Fpvlr stage 2 antenna couple questions need answers needed

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Today I just received my fpvlr stage 2 antenna kit. This will be used with the wifi booster app. No other mods done.
I plan on installing them tonight.

I have to shoot a property tomorrow and some how capture most of the front of the house along with the swimming pool in the back.

In doing this I will probably have to be 750-1000 feet in the air. Also, the bird will probably be (for the most part) directly overhead.

My question is,

1) with the fpvlr stage 2 kit what typically should I expect for altitude before I lose signal? Again, it will be for the most part overhead.

2) do I need to position the fpvlr antennas in any certain direction?

3) should I shoot the stills in JPEG or raw? Knowing I will probably have to zoom and crop in editing due to the high altitude these pics will be shot. Any suggestions?

4) anyone have the best know instructions for installing these?

Thanks guys
Larry

Re: Fpvlr stage 2 antenna couple questions need answers need

The helix antenna and half sphere antenna should be pointing straight up if the bird is directly overhead. 750 to 1000' is not a problem with the stage 2. Because you are pointing at the end of the aircraft antenna (weakest point) its not ideal but I have done 1000' straight up so it should work. The issue is the phone is not in a good position to view with the controller straight up. Test it and see what I mean so you are prepared.

Unfortunately FPVLR doesn't come with any decent documentation or tell you where to get it. Check the videos on his site under the product for info. That might help.

RAW would probably be best, but I have not done it with the P2V+ yet so cant give you any info.

Just did a quick range test with the fpvlr stage 2 kit.

I only got to 2100 feet distance and altitude of 500 feet before phantom connection was lost.
Also, around 1500 feet my fpv screen was slow.

Needless to say, so far not happy :(

I hope I'm doing something wrong (antennas pointed incorrectly?)

Not a bad distance for first time. Takes experience and skill which you will gain with time to stretch it out. Pointing is critical and technique when you make changes. Small can calculated.

LOS is critical with distance.

rrmccabe said:
Not a bad distance for first time. Takes experience and skill which you will gain with time to stretch it out. Pointing is critical and technique when you make changes. Small can calculated.

LOS is critical with distance.

Thanks for the encouraging words!

As for correct antenna pointing, this is what I did. ( now that I think about it, should the rc antenna of been pointed straight up in the air while the wifi antenna is pointed at the phantom?

Wifi antenna (round disk) was pointed at phantom, and rc antenna was also pointed at phantom.

Sorry about not using the correct terminology of the antenna names, I am not sure what they are called.
Lastly, the black antenna on the frontside of the wifi extender, that is pointed at me? Is that correct and what exactly does that one do?

Thanks
Larry

The helix actually points at the Phantom. Thats 5.8 control and does not effect your 2.4ghz Phantom lost message.

The 1/2 sphere on the front of your repeater should be pointing in the same direction as the helix. Directly at the phantom. The black cloverleaf is 90 degrees off the 1/2 sphere which is basically straight up when you are far out and not too high up.

Are you totally line of site so you would have visual if you could see it? Controller is in FCC mode?

I thought the rc antenna was 5.8?
And the wifi is on 2.4?
So the "helix" is the rc control antenna?

At any rate, here is a picture where I flew to test. I am standing just in front of the black car.

I did a range test directly north, and then directly south. Both were about equal in range before I lost phantom connection.

There are trees north about 60 feet, and trees south about 150 feet.
Although I think I would of had Los due to being at 500 feet in altitude.

D1303C77-6DF6-4705-8621-6142F8297AF2.jpg

Larry9901 said:
I thought the rc antenna was 5.8?
And the wifi is on 2.4?
So the "helix" is the rc control antenna?

At any rate, here is a picture where I flew to test. I am standing just in front of the black car.

I did a range test directly north, and then directly south. Both were about equal in range before I lost phantom connection.

There are trees north about 60 feet, and trees south about 150 feet.
Although I think I would of had Los due to being at 500 feet in altitude.

Yes that's right. 5.8 is control which is the helix you attached to the TX controller itself. The WIFI is 2.4 and is the two antennas on the range extender.

Your picture looks like you are as high as out.

Things to consider. The higher antenna gain you have the more precise you need to be with pointing. Basically a directional antenna gets its gains by focusing power in that direction and removing it from other areas. So the antenna is not going to be nearly as forgiving. The sphere would be hard to really point so I try to make sure its lined up with the helix and just point that.

Another thing is the 5.8 control antennas on the phantom are the wires that hang down the leg (dipoles) Their weakest point is off the bottom of the phantom and strongest is directly off the side. So in theory if your phantom was at the same elevation as you then the antenna would be at best point. However there are losses with obstacles etc when close to ground so that is never ideal.

The 2.4 antennas are inside the bird next to battery and to be honest I don't know the radiation characteristics of them. I am sure someone does.

I can tell you that I can fly about 1500' on one side of tree line with bird on other and walk to the other side and fly 5000.

Humidity, foliage, etc come in to play. You will have to make small adjustments in AIMING until you get maximum range with phantom signal and control. It will get to the point you will find you are probably dropping both.

Its way easier to point than the stock antenna but for distance its going to take practice. I have went 9998 with the same setup. Course there are days I try different areas and weather is different and only make 5500 too.

Larry9901 said:
Hey guys,
Today I just received my fpvlr stage 2 antenna kit. This will be used with the wifi booster app. No other mods done.
I plan on installing them tonight.

I have to shoot a property tomorrow and some how capture most of the front of the house along with the swimming pool in the back.

In doing this I will probably have to be 750-1000 feet in the air. Also, the bird will probably be (for the most part) directly overhead.

My question is,

1) with the fpvlr stage 2 kit what typically should I expect for altitude before I lose signal? Again, it will be for the most part overhead.

2) do I need to position the fpvlr antennas in any certain direction?

3) should I shoot the stills in JPEG or raw? Knowing I will probably have to zoom and crop in editing due to the high altitude these pics will be shot. Any suggestions?

4) anyone have the best know instructions for installing these?

Thanks guys
Larry

Hi Larry, could you please put a picture up of your pilot's side upgrade? This way we can see if there is anything you can improve on the pointing and setup.
Have you made the S-Bend in the coax of the 5.8GHz helix?
the 5.8 and 2.4 helix antennas need as much separation as physically possible.

What is your preview setting?

Hello,
My preview quality setting is at 640x480 15fps
Here is a pic of my antenna orientation.

44F7562B-D9F5-438F-ABDE-2ABD199E56C1.jpg

now it looks pretty good, just your 5.8ghz helix is not on the same plane as the 2.4 helix by a little bit.

Do you have Phantom Vision or Phantom VIsion Plus?

Vision Plus has 2x the range of Phantom VIsion (non plus)

Good,
then we will see how it evolves as you get more flights under your belt, gain experience, seeing how you can get the best out of these, also changing location etc.
I'd say you can have a decent idea after 20-30 flights in 2-3 different locations.

One test you can do is trying to switch the port where the half sphere is connected with where the pinwheel is connected.

Another test you can do is by removing the pinwheel altogether and seeing where the half sphere takes you.

mr_3_0_5 said:
Good,
then we will see how it evolves as you get more flights under your belt, gain experience, seeing how you can get the best out of these, also changing location etc.
I'd say you can have a decent idea after 20-30 flights in 2-3 different locations.

One test you can do is trying to switch the port where the half sphere is connected with where the pinwheel is connected.

Another test you can do is by removing the pinwheel altogether and seeing where the half sphere takes you.
I always thought you'd burn out the tx if you didn't have an antenna connected to both ports?

I can speak from experience that it does take a few flights to get the hang of directional antennas. Mt first flight (P2V) after modding I only managed 1700 feet where I can now consistently get ~3200 in 640x480 30fps after getting the hang of aiming.

Stick with it.

These routers with 100-200mw of power are not going to burn out, but if you are concerned with that you can just stick a whip antenna on one of the other ports, since not everyone will have a 50 ohm termination.

mr_3_0_5 said:
now it looks pretty good, just your 5.8ghz helix is not on the same plane as the 2.4 helix by a little bit.

Do you have Phantom Vision or Phantom VIsion Plus?

Vision Plus has 2x the range of Phantom VIsion (non plus)

if I use the RE700 on a phantom vision non plus will I achieve the same range as if I had the plus?

I'm pretty pumped today as I almost hit 8000' with just stage 2 mod. Only problem was that I didn't get back video until about 3000'.

It's for a phantom vision plus

Hello,
My preview quality setting is at 640x480 15fps
Here is a pic of my antenna orientation.

44F7562B-D9F5-438F-ABDE-2ABD199E56C1.jpg
hi Larry any luck on extending the range? I Have the same setup and only getting 1700ft out with 250ft alt.
Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl