FPV Setup Use P2 Battery or additional Lipo

Reaction score
I am installing my FPV system very soon on my P2, just waiting on rest of components to arrive. After reading multiple threads I have seen a common theme that running the FPV components to the P2 power source can cause "problems". I am not sure exactly what problems can occur but it has raised concern with me on how I should set up my fpv. So should I just run my fpv system and tarot gimbal directly to the P2 battery or should I purchase another lipo dedicated to powering the additional component? Will I get greater flight time by adding the lipo or will the additional weight of lipo drain my P2 battery faster? Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

I have not heard of anyone using a separate battery to run fpv gear on a P2. Not saying its not done but have not heard of it.
It seems like a bad idea due to the added weight if the battery. You will most likely be at or over max recommended weight with standard FPV gear so adding a battery will surely put you into overweight operation.

Tom

I reread you post and see where you might be getting a little conflicted. Yes, in many situations using a separate battery to power Vtx and gimbal is normal. BUT this is on larger multirotors but does not apply to the P2.

Ok thanks for your help I did read on here that people were using additional batteries but maybe it was for the P1. How many minutes of flight can I expect out of my P2 with FPV and gimbal?

dano7602 said:
Ok thanks for your help I did read on here that people were using additional batteries but maybe it was for the P1. How many minutes of flight can I expect out of my P2 with FPV and gimbal?

15-20min my best is 19:32 with P2 w/Immersion 600mw Tx - iOSD mini

tom3holer said:
Around 12-15 min.

Tom

thats too low, i have a timer on my futaba go off at 15min to warn me to check batt. but its not full low batt at 15.

Haze said:
tom3holer said:
Around 12-15 min.

Tom

thats too low, i have a timer on my futaba go off at 15min to warn me to check batt. but its not full low batt at 15.

I usually am flying 800m or so away photographing real estate and to have a safe margin will return and land within the time frame.

Tom

I found and followed this video guide to install my iOSDm and Boscam video Tx (he uses an IRC) internally and using the Phantom's power. I haven't had any problems or noticed a significant decrease in flight time, I'll back the 15-20minutes timeframe. With no gimbal/gopro it definitely lasts a lot longer 25 mins or maybe even more.

I can't give you the exact thread or post but in one of the many discussion on this topic that happen around here I remember someone making a very coherent argument that weight is a much larger factor to flight time than a video Tx. the power drain of 200, 400 or 600mW is negligible to flight time compared to only a few grams of weight.

the point being, the weight you add with a separate battery will decrease your flight time more than just tapping your vTx into the Phantom's power (within reason - no need for 1000+mW Tx).

combined with that video it should be easy for you to set up even if you don't have the same transmitter if you understand basic cabling enough that you're willing to solder you should be able to figure out which cables to connect

If you use the Immersion Vtx and a Iosd as shown in the video, which is very good by the way, there is now a cable you can buy that eliminates any soldering. It speeds up things and also has the advantage that if you ever have to send your P2 back to DJI for problems you can always return it to its factory state so as to not void any warrantee.

Tom

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4