FRUSTRATED & OVERWHELMED HELP!

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a dilemma here and I've searched other forums and decided to post my frustrations here in hopes of hearing from those who have been there and done that in order to recieve some constructive advice...more specifically my issues are as follows...I know that I do want the phantom so here it goes:
1. I have a paid gig doing some advertising shooting as well as monitoring water lines
2. I want a FPV system and don't see myself going over 2+ miles..it'd be cool to go over but battery and orientation are a factor
3. I want the H3-3D gimbal vs the vision 2 & plus
4. I was told that installing the futaba receiver along with radio equates to much better reception and more gimbal operations???
5. DSLR Pros has a rig for $2400..is this feasibile or do I build up my own rig from scratch? (I have priced it separately and DSLR seems the least expensive route to go but they do not install the futaba receiver..instead they simply bind the futaba to the OEM DJI receiver)
6. Should I buy used? (I'm leary because of crash history)

Anyway guys, can someone give me some no BS advice please. I'm an Amazon guy and would like to buy from there but if there's another site I'd be interested in knowing. I wanna stay around $2K

P.S. I don't think I'd like the goggles with fatshark and really want a ground station as well. Hope this all makes sense and please...no flaming...just some good ol advice from those who have been in my shoes.

Rather than try and answer every individual question, maybe I can offer some advice:

Slow down.

It is easy to get caught up in the technology, all the options, and imagining the possibilities. And of course you want to do it all immediately. But don't underestimate how challenging it can be to master even the basics. So here's what I recommend.

1. Get a bare bones P2. Fly it. Fly it some more. Fly it until you can fly it without crashing. Learn all of the different modes. After a bunch of practice then you can...
2. Get a camera + gimbal. Then fly some more and work on your videography techniques. When you have that under control...
3. Get FPV. But you also need iOSD. Learn how to read the data. Learn how to navigate through FPV. It may take a while before you can send the Phantom out of sight.

By building the rig yourself, you will have a better understanding of the technologies.

This can be an expensive hobby, and there are a LOT of ways that you can crash or lose your Phantom. If you rush into it, you will learn your lessons the hard and expensive way (I speak from experience). Slow down and take one step at a time. You don't want to be "that guy" who loses their Phantom on their first flight.

I hope this helps. I don't mean to preach, just save you some money.

I would like to second what Gavinski said. Learn to fly a stock quad before you throw a ton of money into it. It sounds like you've done quite a bit of research, but you will still need plenty of experience flying before you will be proficient enough to reliably and safely fly at the distances you are talking about.

I noticed in your post that you stated that you wouldn't need to go over 2 miles? The stock P2V+ will only get you out to 2,000 feet.

If you go with the P2 and H3-3D gimbal, you're now down to 1,000 feet.

What are your expectations? How far away from your home point do you need to fly the aircraft?

You've taken on two very dissimilar jobs. The monitoring of water lines and advertisement. You obviously need the gimbal for the ads, but not necessarily for the monitoring job. If the water line monitoring is what's driving your need for distance flying, you may want to check out the many topics on this board regarding updated antenna strategy.

For the advertisement job, since you're going with the P2 and H3-3D gimbal, I'll assume you'll be using a GoPro 3+ Black for a camera. You still need to install an entire FPV system. This is where the Futaba comes in. I'm not sure why you'd have more control over the gimbal with that receiver.

That being said... Why wouldn't you go with a P2V+? If someone's sold you on the idea that the GoPro is a much better camera, it really isn't. It's really more of a marginal difference. The P2V+ comes with FPV and a 3 axis gimbal.

-slinger

gunslinger said:
I noticed in your post that you stated that you wouldn't need to go over 2 miles? The stock P2V+ will only get you out to 2,000 feet.

-slinger

This isn't actually true. Whereas the P2V+ is rated to 2000ft, the P2 (which operates on 2.4) has a range of 1000 meters not feet. This is over 3000ft for the P2 and it will easily go further just because of the fact that uses 2.4 rather than 5.8. If distance is the main goal the P2 will win hands down (stock to stock).

gunslinger said:

-slinger

Please explain how 5.8 is better than 2.4 ?

750r said:
gunslinger said:

-slinger

Please explain how 5.8 is better than 2.4 ?

It's a bigger number. 5.8 > 2.4.

It's a bigger number. 5.8 > 2.4.[/quote]
Is that how it works :lol:

mcmax20 said:
gunslinger said:

-slinger

This isn't actually true. Whereas the P2V+ is rated to 2000ft, the P2 (which operates on 2.4) has a range of 1000 meters not feet. This is over 3000ft for the P2 and it will easily go further just because of the fact that uses 2.4 rather than 5.8. If distance is the main goal the P2 will win hands down (stock to stock).

You got me there. I had no idea the P2 had a 3000ft range... I really haven't looked at the specs and assumed they'd be similar to the P2V, not even thinking that it operates on 2.4. I just saw the 1,000 and assumed feet, not meters... Thanks for the info. :oops: :) :D :lol:

-slinger

gunslinger said:
If someone's sold you on the idea that the GoPro is a much better camera, it really isn't. It's really more of a marginal difference.

The difference is much more than marginal.

You don't have to take my for it though, here's a pretty good explanation of the major differences between the two cameras:

http://vimeo.com/92122965

Listen to the others advise of crawling before you walk and get to know the Phantom and how it all works. Easy to go to fast if you are just starting out.

Also, completely agree with panhygrous panther, the difference is noticeable. Thats enough for me if you are trying to sell what you do.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik