Fpv

Reaction score
What is the best FPV, and what hardware and accessories do I need to operate? I am currently using an iPad. At the airfield today, someone showed me their Fat Shark goggles, while they flew their AC. It was easier to see.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You'll need to install the HDMI output module on your remote controller in order to hook up FPV goggles. If you're using the Nvidia Shield K1, another option would be to attach the FPV goggles directly to the Shield -- which would replace the need for the HDMI output module. The difference is that you'll see everything you see in DJI GO instead of the normal FPV view (as seen in this video).

As for FPV goggles, you can use any goggles that have an HDMI input. Most people are using one of the following goggles:
Note: The Fat Shark goggles do not come with a battery charger. If you do not already own a compatible charger, you can buy the Fat Shark battery charger.

Here's a video that explains the difference between the two Fat Shark models above:

So you can spend $600 on the above solutions, or you can spend ~$20 on a VR viewer for your phone
Are you saying the field of view and quality is the same as the HeadPlay HD? If so, that's super impressive and certainly a worthy contender.

Havent tried the headplay, but FOV better than my Skyzone V2. Thats using the VR Box 2 and a 5.5" phone.

Quality will depend on your phone's resolution to some extend (you'll need HD at least), certainly better than my analog FPV, cant compare to HDMI goggle. I cant imagine there being a lot of difference.

Okay, I googgled it (typo pun intended). My VR goggles give me 74 degree FOV with a 5.5" phone. Thats basically the same as the headplay (72) and way better than any fatshark. To give you an idea what that means, Id say that field of view is comparable to wearing a scuba goggle.

Resolution will be about the same too with a 1080p phone. The headplay does 1280x800 with a single screen, your phone will probably give you 1080P or better, divided per 2 (one for each eye), in both cases you get about what the phantom sends anyway, so better doesnt help. Well maybe it does in theory, due to the VR deforming you might lose some quality if your phone doesnt have a higher resolution than your FPV source material, but then you're splitting hairs. And you might well have a UHD capable phone.

Last edited:
If the VR goggles are truly as good or better than FPV goggles vision-wise, then I guess it comes down to some other questions -- like:
  • Does the pilot mind not being able to use DJI GO?
  • Is the pilot using a compatible phone?
  • How convenient is it if the phone is in a case?
  • What happens if the pilot needs to interact with Litchi (i.e. touch the screen) for some reason?

Your last point is valid, even if Litchi is fairly configurable so you shouldnt need it often. But if so, I can slide the phone tray out of my goggles about as fast as I can remove any goggle, so its not a big problem. But to add to your points:
  • Does the pilot prefer to spend > $500 or <$50?

BTW, bebop users have been using this for a long time, and now Parrot showed their own branded version:

Parrot PACK FPV - Store Parrot

Im sure DJI will too at some point.

PS: many of these goggles come with a bluetooth controller, that Im sure litchi will support at some point. Until then, know that you can just use a wireless mouse if you really wanted to. At least with android, not sure on iOS.

Also, you can use headtracking (to control gimbal) and gestures. Something the headplays cant, and I highly doubt you can use the fatshark/skyzone headtracking with a phantom without excellent soldering skills :)

Last edited:
Does the pilot prefer to spend > $500 or <$50?
Yes, there is a difference $$ wise. The spread is not quite as far as you're showing though. If you have an Nvidia Shield K1, you could get the HeadPlay HD for $269. Or, $369 if you need to purchase the HDMI output module too.

You can buy VR goggles for <$5 ($2 for this one). Okay those are literally made from cardboard, you probably want to spend at least a few dollars extra. On Amazon, $13 will get you these, which seem to be identical to mine:
https://www.amazon.com/OCT17-Virtual-Adjustable-Distance-Smartphones/dp/B01GKMEF3Y/ref=sr_1_23?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1472404832&sr=1-23&refinements=p_36:2491156011

Thats cheap enough to just buy without thinking and seeing if you like the idea of goggles. $369 /$13= 28x cheaper. Thats even more than what I implied ;). Added benefit is that you can use them to experiment with VR video/games on android. Its not an Oculus rift killer, but it does give you the idea.

OTOH of course, the big advantage of the headplays is that you can use them for other other RC craft that use analog FPV.

Last edited:
So much depends on your budget of course...If you will use DJI Go only and have funds to purchase Fat Shark - then go for it. The glasses are really cool. But, unfortunately, you can't use them with many other FPV Apps.
I just purchase VR Box 2 Glasses + Dream Flight App at ebay for $43 and very happy.
Buy Dream Flights app or bundle with VR glasses
It all i need for now :)

Dammit I just returned my galaxy VR I couldn't justify having it because I wasn't using it, if I would of known. Does it work well?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I use VR BOX 2 Glasses ( average price at amazon /ebay is $9), so I can't objectively give comments on Samsung. Some of my friends has Samsung VR and his is happy. If you never tried FPv and not sure how often you will fly - try FPV with cheap VR Glasses and then decide what you need and how much you are ready to invest.

The issue with using the Samsung Gear VR Goggles is that they plug into your phone, so how do you use your phone with the Phantom controller then? Can you use a micro USB splitter or something?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik