Frustrated with DJI and the "dronership" experience

Reaction score
So here's my story.
Got my 1st P2V+ V2 in December. After about 10 flights it decides to imitate a flying rock. Here is the story of the death of my first Phantom about 2 weeks after I got it.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31547
I returned it to Amazon and got a full refund.
Decided to buy the "latest greatest" the P2V+ V3 model. I especially wanted the camera control wheel on the controller. I paid $250 more than the 1st one but I got all of the new features (if you can call cheaped out wiring a feature) plus another battery.
Yesterday I picked up the Phantom and, based on what I have been reading for the last day about the effect of a minor tipover/prop strike burning out the ESC, can't even fly this new one!
I am incredibly frustrated with DJI and totally had it with all of these quality control issues.
I tried to crack open the shell tonight to see the markings on the ESC but of course I didn't have the right screwdriver to open it up. More GRRRRRRRRR.
I am wondering if anyone can tell me if I have the 2.1 ESC just from the markings on the case. Model # is PV331. If that does not indicate which ESC version I have I will crack it open tomorrow to take a look. I am already expecting the worst and will, if not clearly marked 2.1, consider returning it unflown and sitting on my cash until DJI gets their crap together.
Sorry for the rant. I never expected that my wallet would be 10x lighter and that I'd be 10x more frustrated before I ever contemplated buying one of these things!

Re: Frustrated with DJI and the "drone" experience

I just wish DJI would communicate with us, even if they haven't figured it out yet. It isn't like they're unaware.

I feel your pain!

I had the P2V+ V2 and got really nervous with the lack of GPS signal, then read all the horror stories here. I returned it to B&H, received a refund and spent more for the improved P2V+ V3. Granted, the GPS is rock solid now! Yay DJI got THAT part right. I cracked mine open tonight and finally took pictures to see where I stand. I posted it here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32368&start=360#p301657

Sadly, I just pulled mine out of the case and verified that the model number stamped on mine is PV331! I'd be curious to see if you have the same guys that I do!

russianfront said:
Chinese mentality in play. Anything to get the sale then run off with the money.
man, I would really open her up

I thought I had the latest and greatest v3, till I opened her up and realized they are using an older wifi module in my v3

Re: Frustrated with DJI and the

eyecon82 said:
russianfront said:
Chinese mentality in play. Anything to get the sale then run off with the money.

I thought I had the latest and greatest v3, till I opened her up and realized they are using an older wifi module in my v3

Where in the specs of the latest P2V+ on DJIs website does it mention anything about a different wifi module design? I can't find it anywhere. They only mention: 1. new motors, props, ESCs. 2. New remote control. 3. New compass

I can't find anywhere any mention of anything to do with something different about the wifi.

Or is this feature coming from some other source that says it is part of V3?

Just sayin. I would want it too if I were buying a new one.

Components are constantly being updated. That's life, sometimes they are announced as a user upgrade, sometimes not. Over the life of any given production model, changes are introduced as improvements are made. You may not be aware of them.

In this case, DJI announced upgrades to the TX (shoulder wheel) ESCs, motors and compass. I don't recall ever seeing any DJI announcement of a phantom vision 3. I think it was the consumers who christened it V3.

happydays said:
Components are constantly being updated. That's life, sometimes they are announced as a user upgrade, sometimes not. Over the life of any given production model, changes are introduced as improvements are made. You may not be aware of them.

In this case, DJI announced upgrades to the TX (shoulder wheel) ESCs, motors and compass. I don't recall ever seeing any DJI announcement of a phantom vision 3. I think it was the consumers who christened it V3.

I really perplexed by some of your responses in this thread and others. From you profile pic, I assume you are in the businesses world... but you seem to not realize that without customers you have no business. You make statements like "that how all companys operate" (paraphrased). As consumers, we have an obligation to not allow greed to overshawdow what is the right thing to do.

If we just keep saying... that's what businesses do.. then your right.. companies will just keep trying to rape consumers in any way possible. I prefer to push for more accountability. If they want my dollar, then they need to starting putting the customer in front again.

dbfletcher said:
happydays said:

I really perplexed by some of your responses in this thread and others. From you profile pic, I assume you are in the businesses world... but you seem to not realize that without customers you have no business. You make statements like "that how all companys operate" (paraphrased). As consumers, we have an obligation to not allow greed to overshawdow what is the right thing to do.

If we just keep saying... that's what businesses do.. then your right.. companies will just keep trying to rape consumers in any way possible. I prefer to push for more accountability. If they want my dollar, then they need to starting putting the customer in front again.

Let's just agree to differ in our opinions of mass production manufacturing them.

dbfletcher said:
happydays said:

Here Here!
When folks simply educate themselves with info. presented on forums such as this, and simply stop buying the product, only then will things begin to change.
When changes are made within the product line, we as consumers expect the changes to be for the better, and if the change presents issues, then they should promptly be addressed. The consumer should be informed and provided updated info. as it relates to any such issues
DJI is suppose to have representatives in the field, and I only assume they are monitoring daily consumer responses to their products, and provide continuous feedback to the company, yet the adage "Silence is Golden" appears to be tradition with DJI who support the motto deny, deny, deny, until some consumer comes up with a fix to the issue at hand. Eg. Wi-Fi TX module, GPS module interference issue, etc.
Buyer beware!
I'm not sure how much testing if any is actually performed on the product once changes have been made, as it appears many issues have developed with new owners in a short time span, particularly regarding the new version of ESC and motor adaption recently incorporated into the latest Phantom series. Interesting!
IMHO, I would not make a purchase of this latest version until the smoke clears, and the issue are actively addressed, plain and simple.

happydays said:

The UPC symbol on my box clearly states V 3.

- Tweez

Yes, it is very frustrating, my box says V3 on it as well but had old ESCs and old wifi.... I am sending it back for exchange, I told BH, I will open it up when I get it and if it still as old ESCs I will just return for a refund. Going back tomorrow. Like you I am also very frustrated, however, if I didn't read any of the forum posts, I would simply be flying my phantom without worry! I flew mine 6X with no issues with anything, however after reading numerous posts, I am almost paranoid to fly mine with the hardware that is in it.

russianfront said:
I am wondering if anyone can tell me if I have the 2.1 ESC just from the markings on the case.

I also bought mine via Amazon. Just cracked it open today, and mine are 2.1! Phew... Try comparing your serial number to the one shown below (I blurred out the last 3 digits). My guess is that if your serial number is higher than mine, or lower but within a few thousand, you have a good probability of having the 2.1 since the serial numbers appear to be chronologically ordered.

phantom-belly.PNG

Tweezer said:
happydays said:

The UPC symbol on my box clearly states V 3.

- Tweez

You can also see the underbelly of my phantom says v 3.0 in the post above.

houstonpilot said:
russianfront said:
I am wondering if anyone can tell me if I have the 2.1 ESC just from the markings on the case.

I also bought mine via Amazon. Just cracked it open today, and mine are 2.1! Phew... Try comparing your serial number to the one shown below (I blurred out the last 3 digits). My guess is that if your serial number is higher than mine, or lower but within a few thousand, you have a good probability of having the 2.1 since the serial numbers appear to be chronologically ordered.

phantom-belly.PNG

I've got ser nr: PH6454177** and i can't determin how to see if i have the V2.1 ESC. It isn't marked on them.
Can you post a picture on how it looks on your ESC's ?

Its going back. I will try to not send it with a nasty note in the box. Blank ESCs and no upgraded wi-fi module. Also not happy with how loose the GPS plug was. But that's another story.
I spent $25 to buy the right tools to crack open the case and these pictures show what I found:

2la3dae.jpg

flc901.jpg

k15d9s.jpg

2isckrs.jpg

21aljpi.jpg

160u6he.jpg

t8rgb8.jpg

16bacqr.jpg

I haven't flown and it am not going to take a chance. Amazon hello to 2nd returned Phantom in the last month. Looks like I will sit on my refund for a few months until DJI stops shipping mish-mash junk piles to the unsuspecting public. Thank god for this forum. Looks like I just saved myself $1300.

Can't wait until there is more competition in this market. Someday DJI might just find itself the outcast of the industry. Word travels fast especially amongst this crowd. DJI is digging its own grave with its greed and incompetance.

WOW..makred 3.0 AND NONE of the upgrades? I'd be pissed as well

Re: Frustrated with DJI and the "dronership" experience

BlackTracer said:
eyecon82 said:
russianfront said:

Where in the specs of the latest P2V+ on DJIs website does it mention anything about a different wifi module design? I can't find it anywhere. They only mention: 1. new motors, props, ESCs. 2. New remote control. 3. New compass

I can't find anywhere any mention of anything to do with something different about the wifi.

Or is this feature coming from some other source that says it is part of V3?

Just sayin. I would want it too if I were buying a new one.

You won't find anything in it officially because that would mean dji admits fault for previous bad wifi design

On the same note, were you able to find anything on the better gps shielding? I doubt it, but that means they would be admitting fault of bad gps shielding before

happydays said:
I don't recall ever seeing any DJI announcement of a phantom vision 3. I think it was the consumers who christened it V3.

You just proved yourself to be ignorant beyond any reasonable doubt. Salute to you sir.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20