calibrated the compass and off we went. I also received the MAD-DOG 2700 mah batteries that I had ordered and although I did not check the time, I could tell that I flew longer than I had on the stock battery and I finished before the low battery warning came on. I was confident enough to fly it through the double doors leading into the patio and landed it on the pool table.

Phantomfan: The new Futaba did not come with the centered throttle but I do plan on adding that later. Combining your Phantom and ACRO Quad makes sense being that the Futaba can handle several different models.

glad you got it sorted out, that really sucks that you were sent a defective/used product.
But at least it was thru Amazon,.which I imagine has a solid return policy and such.

You might find it ok without the center-sprun throttle.

- the catch with a center sprung throttle is that you won't be able to quite use the timers based on throttle (where they only count up/down when the throttle is at 15% or higher for example).
and you'll have to remember to start your timers right at takeoff.

Gizmo: You'll have to explain about the Timers. I've only had the Phantom a couple of weeks and this is all new to me. I've read a lot but don't remember reading about any timers unless you are referring to the ones in the 4.02 NAVA update?

JTheed said:
Gizmo: You'll have to explain about the Timers. I've only had the Phantom a couple of weeks and this is all new to me. I've read a lot but don't remember reading about any timers unless you are referring to the ones in the 4.02 NAVA update?

see page 42 of the manual.
(I highly recommend downloading the pdf of the manual online from their site, easier to search thru and brush up on than the paper manual)

The Futaba T8j has 4 timers , two (the big ones) of which can be programmed to be triggered/run when the throttle is above a given percentage.

You put your throttle at the 0% position, set/reset the timer to the start at 0.
- and they won't start counting up or down UNTIL you move the throttle up (presumably when you start the motors and take off).
then you have a totally accurate timing of your flight (it beeps ever minute, and then beeps even more when it approaches a target end time.

For me, I have one timer time down from 5 minutes to 0, so I can land before my Phantom goes into battery failsafe.
and then I have 2nd time count UP from 0 . and beep at 6 minutes but will continue to keep counting up until I put the throttle at 0%.
Then when I leave my throttle at 0%, I can then glance at any time after my flight to see how long the flight was truly for.

If you have a center sprung throttle, you really have no way to use these timers ideally, as you'll have to remember to reset them JUST before takeoff, and glance down at them the moment you land - other wise when the throttle springs to 50%, it will let the timers run on.

the 3rd and 4th timer are really basic timers, used to time out how long you've been flying with a Model (MDL), and System
I just use the System timer to time out my TX batteries (just a little easier then going by the volts that are displayed.

Sure you can. Just assign them to a two position switch. I assigned my timer to switch "A". When my F450 shows the light sequence that says the GPS position has been recorded, I flip the switch. I count to 8 to be certain the GPS position is recorded, then start the motors and fly!

PF

Gizmo: Thank you for the info on the timers. I had no idea they existed. I have already downloaded the PDF as I didn't know if the Futaba would come with a printed manual.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj