FrSky Taranis, X8R, Phantom 2.

Reaction score
Hi guys,
My goal is to set the Phantom Battery Voltage to be read on the Taranis with low and critical warning levels, the same way these warnings were on the original DJI Transmitter.

My second goal is to learn how to setup the ability to adjust the NazaM Gain settings from within the Taranis while the Phantom is in flight.

I have already flown the Phantom with all functions of IOC, GPS, ATTI and manual working properly as I followed the instructions on this link http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthr ... -Naza-M-V2

Attached are a couple pics of how I connected my X8R and the NazaM...I'm not sure if these connections are fully correct, but as per the few multi-hour flights I've tested it on the past few days, all the LED's, and flight mode functions work per the custom switches I've assigned.

Does anyone have this setup and familiar with what I'm trying to do?

Thanks very much for any help.

340Cams
Michael

Attachments

• 2014-03-25 11.24.44.jpg
    2014-03-25 11.24.44.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,619
  • 20140325_113150.jpg
    20140325_113150.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 927
  • 20140325_113213.jpg
    20140325_113213.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,160
If you want voltage on your Taranis you'll need to figure out a way to solder in FLVSS voltage sensor. I have this on my F550 but it's easy there as the battery has proper balance port.

For gains, just set a channel up on the Taranis to be the channel for gains. I think it's channel 7. I can't remember exactly.

I'm a bit curious why I'd need to solder a new device into the craft as it already was capable of sensing and warning of critical low levels with the original xmitter ( remote controller). My assumption is if it worked with the other controller, then it should work with this one.
Am I misunderstanding this?

Thanks

340cams said:
I'm a bit curious why I'd need to solder a new device into the craft as it already was capable of sensing and warning of critical low levels with the original xmitter ( remote controller). My assumption is if it worked with the other controller, then it should work with this one.
Am I misunderstanding this?

Thanks

The original Phantom controller? It didn't report battery voltage on the Phantom itself. The X8R receiver sends telemetry data like that back to the Taranis, but only for whatever sensors are connected to it (and it can't read that data straight from the NAZA).

@rilot: you can connect an FLVSS straight to a standard balance tap? Do you need this too for the X8R: http://www.alofthobbies.com/x8r2analog.html ..? In my Phantom (with the D8R-XP) I just had it wired to the aux lead from the mainboard.

Alright...The X8R cannot read the data straight from the Naza? I'm in the learning mode here, so my impression was that if the X8R was actually connected to the NAZA and commanding the craft via the X8R, that it would also receive battery levels because
the original Phantom controller did not have a viewing screen to visually read battery data, but it did get battery data and audibly indicate when the battery reached low levels and then further..critical levels, all the while the craft would flash it's continous red lights as a warning...which the craft still does flash it's light's when battery levels reach certain levels. Battery levels are being monitored somewhere.
I'm getting that my thought process is not correct...I will need to install an analog voltage sensor.

I just ordered the Voltage sensor...

The second goal I'm looking for is to learn how to setup the ability to adjust the NazaM Gain settings from within the Taranis while the Phantom is in flight.

Any direction on how I do this procedure?

I’ve just ordered a HML350 V2 retractable landing gear kit for my DJI Phantom 2. hml350 v2 - Buy Cheap hml350 v2 - From Banggood :eek:

It is fitted with iOSD, a standard Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal and a GoPro Hero3 Black; I fly it using a FrSky Taranis X9D Plus and an 8XR Rx. Everything (including RTH, Failsafe. IOS, Mode control for GPS, ATTI & Manual and the H3-3D gimbal) works perfectly. The only slightly ‘strange’ thing is that the yaw control stick turns the gimbal left or right.

I have yet to set up ‘head-tracking’ when using my goggles (Skyzone1)

I haven’t figured out how to use the X8R to raise and lower the undercarriage, but don’t really see a problem as I have nine unused channels available and anyone of them could activate a servo.

I am a little concerned about making sure that there is a system in place ensuring that the undercarriage is down and locked when the Phantom lands under any circumstances. I’d hate to mash the camera because I forgot or it came in on failsafe and I had no control. I know that if I manually switch it to RTH I can warn myself to lower the gear at the same time audibly.

I can set audible altitude warnings but I don’t want them going off just because I’m flying low and I can’t envisage me deliberately landing it out of line-of-sight. As I rarely fly alone there should nearly always be a second set of eyes to remind me, anyway.

Has anyone got any tips or advice? All would be gratefully received.

I’ve just ordered a HML350 V2 retractable landing gear kit for my DJI Phantom 2. hml350 v2 - Buy Cheap hml350 v2 - From Banggood :eek:

It is fitted with iOSD, a standard Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal and a GoPro Hero3 Black; I fly it using a FrSky Taranis X9D Plus and an 8XR Rx. Everything (including RTH, Failsafe. IOS, Mode control for GPS, ATTI & Manual and the H3-3D gimbal) works perfectly. The only slightly ‘strange’ thing is that the yaw control stick turns the gimbal left or right.

I have yet to set up ‘head-tracking’ when using my goggles (Skyzone1)

I haven’t figured out how to use the X8R to raise and lower the undercarriage, but don’t really see a problem as I have nine unused channels available and anyone of them could activate a servo.

I am a little concerned about making sure that there is a system in place ensuring that the undercarriage is down and locked when the Phantom lands under any circumstances. I’d hate to mash the camera because I forgot or it came in on failsafe and I had no control. I know that if I manually switch it to RTH I can warn myself to lower the gear at the same time audibly.

I can set audible altitude warnings but I don’t want them going off just because I’m flying low and I can’t envisage me deliberately landing it out of line-of-sight. As I rarely fly alone there should nearly always be a second set of eyes to remind me, anyway.

Has anyone got any tips or advice? All would be gratefully received.

You can take control at any time during a Failsafe or RTH.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik