Funny compass problem

Reaction score
I was taking the P4P out for a spin and I was having a hell of a time getting the compass to work. I went to a new place to look around so I put the bird on the ground in the parking lot and I immediately get a compass calibration error. I had just updated the firmware the night before and I'm alittle freaked as I've never had a problem with the compass or IMU before.

I pick it up and start the dance, fail...fail...success put it down...fail

WTF?

I pick it up again and I try once more but pay very close attention to the picture. I get it calibrated again. I start to put it down and it fails just before I set it down. I'm pissed thinking I have to downgrade. While I'm holding it and looking at the iPad it pops back ready to fly. I'm curious now and I go looking for the sensor screen. I get the compass sensor display up and it's green on both. I put it on my Jeep with its metal rollcage and it's yellow which is ok. I go to put it on the ground and it goes to yellow a couple of feet from the ground and red 8 inches from the surface.

Is this a problem with all parking lots or just this one?

It sounds like there is metal in the ground. If so, you should not launch your Phantom and/or attempt to calibrate the compass from that location.

Yes, were you on concrete? Buried rebar can cause compass issues as soon as you set the aircraft down.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic