Frsky Taranis HELP

K

Khudson7

I bought the Taranis for my phantom 2. I am afraid I may have bitten off much more than I can chew. Installing this thing, especially having to remove and install the rx into the phantom, I can not find any step by step instructions anywhere.

Can anyone point me to somewhere I can get some help or video walking through this process?

Thanks...

Actually thanks for that link...it will be very useful.

But I am a bit of a noob, and was looking for some step by step instructions on how to remove the rx from the phantom and replace and wire the x8r into the phantom body, itself. This is a bit new for me.

Thanks

The receiver in your Phantom is the little board that has 2 cables going to the X1 and X2 ports on the NAZA. Once you unplug those two cables from the Naza, you can then remove the 2 little screws holding that board in place and take it out...the 2 antenna will come out with it as well.

The X8R then goes in its place (anywhere you want to place it inside), with a single wire connecting the SBus port on the X8R to the X2 Port on the NAZA.

Does your X8R have the antennae with the little black housing on the end of each, or are they just long wires with an exposed section at the end? If it's the former, then you'll need to plan ahead a bit with the routing and placement of the antennae before you settle on the placement of the receiver.

Also note that once you have the X8R in place you'll need to change the "Receiver Type" setting in the Assistant Software (it's on the RC tab) to "D-bus"

OI Photography said:
The receiver in your Phantom is the little board that has 2 cables going to the X1 and X2 ports on the NAZA. Once you unplug those two cables from the Naza, you can then remove the 2 little screws holding that board in place and take it out...the 2 antenna will come out with it as well.

The X8R then goes in its place (anywhere you want to place it inside), with a single wire connecting the SBus port on the X8R to the X2 Port on the NAZA.

Does your X8R have the antennae with the little black housing on the end of each, or are they just long wires with an exposed section at the end? If it's the former, then you'll need to plan ahead a bit with the routing and placement of the antennae before you settle on the placement of the receiver.

Also note that once you have the X8R in place you'll need to change the "Receiver Type" setting in the Assistant Software (it's on the RC tab) to "D-bus"

OK Thanks so much, OI Photography....yes my x8r has the little black housing on the end of each so I guess I will plan on drilling a hole in the body for them to pass thru and tape to the outside somehow. Your info sounds pretty straight forward and I am about to start this shortly. Hoping all goes well...thanks again for your valuable help.

My pleasure! If you don't want to mess up the body of your Phantom by drilling holes, there's another way to route those antennae leads:

If you inspect the X8R casing, you'll see 4 little tabs on the sides (2 on each side near the top) that will let you remove the top half of the casing if you push them in gently. Once the top is off, you can easily locate where the antennae leads snap on to the board. You can unsnap the tiny connectors there, route the leads in to the body of the Phantom from the outside, and then re-connect them in the X8R and replace the housing cover.

OI Photography said:
My pleasure! If you don't want to mess up the body of your Phantom by drilling holes, there's another way to route those antennae leads:

If you inspect the X8R casing, you'll see 4 little tabs on the sides (2 on each side near the top) that will let you remove the top half of the casing if you push them in gently. Once the top is off, you can easily locate where the antennae leads snap on to the board. You can unsnap the tiny connectors there, route the leads in to the body of the Phantom from the outside, and then re-connect them in the X8R and replace the housing cover.

OK thanks, I did open it up and saw the connections you refer to, but it appears they are glued in with a little white something so I do not want to mess further with that. so I will drill small half hole at the seam for that.

Another question. I got the stock rx out and now plugged in the x2 into the x8r bus. Put in a battery turned it on and the bind light is blinking. when I also turned on the taranis, the info screen now reads Phantom(it did not do that before). Does the blinking light on the x8r mean it has binded(is that a word?)

Success, sort of....

Thanks for everyones help. It appears I have successfully replaced the stock rx, with the taranis x8r receiver. I have gotten the taranis to bind, and in the naza assistant, most all seem to be working. The only thing not working right now is ioc(course lock and home lock). But I will keep working on that. Also I would like to change which buttons switches are being used, but that is for a later day after recovering from todays anxieties.

But as always, I never could have done this alone without the help from this board.

Sincere thanks to all.

Always glad to help! Please do come back if you run in to any other obstacles. If you need a pre-configured eeprom file for the Phantom setup on the Taranis we have a good one available, it was very valuable to me when learning how to use and configure everything.

OI Photography said:
Always glad to help! Please do come back if you run in to any other obstacles. If you need a pre-configured eeprom file for the Phantom setup on the Taranis we have a good one available, it was very valuable to me when learning how to use and configure everything.

OK, I will take you up on your kind offer....where might I get that pre-configured eeprom you mention...and(sorry still new at this) how do I go about downloading it to the taranis?

Again, thanks,

The eeprom is in the zip file I've attached here.

Getting that (or any config file) on to the Taranis involves using the excellent PC software designed for that purpose, CompanionTx...it's a simple GUI that lets you mess with any and all settings and then save (burn) those configurations to the Taranis. You'll need to do a little you-tubing or reading to get familiar with it, but it's pretty simple and logical once you get in to it.

Here's a couple of great vids to get you started, the guy who produced them has a bunch on his channel for all skill levels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9yJCxQw3Yc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEMQlWDoHlc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSGzSf9jelg

Attachments

• Taranis Phantom.zip
    6.8 KB · Views: 169
OI Photography said:
The eeprom is in the zip file I've attached here.

Getting that (or any config file) on to the Taranis involves using the excellent PC software designed for that purpose, CompanionTx...it's a simple GUI that lets you mess with any and all settings and then save (burn) those configurations to the Taranis. You'll need to do a little you-tubing or reading to get familiar with it, but it's pretty simple and logical once you get in to it.

Here's a couple of great vids to get you started, the guy who produced them has a bunch on his channel for all skill levels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9yJCxQw3Yc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEMQlWDoHlc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSGzSf9jelg
OI...after spending several days trying to figure this out on my own to no avail, this morning I was ready to throw in the towel.

Now it all is working A-OK and I am tickled pink.

Thanks again for taking the time to help get me through this.
Ken

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31