From 1000ft to 3000ft

Reaction score
As some know, I was one of the unlucky few only getting to 1000ft distance and altitude before loss of signal. Been working with different things and finally came up with this. The main antenna add on is much deeper and curved than my first try that got me to 1500ft. I also went ahead and made a small reflector for my wifi. To my amazement, I flew out to test the distance and it said "limit reached" at 2000ft distance. Well crap, bring it in decided to go ahead and update this aircraft to 3.06 and reset the limits to 3000ft each way. Went back out and sure enough, made 3000ft distance without a single glitch. Not sure I want to again, but its nice to know I can. The altitude limit is calling my name, but there is just too much risk involved in my opinion to go for anything close to 3000ft. Here is my set-up. Tony, I'm still going to order your set-up. Needless to say your quality control is much better.

Attachments

• dish.JPG
    dish.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 657
The good old "windsurfer" design... been around for many moons... my buddy used to use it from his garage to catch signal from the wifi router in the back of the main house... have you tried the printable download that gives you the proper curves and templates?

But then again... why mess with the one you have when it's tripling your range right? :cool:

DBS said:
The good old "windsurfer" design... been around for many moons... my buddy used to use it from his garage to catch signal from the wifi router in the back of the main house... have you tried the printable download that gives you the proper curves and templates?

But then again... why mess with the one you have when it's tripling your range right? :cool:

No, I sure haven't. Just been through lots of cardboard and sprite cans. My first antenna one was more short and shallow. This deeper and longer (inset pun here) design REALLY made the difference.

Sorry guys.....
BUT being a pilot myself, that kind of height your going to is not where you want to be. Any thing over 500' is Federal Air Space. I've flown at 500' and E,W,N,S is between 2,500 to 3,500 Lower alt). A small plane moving at 100 to 150 knots can not see a Phantom to avoid it. You on the ground have no idea how high that on coming plane is. Air collisions happen very quickly.

I agree reginarh, that's why I stated in my first post I didn't try to get to that altitude, I said its calling my name, but its "too much risk" for anything close to that. My distance was 3000ft, my altitude was about 400ft.

4wd said:
These ideas are fun to play with, but using like that regularly could conceivably damage the electronics.
By changing the tune of the antenna you might be doing something much like high SWR on a CB radio.

You're totally right.
Did warn about that issue before.
I let them have there creativity, its fun to see that it actually gives some results and if they blow up the final stage in the end, well they had fun playing with it.
On the other hand i guess a 100mW final stage has some advantage, if they would do that to a 1w or higher it will blow within seconds due to the returned power.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik