Free training from dji

only 1 course in the UK, & thats too far away at such notice

I see this both as a plus and a minus. It is great for those that need it or want it. But, it sends a message that this drone is hard to fly, which isn't true, in my opinion.

p fandango said:
only 1 course in the UK, & thats too far away at such notice

Indeed. Newcastle :shock: Did they just look at a map of uk and click in the middle?

Hanging out with 59 other Phantom pilots, now that sounds...crowded, but fun.

Awesome, But I'm Not Flying Interstate To Attend One.

madsonp said:
I wish they'd give you a coupon for 50% off a new inspire instead of the vision. I'd drive to Colorado for that.

Ditto to that! Sad how there's no love for us California folks..

Im going to the melb one to... i think.

Just got an email asking me to confirm my attendance... Check your email as you might of been asked to confirm as well.

See some of you on sunday :)

For those who are too far away from the courses, I noticed, a few days ago, training videos on DJI's site. I haven't watched them yet, so I can't vouch for their worth. But, it is a good step by DJI.

PhantomFanatic said:
I see this both as a plus and a minus. It is great for those that need it or want it. But, it sends a message that this drone is hard to fly, which isn't true, in my opinion.
Don't be surprised if the FAA and the rest of the world's governing authorities take the lead from Canada and require some kind of training to fly commercially.

SteveMann said:
Don't be surprised if the FAA and the rest of the world's governing authorities take the lead from Canada and require some kind of training to fly commercially.
Canada's new rules for sub-2kg commercial use are about as far from what the FAA has hinted at as possible.
Training? The closest thing to mention of training in the sub 2kg exemption is this ..
7. Any person conducting operations under this exemption shall be familiar with the relevant aeronautical information that is appropriate to the intended flight, before commencing a flight.

Read the rule here ...
http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/regse ... n/2880.htm

So what did people think of the training ?

I was a bit disappointed. It seemed to be focused on people with absolutely NO experience... almost a sales presentation. I know it was free, but I thought there would be some special/advanced flying techniques.. It was basically the quick start guide.

In summary... it sucked and if it had cost money I would of been extremely pissed off.

It was a good idea on DJI's part.. offering free "training", it was just completely useless for anyone with a tiny bit of experience flying.
The only thing useful was being able to ask the instructor guy questions..

Perhaps it differed from country to country ? But judging on the wording of the presentation it seems like DJI created it and each sponsor hobby shop just put there logo on.. e.g "How tall can it fly"... That doesn't sound like the wording someone in Aus, EU or USA would use :p

What did the rest of you think ?

*edit* and before anyone says it was free and I shouldn't complain.. I'm not really complaining, just givingg my opinion.. its just negative, so sounds like a complaint :]

PhantomFanatic said:
But, it sends a message that this drone is hard to fly, which isn't true, in my opinion.
It's not hard to fly -- as in get it into the air. But, there are lots of things that could be taught to help people safely fly.

For example, things like:

• Never do a CSC when landing and turning off the motors
  • Understand how RTH works
  • Understanding how and why to set the RTH altitude
  • How and why to switch to NAZA mode

No one else done the training ? or no one else wants to speak up :] ?

I was there.. Melbourne. Annoyed that I didn't win the half price door prize.. lol

Yea, I was disappointed that the training wasn't training. I was in the middle group for the outdoor part. The guy said, "any idiot can fly these things," but made the point that taking all the steps in the right order was important, so you don't end up with a fly-off or a crash, and so it 'homes' properly.

One good thing that I learned was, with CASA requiring Type training, it's about weight, not model. So if I get type certified on a Phantom, that will cover me if I later get an Inspire 1, both being under 7kg.

Oh... and the sandwiches were ok.

I went to the one at UAV Direct outside of Austin, Texas today. There was well over 100 people there. It was top notch, they had the ground school & then spent almost 2 hours letting people fly & then spent the time with any owner that had a specific problem or concern. BTW, I was the big winner. I walked out of there with 2 more batteries & some more props, Tee shirt plus I still have store credit :D

I went to the one at UAV Direct outside of Austin, Texas today. There was well over 100 people there. It was top notch, they had the ground school & then spent probably over 2 hours letting people fly & then spent the time with any owner that had a specific problem or concern. BTW, I was the big winner. I walked out of there with 2 more batteries & some more props, Tee shirt plus I still have store credit :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic