FPV Systems Which fat Shark?

Reaction score
Ok I am sold, I want to do FPV. I have been looking at the different fatshark systems listed on HobbyKing.com and I am not sure why I would choose.

Here are the systems
- FatShark PredatorV2 RTF FPV Headset System w/Camera and 5.8G TX - $279.00
- FatShark AttitudeSD FPV Headset System w/5.8G TX - $369.00

I don't think the head tracking feature is something I will ever use (maybe I am wrong) ,I would rather spend the $$ on the attitude system if it really is going to be clearer and much better.

But if there is not a lot of difference in the 2 I would rather save $90

Any help would be appreciated.

Maxxborg said:
Ok I am sold, I want to do FPV. I have been looking at the different fatshark systems listed on HobbyKing.com and I am not sure why I would choose.

Here are the systems

I don't think the head tracking feature is something I will ever use (maybe I am wrong) ,I would rather spend the $$ on the attitude system if it really is going to be clearer and much better.

Loving my pred v2's.. Highly suggest for the price.

mercillus said:
Maxxborg said:

Here are the systems

Did you buy any upgrades to it? Are you running it through the gopro?

Maxxborg said:
mercillus said:
Maxxborg said:

Here are the systems

Did you buy any upgrades to it? Are you running it through the gopro?

Run it with go and without. Only up I did is the immersion 600mw board I wanted to try since I live around a lot of power lines. That came in a few days a go but the 250mw that came with it worked just fine. I got bored so to speak and trying BIGGER BADDER stuff. Not that I needed it at all :D .

I have the Attitude SD with the upgraded 600w tx. I wanted the Predator V2, but they were out of stock worldwide. The only place I found them was on ebay and they were going for over $350! The Attitude SD was readily available at many stores and was the same price. Seemed like no brainer to me. The clarity in the attitude goggles is amazing. I actually prefer flying with them on as opposed to flying with eye sight. As a real world pilot, it makes flying the Phantom while in ATTI mode SIMPLE! The only draw back with the Attitude that I noticed is the fact that it has a separate power board, that I had to velcro to the batter lid.

I have Attitude SD. Great goggles image. Still with 250 mw, but inmmersion 600mw on the way for reducing interference beyond 300 mts. :D I connected goggles to additional 8" LCD powered with same batteries than phantom (12v 2200 mah), runnig more than 1 hour !. While I'm using goggles other people can view on LCD simultaneasly and viceversa. :mrgreen:

Attitude connected to GoPro Hero3 Black and also to Sony FPV 520tvl minicam. Both provides great Video quality and gopro + audio.
Here my help diagrams i did in other forum:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25052727&postcount=4

it's a tough call,
the head tracking sounds neat,. but also requires a Futaba and even then, you probably won't have much use for it. (I played around a little bit, but gave up, no real need for it).
But the Attitudes do have a larger FOV and adjustable IPD (makes it a bit easier to focus), so that's cool.

the predator tho, come with it's own camera AND battery
-attitude doesn't even come with a battery (which can be difficult to find in stock anywhere)

So it really just does come down to budget, and if you think you might be enjoying this hobby for a lont time and feel it's worht it to have better goggles.

Here's another potential fpv client; with a slightly different question:
How is the USB output on the gopro 3 black for fpv? I read it might come with delayed video, and its better to use the port in the back? Is this true?

I'm looking at the fat shark systems too, but unfortunately my eye sight is too far off for the available diopter inserts.. I've made an appointment with the optician to look at the possibilities for contact lenses :mrgreen:

Did a lot of flightsimming and fpv rc flight sims, can't wait to get into the real deal!

the GoPro makes for an excellent FPV camera.
there is no delay.

if you mess around with the GoPro Wifi using the preview app on a phone, now THAT has a huge delay (4+ seconds), but you don't want to be using Wifi while flying with the Phantom anyhow.

just bought the attitude sd system. I didn't realize it didn't come with a battery as someone already suggested (for the goggles). It also turns out there seems to be no one that has them in stock. What I ended up doing is making my own cable to use one of my spare batteries I use to power the phantom. Works great, and would highly recommend you doing the same if you go the attitude route. One reason is the stock battery cable to connect is short so you keep the battery by your head with the goggles on. The cable I made, I made the cable really long for it so I could actually put the battery in my pocket while I had the goggles on.

I have realized I am not happy with the distance I get with the stock antenna's. I start to lose picture too early in my opinion. However, I was told the upgraded antenna's can increase the range like 60%.

socman said:
just bought the attitude sd system. I didn't realize it didn't come with a battery as someone already suggested (for the goggles). It also turns out there seems to be no one that has them in stock. What I ended up doing is making my own cable to use one of my spare batteries I use to power the phantom. Works great, and would highly recommend you doing the same if you go the attitude route. One reason is the stock battery cable to connect is short so you keep the battery by your head with the goggles on. The cable I made, I made the cable really long for it so I could actually put the battery in my pocket while I had the goggles on.

I have realized I am not happy with the distance I get with the stock antenna's. I start to lose picture too early in my opinion. However, I was told the upgraded antenna's can increase the range like 60%.

Be advise, phantom batteries are 3S 2200 mah 12v, Fat Shark goggles uses 7.4v 2S, 1000 mah

Maxxborg said:
Why are guys wanting the immersion 600mw over the stock 250mw? Does it give you clearer picture? Or longer distance?
60% + distance without loosing signal quality. Works great trhough trees and other obstacles ;)

Maxxborg said:
jumanoc said:
Maxxborg said:
Why are guys wanting the immersion 600mw over the stock 250mw? Does it give you clearer picture? Or longer distance?
60% + distance without loosing signal quality. Works great trhough trees and other obstacles ;)

Where do you find those? Hobby king?

No man.... HK has all in OUT OF STOCK. I bought it from UK:

http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/transmitters/5.8ghz/immersionrc-5.8ghz-long-range-600mw-transmitter
43388909fa28b6f0390409090865938a.image.335x550.jpg

jumanoc said:
socman said:

Be advise, phantom batteries are 3S 2200 mah 12v, Fat Shark goggles uses 7.4v 2S, 1000 mah
If you read the manual, the fat shark goggles can take 7-13V. So the 12V of the 3S phantom battery is within spec. The higher mah only means the battery will last longer.
Volts = how big the bucket
mah = how full the bucket is.

but ya, only do this if you are comfortable with it. =)
I read others doing it, and I also ran it this way 2-3 times and haven't had issues.
the only thing I was scared about was making sure the cable I made was not shorted anywhere. =)

hmm...I had taken mine off because I wasn't sure if it would cause heat issues.
but now am wishing I would've kept it on.

socman said:
hmm...I had taken mine off because I wasn't sure if it would cause heat issues.
but now am wishing I would've kept it on.
Buy some "shrink silicone tubes" you put VTX, OSD or any circuits or wires in it, and just with some heat (lighter), it will be shrinkedaround to isolate and protecti all stuff.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-ID-ThermO...429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c826087d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/127-Pc-Heat...398?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51adb40626

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31