Fungus On Lenses General Tip for Topical Areas

Reaction score
Credit to http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_d ... enses.html
for this one. I learned about this when I was having my Canon DSLR appraised for resale. I guess Hawaii has a problem with this. I pack a couple of packs of the moisture absorber packs like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/50EA-X-5g-SILIC ... 3f22974a46
In my camera bag, with my lenses, and my drone .
I do not endorse the above I'm showing this as an example.

Fungus On Lenses

Fungus means an Infestation of optical instruments with fungus spores which germinate and produce more spores.
Lens surfaces are irreparably damaged by metabolic products of the fungus (e.g. acids). Its damage ranges from cloudiness to opacity caused by the film. The Carl Zeiss T* coating has no significant influence on fungus growth or generation of spores.

Where does fungus come from?

Fungus spores are everywhere and germinate under suitable environmental conditions:

Growing conditions
Relative humidity of at least 70% (more than 3 days)
No or little airflow
Darkness
Nutrients (textile lint, traces of grease, varnish, dust and dirt)
Temperatures between 10 and 35°C

How can fungus be avoided?

Reduce the relative humidity to less than 60% (never under 30% as it is dangerous for the instrument) by storing:

in climate-control cabinets in which hygrometers maintain environmental conditions
next to driers (e.g. silicagel orange packs) in the containers
in a special cabinet whose interior is heated to 40°C (max. 50°C) using a fan heater/ incandescent lamps, thereby reducing the relative humidity
in hermetically sealed cabinets with fungicides with high vapor pressure (fungicide depot must be replaced at regular intervals)
in an dehydrator above driers

After the work is done, Immediately clean the instruments. If possible, you can use a fan to facilitate evaporation of surface moisture. Do not use containers made of leather, textiles or wood for storage. Short solar radiation or irradiation with UV light may also help avoiding fungus.

How can fungus be removed?

Note: In general, Carl Zeiss does not accept instruments infested by fungus.

Clean affected surfaces with a cotton wiper that has been soaked with a disinfectant. You can build your cotton wiper, using cotton wrapped around a toothpickin such a way that a ball with a peak forms on the pointy end of the stick. Use pure cotton, no prepared or impregnated cotton. Strongly rub slightly corroded optical surfaces with an optical cleaning cloth, cigarette ash can be used as a polishing aid. Heavily corroded optical surfaces must be replaced. Fungus infestation in the interior of an instrument can only be eliminated through disassembly of the instrument.

Those silica packs won't make much difference in your camera bag unless you seal the whole thing in a plastic bag.
I've found - by testing with a sensor - even larger versions of the absorbent material idea have little effect on humidity unless kept in a sealed container (i.e. a regular cupboard is also not sufficiently airtight).
30% or less is desirable.
If you have a wide range of cameras and lenses a small air conditioned cabinet starts to look sensible.

4wd said:
Those silica packs won't make much difference in your camera bag unless you seal the whole thing in a plastic bag.
I've found - by testing with a sensor - even larger versions of the absorbent material idea have little effect on humidity unless kept in a sealed container (i.e. a regular cupboard is also not sufficiently airtight).
30% or less is desirable.
If you have a wide range of cameras and lenses a small air conditioned cabinet starts to look sensible.

I hear ya, they are in sealed containers, and my drone is also kept in a sealed pro case when i'm not flying. Good input.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20