Fractured Frame

Reaction score
Ok Fellow Droners...I reeeeeeeally need some advice and guidance here!

As I was removing my props today, one of the motors felt like it had some "give" to it; almost like the motor was sitting on some kind of suspension system. When I examined it, I discover a significant fracture on the underside of the body. The fracture snakes around the 4 main screws and the other 3 smaller screws in the area.

In an attempt to answer some anticipated questions:

1. I've NEVER crashed this drone. I've never even had a "hard" landing.

2. I store it in a DJI hard-shell case when it's not in use.

3. I DO use it frequently. On average, I fly it 3 times a day for roughly 15-25 mins at a time (depending upon typical variables that impact battery drain). This also means I assemble/disassemble multiple times each day.

4. I don't over-tighten. When assembling, I spin the props on just to the point that they "catch" the hub and it begins to turn. As a matter of fact, when I disassemble, I only need to use 1 finger to loosen the props.

Although I'm sure I've overlooked some things, hopefully these answers will help us get to the root cause a little faster.

So...finally...here are my questions:

1. What could've caused this?
2. Is this a common issue?
3. Is there a dependable fix (NOT a rigged-up "band-aid" patch)?
4. Any other questions, thoughts or suggestions?

PLEASE HELP!!! I've had my P3P for about 3 months now and have "babied" from the beginning. We're not wealthy and it took a lot of time, effort & planning in order to save up enough $ to purchase it. In other words, I can't just shrug it off and say, "Oh well...I'll just buy a new one".

1499733173694-521848877.jpg Hope this pic helps to illustrate my dilemma in the previous post.

This is failure of internal plastic mounts. Dji claimed the failures as a result of improper material used in the shells by their 3rd party suppliers. I always felt the reason was critical mechanical design. If your AC is in warranty, contact dji service else buy new shells from Amazon.

Phantom 3 pro has lots of issues with stress cracks, presently I am waiting on a new shell for my P3P, to say improper
material was used in production of these shells is an understatement.

Ok Fellow Droners...I reeeeeeeally need some advice and guidance here!

As I was removing my props today, one of the motors felt like it had some "give" to it; almost like the motor was sitting on some kind of suspension system. When I examined it, I discover a significant fracture on the underside of the body. The fracture snakes around the 4 main screws and the other 3 smaller screws in the area.

In an attempt to answer some anticipated questions:

1. I've NEVER crashed this drone. I've never even had a "hard" landing.

2. I store it in a DJI hard-shell case when it's not in use.

3. I DO use it frequently. On average, I fly it 3 times a day for roughly 15-25 mins at a time (depending upon typical variables that impact battery drain). This also means I assemble/disassemble multiple times each day.

4. I don't over-tighten. When assembling, I spin the props on just to the point that they "catch" the hub and it begins to turn. As a matter of fact, when I disassemble, I only need to use 1 finger to loosen the props.

Although I'm sure I've overlooked some things, hopefully these answers will help us get to the root cause a little faster.

So...finally...here are my questions:

1. What could've caused this?
2. Is this a common issue?
3. Is there a dependable fix (NOT a rigged-up "band-aid" patch)?
4. Any other questions, thoughts or suggestions?

PLEASE HELP!!! I've had my P3P for about 3 months now and have "babied" from the beginning. We're not wealthy and it took a lot of time, effort & planning in order to save up enough $ to purchase it. In other words, I can't just shrug it off and say, "Oh well...I'll just buy a new one".
Shell cracking is well known with the P3 line. I'm actually a bit surprised you haven't heard of it already in the time you've had your P3P. That being said, you have one of the more serious examples that I've seen posted here. If it were mine, I would not put it back in the air. In fact, I would probably just avail of the free shell replacements that DJI does for cracked shells or I'd replace the shell myself.

Thanks everyone!!! I continue to be happily amazed by the sense of helpfulness and community in this forum!

My heart dropped into my stomach when I first noticed the cracks. Further inspection has revealed another hairline fracture developing on the adjacent arm. That crack is currently 1/16". If there's not a reliable way to repair these cracks, it looks like I'll be grounded for the foreseeable future until I can obtain a replacement shell.

As for not being aware of the issue...I'm certainly guilty. Although I did a fair amount of research prior to purchasing my P3P, stress fractures simply didn't show up on my radar at the time. To be fair, most of my research was geared toward the photography/videography capabilities and the aircraft's performance reviews without much regard to structural integrity. Since the P3P was (at the time) at the high-end of the UAV food chain, I assumed (yep...I used that word!) the body/shell would be the least of my concerns. Needless to say...lesson learned!

Thanks again for all comments and suggestions!!! Please continue to post any other advice and ideas that you may have regarding this or other potential issues that pilots may need to be made aware of prior to purchasing a new phantom.

DRONE ON!!!

-Scoop

Reactions: Neon Euc
Just wondering, being mid-summer, could heat storage have been a factor?

I seem to recall some Phantom's getting cracks from being stored in hyper hot vehicles (mid day, direct sun, closed windows) situations?

Maybe even cracking due to travel vibration immediately after such storage?

Just wondering...

Wherever I read it, I'm very careful to avoid that.

Some speculate that the screws holding the motors in place might be overtorqed, even by the factory, which in turn might cause these.

Both of those thoughts occurred to me as well.

I absolutely REFUSE to leave mine in the vehicle. I enjoy flying on my lunch breaks. But instead of leaving it in my car, I take it into the office with me.

Since I take with me every day, that means it also travels in the car frequently. But I would hope that simple car rides wouldn't be a cause of this. However, mixing the travel with hot temps could certainly be a deadly combination.

Thanks for the insight!

Wow! I too am new, and did not know this occurs in the P3's. Does DJI cover cost after warranty since it is a third party problem, or are they crossing their fingers to make it to the end of warranty contracts.

So is there a time frame known when the bad batch of materials was used for the frames or is it one of those, " not if it happens, but WHEN it happens". I did see somewhere someone was selling re enforcement add on motor support ends for Phantoms, is it a good idea to put them on?

Type in "crack repair" in the search option and you'll see a lot of the issues and options out there.

I just ordered these from Amazon to install as contingency protection for stress cracks. Hope these work for you. I've also seen repairs on you tube where the YouTuber repaired the cracks with epoxy first then added the the additional protection covers.
c6f87101919008d80aba3ced2976962f.jpg

Here's a YouTube link on the installation. I didn't realize loctite could damage the plastic.

After reading everyone's advice on this thread and researching the issue in other forums, I've determined my course of action...

1. I'm ordering the reinforcements and will attempt to stabilize the problem.
2. I'm also ordering a replacement shell.

If the reinforcements don't stabilize the defect, I'll replace the shell.

If the reinforcements DO stabilize the defect, I'll then have a backup shell that I can hold in reserve for sometime down the road if needed.

I was literally 5 mins away from applying LocTite when I found the warning against using it. Whew!!!

Just out of curiosity...has anyone personally replaced a shell? If so, did you have good results? I'm worried about messing up the balance of the craft or accidentally damaging critical components.

Thoughts???

Thanks again for your help!!!

-Scoop

Scoop, I'd just wait for the new body shell and fit whichever bracing plates you buy to this new shell. The fractures on your original shell are too far gone to save by fitting the plates. In fact it looks too dangerous a condition to attempt to fly at all. The plates are meant to distribute the stresses of the screws over a wider area, hence reducing the risk of developing stress cracks. Plates are meant for use on hairline cracks to prevent them developing further.

ProP34kCracks.jpeg
Dropbox - ProP34kCracks.jpeg

I have 2 P3's awaiting delivery of 2 sets of plates. The cracks I have are at least minor and I will be treating the innards to a dose of plastic epoxy to try and further strengthen the mounts.
ProP34kCracks.jpeg

Good luck with your transplant of kit into the new frame. :)

Cheers, Alan.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight, Alan!

In light of your advice, I'll be erring on the side of caution and following your recommendations.

I guess I misunderstood or didn't have all of the information needed in order to make the right decision. I was under the impression that, in addition to preventing cracks, the braces & some epoxy would bring everything back together and hold it all in place.

Thanks again!!!

-Scoop

With that mount starting to "crumble", I personally would not attempt to fix it.

Go with the plates on the replacement frame and don't over torque the mounting screws, finger tight and a grade 2 oomph! should be tight enough. Some folk advise not to use thread lock on the screws so use a dab of clear nail varnish instead. Peachy pink will do the job just as well. Remainder can do as a peace offering for the GF or wife when you go for a test flight. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4