Full throttle accend after motor install problem

Reaction score
I've installed new tmotors, it will start up, idle and lift off fine, but once I start to ascent it will just go full throttle and take off to the sky, every time I'll let go of the sticks and it will keep trying to go full throttle. (Remote is factory) it's like there's no idle once you've taken off.

When it try's to take off, there seems to be this awful delay when throttling down on the remote and when it actually throttles down on the quad. Batteries are only 4-5 flights old and show 5.5volt in the djirc laptop app.

Now before motor install, I was using flight station to make a flight, lost signal of the quad and found it in the woods after 45 min of searching. After that we did the motor upgrade, so I can't rule out something from that wreck for sure.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

It seems your controlles are off. I would recomment to do a full advanced callibration. Good luck [emoji106]

Ok. Done.

Now it can go up without the full throttle issue (I now has a leash to be safe)

Im still intermittently having this issue, where while hovering, it will give itself throttle and then stop, some throttle and then stop.

Ive done some straight up and down take offs and it will go up, and coming down (while holding the stick down) it will stop coming down and hover some, and then come down again.

BTW thanks for your suggestion and help aartsf.

Is the satellite count changing as it does that? Loose GPS connection maybe?

Jcaniford said:
Ok. Done.

Im still intermittently having this issue, where while hovering, it will give itself throttle and then stop, some throttle and then stop.

Ive done some straight up and down take offs and it will go up, and coming down (while holding the stick down) it will stop coming down and hover some, and then come down again.

That to me sounds normal. They all do this if there is any wind. It's only trying to hold it's position per the gps.

Have you calibrated the compass since adding the new motors?

flyNfrank said:
Jcaniford said:
Ok. Done.

That to me sounds normal. They all do this if there is any wind. It's only trying to hold it's position per the gps.

Have you calibrated the compass since adding the new motors?

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I've recalibrated the compass a couple times to be sure. And there's about 10mph winds at most sometimes. I need to try it in Atti mode and see if it's still doing it there.

There still is these moment where ill tell it to come down and its like the quad isn't doing as its told. Even changing the fail safe to land immediately it would come down and about 20' it would stop. It always seems to be unresponsive at the same height.

Then once it came down it landed and upon turning the props off it tipped over, well after restarting one motor is hesitant and won't start, so from what I've learned it would either be my solder job didn't hold, the esc is bad, or a cable is loose. If an esc was going out midflight would it possibly be causing this surge of throttle that I'm expirencing.

I thought altitude was determined by the barometer ? Perhaps the IMU is hosed from the crash ?

Guessing, of course

maybe wrong esc ?

Jcaniford said:
justin00 said:
maybe wrong esc ?

Wrong esc?
Quite possible...did you install the new motors with the original esc's? Could be a firmware issue, which AFAIK is not available for download from DJI....

mede8er said:
Jcaniford said:
justin00 said:
maybe wrong esc ?

Wrong esc?
Quite possible...did you install the new motors with the original esc's? Could be a firmware issue, which AFAIK is not available for download from DJI....

I apologize for my ignorance, but the esc are the boards the motors are soldered into, are you supposed to install new esc's with? Are you responding to the ESC about the original thread question? Or about the now motor not functioning and/or revving

Jcaniford said:
are you supposed to install new esc's with

Your original post said you installed tmotors. I'm not aware the tmotors required an updated esc board in the past, but a new version of them might. The new version 3 P2 motors DO require an updated ESC.

DrJoe said:
Jcaniford said:
are you supposed to install new esc's with

Your original post said you installed tmotors. I'm not aware the tmotors required an updated esc board in the past, but a new version of them might. The new version 3 P2 motors DO require an updated ESC.

Well I ordered a new ESC for this one side of the quad, if this ESC is this updated one, how do I update the rest? via the firmware Phantom computer app? If so I should be all up-to-date.

I guess the next thing is to get this new ESC in on tuesday and see if it will get up and running hopefully that board going in and out is what was maybe causing this intermittent control? Crossing my fingers.

Oh sorry I didn't relies you said Tmotors.. thought you meant just the new 2312 motors (didn't see the T) - What are Tmotors anyways ??
I would think if just 1 side was faulty it would not fly straight horizontally or vertically.

BTW you can't update ESC firmware, you need to make sure the ESC you get is the same as your existing 3..

Does kind of sound like possibly some speed control issue, which is what the ESC do (Electronic Speed Controller).. but then again could be a number of things. Would speak to your DJI dealer / local hobby shop before you go out and spend money.

Well ESC came in today, got it in. Did an Advanced Recal, Compass Calibration, and started it up, and lifted it up, and same issue, sudden full throttle and this Reving ordeal.

Came back down to the ground, tipped over yet AGAIN, another broken prop, and now on another arm, the motor is twitching before it starts. Opened it up, swapped the motor out for another one, same thing, same twitch before starting.

Again, this is another arm that the ESC seems to be acting up on, so I unplugged the cable from another arm and plugged it into the ESC that was giving me this twitch, and same results. So looks like i have a 2nd bad ESC. Whats the chances of 2 ESCs going out this close together or from a crash?

To be safe... I ordered 3 ESC's. I'm getting tired of the waiting game.... I want to hurry up and fly.

Thoughts?

justin00 said:
Oh sorry I didn't relies you said Tmotors.. thought you meant just the new 2312 motors (didn't see the T) - What are Tmotors anyways ??
I would think if just 1 side was faulty it would not fly straight horizontally or vertically.

BTW you can't update ESC firmware, you need to make sure the ESC you get is the same as your existing 3..

Does kind of sound like possibly some speed control issue, which is what the ESC do (Electronic Speed Controller).. but then again could be a number of things. Would speak to your DJI dealer / local hobby shop before you go out and spend money.

TMotors = http://www.dronefly.com/product-p/t-motors.htm

UPDATE & SOLVED:

So many times i see post/question among board of various topics that go unanswered. Im guilty, i'll get my problem fixed and not explain why or how i resolved it.

Problem of the full throttle to the sky - Solved by doing an advanced recal in the software and calibrating the remote in the remote software. After that a fresh Compass Recal of the copter outside where i was testing.

Problem of the revving , surging , unstableness and up and down bounce effect: Ended up being two ESC boards on their way out, i discovered them BOTH after landed and the copter tipping off. upon restart a motor would twitch and then start, and the other time the motor wouldn't event start. The first one the motor wouldn't even start, replaced board, motor starts, but still super unstable and and vertical climbs would result in a 10-15' drop and then stable out. after landing, tips, and another motor does the twitch and starts, but is generally just slow to start. So I replace that board today and BOOM! She's running like new again.

My theory is the failing ESC's were causing the MC to see the quad as falling and sending an increase RPM command to the motors which would be the surging/revving effect i was getting, the sudden unstableness has to be from the esc shorting in and out or just failing one way or another. A way I've been able to rule out the other two original ESCs is testing the capacitor on the circuit board of the ESC using a multimeter and checking the resistance, the ones that were working or intermittent were showing around a .431-.465, the ones that were working were showing a 1.5. You have to unscrew the ESC board and flip it over and check the soldered points under the board for the capacitor to test.

Anyhow Thank you all so much for the help, glad to get the quad back flying! Now another day or two of safe flying i'll go ahead and put my gimbal back on it, not risking breaking that thing again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav