FPV system on Phantom 2

Reaction score
If i buy a phantom 2 and a Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal and a GoPro, what do i need in order to get FPV to the phantom 2? Do i need some kind of a downlink or which are the necessary parts needed? Obviously i will need a screen, but other than that? Or can i use it with the iPhone just as with the Vision drones?

No, you cannot use an iPhone, as on the Phantom 2, the radio control signal is on the same frequency band as the Go-Pro Wifi, and it WILL cause interference and reduce control range massively. TBH, the Wifi is only good for 30' most of the time anyway! The Vision drones use a different R/C frequency and a wifi range extender. This does not give you the control and vdeo range of a well set up P2 though.

You need a video downlink - ideally on the 5.8GHz band, the correct cable to plug this into the video output on the quadcopter, a matching monitor and a set of antennae.

If you search this site, you will find loads of different threads on this, suggesting the equipment to get and how to install it.

Thanks for a good answer. Well i guess you get what you pay for, As other people also has told me here on the forum the Vision / Vision + aren't the best solutions when it comes to video quality and range, but they are out of the box solutions which i prefer, and also much cheaper than buying a P2 with a gimbal, camera and the FPV system. But at the same time if I'm going to pay 1400 USD i can as well pay a bit more and get a good system. I wonder why they made the P2´s operating frequency 2,4 Ghz?

2.4Ghz is pretty much the new standard for R/C, with most aircraft and cars now shipped with this type.

5.8GHz is quite rare, with DJi being the main users, as wifi on 5.8GHz does not have enough range to be of any use.

Okay i see,So all the other systems that use 2,4 Ghz as their operating frequency can't use the 2,4 Ghz for their FPV systems? I guess their frequencies are opposite from the DJI Phantom drones then, 2,4 Ghz as their operating frequency and 5,8 Ghz for the FPV?

By the way has anybody compered the Walker QRX350 Pro with its iLook camera and 2D gimbal with the DJI Phantom 2 Vision + ? I wonder if the stability and smoothness of the video is about the same in these two machines? I guess the 2D gimbal can make it a bit worse?

Depending where in the world you live, there are other frequency bands available.

In the US, you can use 1.3GHz - if you have a radio ham licence. This has much better propagation than (Distance) than 5.8GHz, even if the aerials are a bit bigger.

In the UK, things are more limited, so you are stuck legally with 25mW on 5.8GHz. Frankly this is a challenge with analogue systems, so many people (ahem!) use a slightly more powerful TX to give them a usable range.

The 2.4GHz band is very congested, with everything from microwave ovens to wifi, to video links and wireless video and audio senders all competing for bandwidth. Some of these devices can "wideband" their signal over quite a lot of the spectrum, making things even worse.

Nothing wrong with the Walkera system and even with a 2D gimbal, you can still get really good images. Check out the flight time though, as I understand it can be quite limited. Trade support is not quite so good, so you may struggle to find some accessories and add ons, but it is still a very decent rig.

So about the range, will a change of antenna increase the range, or do one need to increase the TX power? I guess it could increase the range at least a bit with a bigger and better antenna?

So you say a 2D gimbal can still take good pictures and steady and smooth videos, so in a comparison between a 2D gimbal and a 3D gimbal, will there be a significant difference or is the difference small between those two?

The QRX 350 Pro is much cheaper than the Phantom 2 Vision+, yet they seem to have almost the same functions, the difference that i can see is that the QRX350 Pro only has a 2D gimbal while the P2V+ has a 3D gimbal. Also i don't know the difference in quality between the QRX350 Pro´s iLook camera and the P2V+ camera?
But both use 11,1 V, 5200 mAh batteries and has a flight time of about 25 minutes.

Both better antennas and more Transmitter, Vtx, power will increase range. HOWEVER, it is always better for several reasons to start with better antennas. You are limited with choices on the Vtx side due to size but on the receiver ,Vrx , you can use a good directional antenna for much better range.
Getting a more powerful Vtx will also consume more battery power thus reducing your flight time.
In my opinion the best Vtx for our use out there is the Immersion 600mw. It is very small and light and efficient with output in excess of 600mw.

As far as stills go a 2 axis gimbal is all you need.

Tom

About the range on the Vision 2+ I was getting 4,200 feet away at 380 foot altitude in my neigborhood. I also have a P2 with 600mw with the ibcrazy blue beam Ultra and I hve a hard time getting to 4,000 feet. I was searching for something better for antennas So I can exceed the P2V+

I don't know if i shall buy the Phantom 2 Vision + or a Phantom 2 with the H3-3D gimbal and a downlink and a screen plus a iosd module and of course a GoPro? Smooth video recordings is a important thing for me. I guess the Zenmuse gimbal is better than the vision + gimbal? Does the mW on the TX transmitter makes a lot of difference to the range? I have seen a Boscam 200 mW and the DJI 500 mW, will there be a big difference on the range between these two?

Read my previous post.

A Immersion 600mw Vtx with a Black Pearl receiver and a couple of cloverleaf antennas will work fine and the addition of a helical antenna on the receiver will make this a great setup.

Tom

Looking at people's footage, I would say there is very little between the gimbal quality on a P2/H3-3D and a V+. Camera wise, the Go-Pro has more options to fiddle with, but there is nothing wrong with the V+ either.

The built in ground station might be a deciding point however, particularly if you can get good control range. This can be less on a V+, but I bet you can get Line of Sight in most cases.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.