Free/reasonable mapping options?

Reaction score
Hey all - I got Drone Deploy and made a really neat 2D map and exported it as a JPG, then yesterday got an e-mail that I had been on a free trial of "pro" which had run out. Now I can't export to JPG, and the quality is 15cm/pixel vs. 5cm/pixel. And I'm a loooong way from paying $99/month for this!

So I've been looking for some free or at least reasonably priced alternatives. Pix4d is amazing but very expensive; Altizure is cool but I'm really looking for 2D images, though the 3D models are cool. Anybody have any other recommendations?

I feel an app like Litchi is great value; I'm not past paying $20 one time for something like this. Just seems like it's *my* drone doing all the work - isn't there any software that will allow me to use my drone and the processing power of my own PC to do the same thing?

Thanks all!

Check out Drones Made Easy. I've used it several times and enjoy it.

Reactions: theTastyCat
Nice!! Thanks - that may be exactly what I'm looking for. So it's the ten bucks for the app - then either use their Maps Made Easy service to stitch, which isn't too bad, or "your own photogrammetry software" - well, I'd frankly love to use my own photogrammetry software if I had any idea what that was! Do you use software or do you upload?

I use the ap to gather the information and depending on what my needs are I use their service or I use them as-is.

So I do BOTH!

Altizure generate 2D map, too, although they focus more on 3D.

The advantage is its pricing plan. It's free for about 3 gigapixel (about 250 photos), and the quota can grow if you create good 3D models there.

Yeah, Agisoft looks great, but man, it's expensive! Like just about everything. Wish I could find some software to stitch the photos I'd take with Drones Made Easy. I like the 3GP free limit on Altizure but playing around with it today not connected to a drone, looks like it *has* to be a rectangle - wish it was flexible like DroneDeploy! And, I'm not sure, but it looks like I can't export to an image file with Altizure free, which is a deal breaker. I would like a detailed map, including elevation, of my property, without having to spend too much time over neighbor's land. Oh well - getting there!

I guess the million dollar question (that would save me a million dollars) is does anybody know of free (or affordable) software to stitch the images together, then export the result into something I can actually use?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20